New Helmets?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

NateSY
Captain

New Helmets?

Post by NateSY »

Noticed that the Vandy helmet in front of the interview desk (not Lea’s old one) does not have the Anchor on it. Gold helmet, star V on the side, white stripe down the middle with black trim around it. Nothing confirmed or anything, but I can’t imagine they just put a random different designed helmet out if it isn’t what will be used. I know a bunch of people weren’t fans of the Anchor so thought this was interesting.

VUrower28
Captain

Re: New Helmets?

Post by VUrower28 »

Please PLEASE let this be the direction we go.
Captcook
Captain

Post by Captcook »

That definitely IS the helmet from the CL era. Hope it comes back!
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Agreed and while vat it return to classic uniforms
ChattaDore
Rear Admiral

Post by ChattaDore »

You old poots don’t get it. The 18-22 year olds that aren’t good enough for Bama/Clemson/etc don’t want the drab boring old stuff. They want the swag. They want the Oregon Ducks options. Swag, facilities and now NIL options will be the top three draws for recruits headed outside of the general top 10 teams.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Pretty much spot on, ChattaDore. Personally, I love the Deep Waters uniform. My all-time favorite VU football uni (for perspective, I’m c/o 2004 and 2008, second gen alumnus, so I’ve seen a fair number of uniforms over the years). The newer, swag uniforms are a better draw for the younger generation.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:35 pm Pretty much spot on, ChattaDore. Personally, I love the Deep Waters uniform. My all-time favorite VU football uni (for perspective, I’m c/o 2004 and 2008, second gen alumnus, so I’ve seen a fair number of uniforms over the years). The newer, swag uniforms are a better draw for the younger generation.
I thought I was the only one who was sad about seeing the Deep Water uniforms go. They were some of my favorites.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Black & Gold!!!!! No gray or solid white!!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Listening to Lea talk my impression is he is very old school in his approach meaning hard work and solid commitment to consistent values are the foundational principles. The majority of winning programs don't change uniforms to comply with fads and tastes of 17 year olds; they instead imply in recruiting it is an honor to wear our uniform which has been uniform during the years. Hence, Lea brings his star V helmet to SEC Media Days. I predict we won't be fiddling with uniforms, but concentrating on changing culture and expectations for winning.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I hope the "Deep Water " uniforms have been thrown somewhere into a deep body of water along with the helmet anchors never to return.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

DS2001 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:11 am I hope the "Deep Water " uniforms have been thrown somewhere into a deep body of water along with the helmet anchors never to return.
Fine to express your opinion, obviously. However, I pretty much guarantee you that if you showed side-by-side pics of the Deep Water helmet and the old school Star V helmet to current recruits and asked them which they’d be more excited to wear on game day, >90% (and honestly, probably more like 95%) would pick the Deep Water.

I understand that many posters might like an “old school”approach and mentality. As a professional educator who has worked in primary/secondary public schools over the past 15 years, I have a pretty good pulse on what excites and motivates young people. Like it or not, appearance is definitely a part of that, and none of the current recruits give a flying flip about the old school Star V logo. And we’re talking about changing the culture; it’s not as if the Star V carries the kind of winning pedigree of the blue blood programs that can sell the concept of wearing a uniform that has been associated with winners for decades on end. Just my opinion.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Touche' Fine to express your opinion. I do come down on the old school side of things. Some of my favorite teams I liked watching 50 years ago like the Packers, Colts, Raiders, Chargers, Alabama, Notre Dame, Southern Cal, have had basically the same uniforms for 50 Years. Most of their fans would revolt if they attempted any radical changes. I would compromise if Vanderbilt would settle on a uniform combination, any uniform combination, then tell the fans: "This will be our uniform combination until Alabama decides to change theirs".
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

ChattaDore wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:18 pm You old poots don’t get it. The 18-22 year olds that aren’t good enough for Bama/Clemson/etc don’t want the drab boring old stuff. They want the swag. They want the Oregon Ducks options. Swag, facilities and now NIL options will be the top three draws for recruits headed outside of the general top 10 teams.
Old Coot checking in! :lol: :lol:
Old Coot.jpg
Old Coot.jpg (43.77 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
Locked Previous topicNext topic