TEXAS & OKLAHOMA INQUIRING ABOUT JOINING THE SEC?!?!?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Re: TEXAS & OKLAHOMA INQUIRING ABOUT JOINING THE SEC?!?!?

Post by LawoftheWest »

Several years ago there was talk about a "Super Conference" consisting of Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State, Alabama and so forth. It never materialized. If the Super Conference were to be formed, one team would have to finish last, another next to last. How would that sit in Austin, South Bend, Columbus, Tuscaloosa and so forth? That is one reason that other SEC teams are delighted to have Vandy in the SEC. We are usually a predictable win for other teams, plus we add academic credibility to the SEC conference.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I know it is difficult even dangerous to forget the past, but this is a new day at Vanderbilt with an administration and football coach pledged to making football and athletics excellent. It is a new day at Vanderbilt and whatever the SEC decides, it is consistent with VU's decision to be excellent in football and to be excellent you compete with the best. Onward and upward!
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

UTexas is a bully. Austin use to be an awesome, awesome town. It worked great as a town of 100K. It does not work well as a town of +1 million. It's a disaster.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Texas caused problems with the Big XII when they got their own network. They only care about themselves - would be wary letting them in the $EC.

Bully is an accurate word.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

No need to talk about VU to another conference. This is about money. And the money is in the SEC. We've sucked forever because of bad coaching and crap support, not because there's inherently something broken with us being competitive.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

It would be time to officially change the S to $

$EC
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Texas would bring 3 things to the table (2 have been mentioned city and money) but also this:
"UT Austin is the number 6 public university in the U.S. and number 29 among publics and privates in the 2021 edition of the QS World University Rankings."
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I doubt that Texas's status as a quality university plays any role in the SEC's thinking on this.

You have to look at this in conjunction with the new pay the players developments to see how untenable Vandy's position would be. More conference games in a mega heavy weight conference with paid players. How would we get Ws and compete? We already have a deal with the devil to have the program paid for in exchange for losing. The terms of that deal would just become more extreme and obvious.

I don't see what we bring to the table in the eyes of the Big 10 or ACC. Is a Rutgers-Maryland game going to boost TV ratings in Middle TN because VU is in the Big 10? Hardly.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

NIL, 12 team playoff, ratings, ratings, ratings. A whole new environment is developing...

Too early for me to understand what it means to private schools like ours. So many possibilities: 16 team SEC; 40 team super-football conference; Magnolia League in all sports for schools like ours; the combinations are endless.

I expect the UT/OU secession to play out over a number of months if not a couple of years, so i think this uncertainly will languish for a while.

I went to law school at Tulane and conference USA (or whatever conference they are in) and the SEC are planets away from each other when it comes to school spirit etc. So would hate to go to a lesser conference. On the other hand, to have semi-pro athletes wearing the V to entertain students, alums and the occasional (i wish there were more) local fan is really not what sports are supposed to be about here at Vandy. A ton of food for thought and discussion for sure.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

buffy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:06 am No need to talk about VU to another conference. This is about money. And the money is in the SEC. We've sucked forever because of bad coaching and crap support, not because there's inherently something broken with us being competitive.
Unless the SEC increases the tv money if/when Texas & Okie join, the tv money from the BigTen would be around the same amount. And they would LOVE to put Vandy in a division opposite from Northwestern. Plus they already have a 66,000 enrollment elephant in the room even bigger than Texas.

So, yes, people are going to talk about bolting no matter who likes it or not. And the BigTen and ACC will always be mentioned.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:19 pm A lot to unpack here, but it would almost certainly mean the elimination of divisions in the conference. The league would likely to go a pod system with three or four permanent opponents, with the remainder rotating each year.
You could be spot on, and I've seen the pods concept bandied about a lot. But, if the SEC adds a 9th conference game, a 2-division schedule should be fine. OU and Tejas would likely join the SEC West and logically, Alabama and Auburn move to the East. Some other juggling could happen, but that works geographically, as long as you continue to ignore where Missouri is.
Vandy84
Ensign

Post by Vandy84 »

Vanderbilt holds a 8-3-1 record against Texas.
If Texas joins the SEC in 2025 or later, Vanderbilt would have a winning record against a conference appointment well beyond the 100 year anniversary of its last meeting with Texas in 1928.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

You should have heard Nebraska people on the subject of Texas. THE reason they got out of the big 12.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:29 am I know it is difficult even dangerous to forget the past, but this is a new day at Vanderbilt with an administration and football coach pledged to making football and athletics excellent. It is a new day at Vanderbilt and whatever the SEC decides, it is consistent with VU's decision to be excellent in football and to be excellent you compete with the best. Onward and upward!
I think to "be excellent" you have to win a few games too, not just compete.
thefan
Captain

HORRIBLE IDEA!

Post by thefan »

Why not just conglomerate all the football programs into one huge super conference with the exception of Notre Dame. Let the SEC crown its champion; let Notre Dame play a 12 game intramural schedule; then crown Alabama National Champs!

Conferences should be no larger than the number of members who are able to play each other at least once in football, home and away in basketball, and at least twice in baseball.

Oh yeah, the NCAA needs to add about 30 or 40 more meaningless and boring bowl games to the current list!
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

vujoe wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:51 pm You should have heard Nebraska people on the subject of Texas. THE reason they got out of the big 12.

That is also part of the reason A&M left the Big 12 to join the SEC. A&M could not stand all of the money that Texas was generating and keeping for itself from the Longhorn Network.

Texas and A&M had been fierce natural rivals for many years, filling stadiums. That did not matter to Texas which was greedy and arrogant in establishing the Longhorn Network.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:00 pmAustin would become the second best SEC city (replacing ????).
Actually #2-#13 have been vacant for a LONG time. 13 towns tied for #14.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I think nearly every response in this thread has a great degree of merit.

First off, I want to say this: HELL NO to the big ten. I'm not sure what everyone's infatuation with them is. I absolutely DO NOT want to be associated as a midwestern school for one. And they are NOT nearly as angelic as everyone thinks. I don't want to be associated with that mindset, and while it's different from the SEC footprint, let me tell you it is really annoying. Now the ACC would be acceptable to me, with or without ND. I think they are more in line with who we are and where we are.

I'm not sure whether this OK/Tx expansion talk is good or bad for us. We are superior to both programs in baseball, we certainly COULD compete in men's and women's basketball (notwithstanding the past 5 years), and I think with the right coach(es) we could at least be competitive in football (anybody remember the James Franklin years? Think of what would have happened if he stayed. What if HCCL stays here at home and ends up being another Jimmy Frank except doesn't leave?). It's not like we would play OK/TX every year. Our chances for winning the SEC, if we were to get that far, would be tougher by maybe one hard game instead of a toss-up. The difference is not as big as we think.

As for NIL competition... I think this would absolutely benefit Vandy. The eyes of the ENTIRE country would be on the SEC. We would be IT. Every other conference would be fourth fiddle. Sponsors would be completely drawn to the conference. Would they rather pay a player for a (let's assume) Vandy team that is in the bottom portion of the conference, or a similar player for a decent pac12 or big10 team that gets no TV time or mention on espn/whoever else? I'm betting the Vandy player, because at least they are in the conference that gets all the attention.

[oh, I read the Nebraska thread mentioned above for entertainment value. Pay no attention. While Texas does have huge britches, correct, Nebraska has had penis envy of Texas for decades. Nebraska is a wanna-be that has barely won anything since the 80s, which is why they bolted for the little 10 and that backfired on them immensely since they can't compete there either because, well, they are just Nebraska. They long for the times of hair bands. LOL]
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

dallasdore wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:28 pm
I'm not sure whether this OK/Tx expansion talk is good or bad for us. We are superior to both programs in baseball, we certainly COULD compete in men's and women's basketball (notwithstanding the past 5 years), and I think with the right coach(es) we could at least be competitive in football (anybody remember the James Franklin years? Think of what would have happened if he stayed. What if HCCL stays here at home and ends up being another Jimmy Frank except doesn't leave?). It's not like we would play OK/TX every year. Our chances for winning the SEC, if we were to get that far, would be tougher by maybe one hard game instead of a toss-up. The difference is not as big as we think.

Texas has an outstanding baseball coach, who is recruiting very well. They also hired (paid big $$$$) to get the outstanding women's basketball coach from Miss State. University of Texas has big dollars to attract top coaches. They want to win in every sport. That is the school's mindset. For example, Texas has won the NCAA swimming title for many years. They gloat in it.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

geeznotagain wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:51 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:29 am I know it is difficult even dangerous to forget the past, but this is a new day at Vanderbilt with an administration and football coach pledged to making football and athletics excellent. It is a new day at Vanderbilt and whatever the SEC decides, it is consistent with VU's decision to be excellent in football and to be excellent you compete with the best. Onward and upward!
I think to "be excellent" you have to win a few games too, not just compete.
Can't beat them if you don't play them or their peers.
Locked Previous topicNext topic