TEXAS & OKLAHOMA INQUIRING ABOUT JOINING THE SEC?!?!?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

TEXAS & OKLAHOMA INQUIRING ABOUT JOINING THE SEC?!?!?

Post by BrentVU »

So reports the Houston Chronicle...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas- ... 330080.php

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: TEXAS & OKLAHOMA INQUIRING ABOUT JOINING THE SEC?!?!?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

"An announcement could come within a couple of weeks concerning the potential addition of UT and OU to the league, the person said"

And here's the non-denial from Greg Sankey:
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

A lot to unpack here, but it would almost certainly mean the elimination of divisions in the conference. The league would likely to go a pod system with three or four permanent opponents, with the remainder rotating each year.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

$$$
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Just two quick thoughts, among several others I have about this idea:

1. Texas and Oklahoma could dramatically up the ante on NIL within the conference. Oil men have very deep pockets indeed.

2. CCL mentioned the competitive advantages of VU being in Nashville in his remarks in Hoover today. I'm not too worried about Norman and Greater Oklahoma City -- but Austin is another matter, if location counts as much as Coach Lea says.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:55 pm Just two quick thoughts, among several others I have about this idea:

1. Texas and Oklahoma could dramatically up the ante on NIL within the conference. Oil men have very deep pockets indeed.

2. CCL mentioned the competitive advantages of VU being in Nashville in his remarks in Hoover today. I'm not too worried about Norman and Greater Oklahoma City -- but Austin is another matter, if location counts as much as Coach Lea says.
Austin would become the second best SEC city (replacing ????).
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

If this happens, because of the Longhorn network it is possible it won’t be active until 2024 when ESPN takes over all the major TV football contracts(except ND). By then NIL will be going strong and probably the first year of the 12 team playoff. Enjoy these last 2 or maybe 3 years of something that resembles “amateur” “student athletes” playing college football in the power five.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:15 pm "An announcement could come within a couple of weeks concerning the potential addition of UT and OU to the league, the person said"

And here's the non-denial from Greg Sankey:
I read this as meaning... negotiations are taking place and it's likely to happen.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Not much of a denial.

I think it would make our position more tenuous in the SEC. An SEC super conference would get no higher TV ratings in middle TN with Vandy than without. It only depends on whether they want to keep us around as a punching bag and academic window dressing. Baseball? Basketball. It's clear that the future of conferences and college athletics is simply being dictated by football.

Enjoy the last couple of years of the lie of college football before the big lie takes hold. Or maybe it's just actually honest.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

The SEC's bylaws reportedly require new members receive approval from 3/4 of the membership. That means 11 yes votes. I would think A&M would squarely be a big no.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

A&M already had their initial public freak-out over this today. Their A.D. issued a statement proclaiming that they want to be the only SEC team in the state of Texas. The article stated that if 11 of 14 existing SEC teams vote to expand, it won't matter what he wants. He can go pound sand. As if Okie State or Texas Tech wouldn't LOVE to replace A&M in the SEC? Or somebody from the ACC? Like Florida State?
mnvandy
Lieutenant

Post by mnvandy »

Johnmn555 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:50 pm Not much of a denial.

I think it would make our position more tenuous in the SEC. An SEC super conference would get no higher TV ratings in middle TN with Vandy than without. It only depends on whether they want to keep us around as a punching bag and academic window dressing. Baseball? Basketball. It's clear that the future of conferences and college athletics is simply being dictated by football.

Enjoy the last couple of years of the lie of college football before the big lie takes hold. Or maybe it's just actually honest.
Honestly, it isn't the worst idea to go knocking at the Big Ten's door IMO. They'll be looking to expand too, and Vandy's definitely a better fit culturally there than what the SEC is no longer hiding: Football IS the priority. It'd also give the Big Ten a foot in the door in the Southeast, which while not Texas, is still a good prize.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

What about VU to the ACC? Not advocating it, just asking.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Johnmn555 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:50 pm Not much of a denial.

This was almost exactly my thoughts when I read this as well. In a Super Conference, what does Vandy bring to the table? It isn't a large (or even medium) fanbase and they get good ratings in Middle Tennessee with or without them (as you stated). Baseball = 1/20th football in the SEC's eyes so the only saving grace IMHO is the SEC bylaws and the fact someone has to lose - why not the small private school.
mnvandy
Lieutenant

Post by mnvandy »

Seadog73 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:25 pmWhat about VU to the ACC? Not advocating it, just asking.
That...is not an option I hadn't considered but it's not like the ACC doesn't have experience with private schools with great academics.

I really feel like if Chancellor Diermeier and CSL play their cards right they have a few options like the ACC & Big Ten they can consider if this is how the SEC sees the future.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I don’t understand how/why this move would jeopardize VU’s position in the SEC. Seems like the point is to expand to 16 teams. Would the whole 3/4 of members must vote for a change stipulation apply to voting another team out??? I somewhat doubt that the SEC would push to remove a charter member.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I don't think it's a matter of the SEC pushing VU out. I don't think that will happen. I think the question is, is this new SEC environment going to make it exponentially harder for Vanderbilt to compete (in football) than it already is -- eventually prompting VU and its fans to consider whether tradition and the big SEC payoff are worth staying in a place where it seems increasingly out of place.

I can think of at least two ways this would harm VU:

1. With 16 teams, the pressure will be on to cut the number of easier-win OOC games in order to play more conference games -- against even tougher opponents. (And possibly increase, yet again, the number of games in the regular season.)

2. And IMO, the addition of two more superpowers, with very rich benefactors, will only exacerbate VU's NIL disadvantage.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

The loser in all this would be in my opinion, Alabama. Where they now go 11-1 or 12-0 each year, these two would present a better than average chance for a loss for the Tide. No skin off my nose, but don't be surprised if they vote "no."
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

Interesting that the rumors involve the Big 12. We had a healthy debate on this board several years back regarding the Big Ten.

My grad degree is from Purdue, back in the 70s. Hardly anyone there had heard of Vanderbilt (outside of the faculty); one guy honestly thought it was the University of Tennessee at Vanderbilt. My VU classmates asked me why I wanted to go to grad school in Boston! The world was much smaller back then.

Between NIL and the expiration of certain television contracts, we could be on a roller coaster for the next few years. As the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet puts it: "Buckle up; Phone down."
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Not sure if Vandy would get 40+ million a year from those other conferences...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic