TEXAS & OKLAHOMA INQUIRING ABOUT JOINING THE SEC?!?!?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Re: TEXAS & OKLAHOMA INQUIRING ABOUT JOINING THE SEC?!?!?

Post by commadore »

docdore wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:24 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:34 pm
mathguy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:18 pm

Fair enough. Not sure I agre, but fair enough.

As to your first point, right now in order to be good enough to have a realistic chance of winning the SEC you need to have a realistic chance of winning the National Title. Adding Texas and Oklahoma doesn't change that. It's no harder to beat Alabama, Oklahoma, and LSU than it is to beat Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. I don't think that matters much.

Regarding your second point, I don't think you are wrong, but I think your argument is a personal opinion and not a business decision.Yes, adding Texas and Oklahoma does make the SEC less of an actual "southeastern" conference ... but I promise you that is, at best, 38th on Greg Sankey's priority list. This may cost us some charm ... but it makes a whole lotta cash!

Finally, I think you are right, that it is the next step toward the complete realignment of college football. It is coming. Following this, I am wondering if the Big 12 will be defunct in a few years. Shoot, CBSSports had an article about the likely conferences for the remaining Big 12 teams to jump to.
In sports, do names matter all that much? How much "jazz" is in Utah? How tropical is Flint, MI?

I've actually had to explain to people WHO LIVE IN CLEVELAND what "the Guardians" means there.**

so what does "the guardians" mean in cleveland?
It means the powers that be bowed to the "woke" idiots. It is never the Native Americans who want it changed, just those who think they know better than any one else.

nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

mathguy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:18 pm

Fair enough. Not sure I agre, but fair enough.

As to your first point, right now in order to be good enough to have a realistic chance of winning the SEC you need to have a realistic chance of winning the National Title. Adding Texas and Oklahoma doesn't change that. It's no harder to beat Alabama, Oklahoma, and LSU than it is to beat Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. I don't think that matters much.

Regarding your second point, I don't think you are wrong, but I think your argument is a personal opinion and not a business decision.Yes, adding Texas and Oklahoma does make the SEC less of an actual "southeastern" conference ... but I promise you that is, at best, 38th on Greg Sankey's priority list. This may cost us some charm ... but it makes a whole lotta cash!

Finally, I think you are right, that it is the next step toward the complete realignment of college football. It is coming. Following this, I am wondering if the Big 12 will be defunct in a few years. Shoot, CBSSports had an article about the likely conferences for the remaining Big 12 teams to jump to.
In sports, do names matter all that much? How much "jazz" is in Utah? How tropical is Flint, MI?

I've actually had to explain to people WHO LIVE IN CLEVELAND what "the Guardians" means there.**

I was not for the name change, but the name "Guardians" has a closer connection to the City of Cleveland than "Indians".

From The New York Post:
"The name 'Guardians' specifically refers to the city’s famous Art Deco statues. The four pylons of Cleveland’s Hope Memorial Bridge (originally the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge), which connects downtown Cleveland with the city’s Ohio City neighborhood across the Cuyahoga River, each contain two unique sculptures, one facing each direction. These 43-foot-tall sandstone slabs are known as the 'Guardians of Traffic.'

Each Guardian consists of a human-like figure clasping a specific vehicle, ranging from wagons to stagecoaches to trucks. As famed bridge engineer Wilbur Watson wrote, the Guardians were designed to 'typify the spirit of progress in transportation.'

The bridge’s construction was completed in 1932, finishing in the early years of the Great Depression. It stretches 5,865 feet long and stands 93 feet above the river below."
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Folks, let's stay on topic.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:27 pm

I was not for the name change, but the name "Guardians" has a closer connection to the City of Cleveland than "Indians".

From The New York Post:
"The name 'Guardians' specifically refers to the city’s famous Art Deco statues. The four pylons of Cleveland’s Hope Memorial Bridge (originally the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge), which connects downtown Cleveland with the city’s Ohio City neighborhood across the Cuyahoga River, each contain two unique sculptures, one facing each direction. These 43-foot-tall sandstone slabs are known as the 'Guardians of Traffic.'

Each Guardian consists of a human-like figure clasping a specific vehicle, ranging from wagons to stagecoaches to trucks. As famed bridge engineer Wilbur Watson wrote, the Guardians were designed to 'typify the spirit of progress in transportation.'

The bridge’s construction was completed in 1932, finishing in the early years of the Great Depression. It stretches 5,865 feet long and stands 93 feet above the river below."
thanks, yank.
Locked Previous topicNext topic