Covid-19: If you can't field a team for a game this season, result will probably be a forfeit

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Covid-19: If you can't field a team for a game this season, result will probably be a forfeit

Post by BrentVU »

Flashback to 2020: Vandy had several games postponed due to Covid issues with other teams, and in December, despite its best efforts, dealt with a Covid outbreak on its own team. Vandy played its game against UT sorely depleted, then declined under conference rules to play the last (rescheduled) game vs. Georgia (much to the great consternation of UGA, and to the relief of Vandy fans). That game was declared a no-contest (didn't count for either team).

Then in the College World Series last month, the Vandyboys advanced to the finals when the NCAA (controversially) did not allow N.C. State to play an elimination game against Vandy due to Covid issues. Later it was learned that N.C. State had eight positive tests due to the Delta variant.

Now, just when you thought we were over this thing, the Delta variant is causing cases and deaths to rise again, and Tennessee seems to be a hot spot. Meanwhile, almost everyone in America who wants a vaccine has gotten one, but many have refused.

So what happens this fall if a team is inadvertently ravaged by positive test results as Vandy and other teams were last season? No word for sure yet, but you'll probably end up with a forfeit (read: loss) instead of a no-contest. If you listen to what Greg Sankey said about the CWS, he strongly suggested that you might be out of luck if you couldn't field a team this fall.

Expect a lot of discussion about this at Media Days next week, but it seems like to me the onus is going to be on coaches to get their players vaccinated.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Covid-19: If you can't field a team for a game this season, result will probably be a forfeit

Post by BrentVU »

And what should the SEC do? Last year there was a rule that a team could opt out of a game if you had less than 53 (I think?) players available; and you had to have a QB and 5 offensive linemen or some such. I'm thinking that rule will be out the window this season.

If you're the SEC, you badly want those games to be played. And if you're a school, you don't want to be refunding ticket holders for unplayed games; you want those games to be played. How do you ensure that happens? Get your players vaccinated.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Re: Covid-19: If you can't field a team for a game this season, result will probably be a forfeit

Post by BILTMORE »

yep.

Adverse reactions are a possibility with anything you inject in your body - from infections to reactions to side effects. But in the case of these vaccines - it's a very slim possibility.

Adverse reactions to the virus on the other hand are a very strong probability.

All the enabling of this unwarranted vaccine hesitancy needs to stop. College football is as good a place to start as any.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I am sorry, but I have to go off on this issue. I live in Alabama and the (and this is documented) black people and the red necks simply won't get the vaccine. The blacks are afraid of it and the rednecks think it is a government plot. As a state we have 30% participation. This is ridiculous. I got my vaccine in Tuskegee. This is no lie, but as I was waiting to make sure there was no reaction, an OLD black woman sat down to get her shot. She had been brought in by her granddaughter. Just as they were about to poke her, she said in a feeble voice, "you aren't going to give me the syphilis are you?" She was serious as a heart attack. Her granddaughter broke out laughing and said "be quiet grandmama!" While it was funny, it was also sad. It represents the state of mind of many of the black people out there. The lady went on to say "well this IS Tuskegee. I was alive when the gov'ment did that last time." Meanwhile, a close friend from church, who is about as red necked as you can be, said he wasn't going to get the shots as he knew of people who tested positive after getting them. After spending two weeks in the hospital and losing 40 pounds, he said he "probably" should have gotten the shot. Stubborn rednecks, can't even admit it is the right thing to do after nearly dying from it.
My point is this, if the coach can't get the players to get the shots, then they get what they deserve. There should be a forfeit and the school forfeiting should have to pay for the refunds, even if they are visitors. Yes, I don't really trust the government much either, no matter what party is in charge, but I simply don't believe they are going to give me syphilis, make me a zombie, be able to track my movements anywhere I go, or do anything that is going to injure the entire population. That idea is simply crazy.
Thank you, I have gotten that off my chest. Now, I am going to go eat my neighbor and as I am having zombie urges. :)
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I look forward to hearing the first team that has to forfeit a game blame the NCAA and their opponent...
dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Post by dorepleganger »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:15 pm I look forward to hearing the first team that has to forfeit a game blame the NCAA and their opponent...
And I look forward to the NIL endorsement opportunity of players stating "this win was brought to you by Pfizer/BioNTech." ;)
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

commadore wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:45 pm I am sorry, but I have to go off on this issue. I live in Alabama and the (and this is documented) black people and the red necks simply won't get the vaccine. The blacks are afraid of it and the rednecks think it is a government plot. As a state we have 30% participation. This is ridiculous. I got my vaccine in Tuskegee. This is no lie, but as I was waiting to make sure there was no reaction, an OLD black woman sat down to get her shot. She had been brought in by her granddaughter. Just as they were about to poke her, she said in a feeble voice, "you aren't going to give me the syphilis are you?" She was serious as a heart attack. Her granddaughter broke out laughing and said "be quiet grandmama!" While it was funny, it was also sad. It represents the state of mind of many of the black people out there. The lady went on to say "well this IS Tuskegee. I was alive when the gov'ment did that last time." Meanwhile, a close friend from church, who is about as red necked as you can be, said he wasn't going to get the shots as he knew of people who tested positive after getting them. After spending two weeks in the hospital and losing 40 pounds, he said he "probably" should have gotten the shot. Stubborn rednecks, can't even admit it is the right thing to do after nearly dying from it.
My point is this, if the coach can't get the players to get the shots, then they get what they deserve. There should be a forfeit and the school forfeiting should have to pay for the refunds, even if they are visitors. Yes, I don't really trust the government much either, no matter what party is in charge, but I simply don't believe they are going to give me syphilis, make me a zombie, be able to track my movements anywhere I go, or do anything that is going to injure the entire population. That idea is simply crazy.
Thank you, I have gotten that off my chest. Now, I am going to go eat my neighbor and as I am having zombie urges. :)
Man, I hope you feel better now. That was a lot! But you're by and large right. I'm thankful for those that are taking the time with their family members to educate them and take them to get vaccinated. I'm black and I spent a lot of time talking to my mom about it and telling her why she needed to do it, and do it as soon as possible. I may have even coerced her and told her she couldn't come and visit her grandkids until she was vaccinated. Its on all of us and I hope these coaches see what happened to NC State in the CWS and take this serious so their players are protected and don't miss out.
FrmrMrC
Rear Admiral

Post by FrmrMrC »

vandy05 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:34 am Man, I hope you feel better now. That was a lot! But you're by and large right. I'm thankful for those that are taking the time with their family members to educate them and take them to get vaccinated. I'm black and I spent a lot of time talking to my mom about it and telling her why she needed to do it, and do it as soon as possible. I may have even coerced her and told her she couldn't come and visit her grandkids until she was vaccinated. Its on all of us and I hope these coaches see what happened to NC State in the CWS and take this serious so their players are protected and don't miss out.
That's not coercion... it's protecting your children who may not have been eligible for the vaccine AND protecting your mother. I did the same thing with my Mother and MIL. Working in a hospital, with 2 little ones in day care, I wasn't about to let a visit to grandma's be the cause of their demise. It's the smart and SAFE thing to do.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

BILTMORE wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:27 am yep.

Adverse reactions are a possibility with anything you inject in your body - from infections to reactions to side effects. But in the case of these vaccines - it's a very slim possibility.

Adverse reactions to the virus on the other hand are a very strong probability.

All the enabling of this unwarranted vaccine hesitancy needs to stop. College football is as good a place to start as any.
It's the era of Alternative Facts.
For a large percentage of Americans, the pandemic is a Communist conspiracy, just an excuse for Bill Gates to inject everyone with mind control nanobots. No matter how preposterous your belief system, there are youtube channels and designer news sources to convince you of something even more preposterous.

That idiot NC State coach said he didn't encourage his players to get vaccinated because "imposing politics" isn't his job.
You can't freaking blow your nose any more without it being a declaration that you have joined a political cult.

A higher vaccination rate achieved sooner would have drastically slowed down the emergence of variants. We will be paying the price for this for years to come, and the people who are most at fault will be complaining the loudest.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

FrmrMrC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:15 am I hope these coaches see what happened to NC State in the CWS and take this serious so their players are protected and don't miss out.
Nobody who wasn't already taking it seriously will start taking it seriously as a result of NC State's self-inflicted wound.
It didn't have anything to do with covid, after all: it was just that Commie Tim Corbin pulling strings with his co-conspirators in the great pandemic hoax.
These people are impervious to learning. No matter how hard reality bites them in the backside, they can expand their conspiracy theory to accommodate it.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

commadore wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:45 pm an OLD black woman sat down to get her shot. She had been brought in by her granddaughter. Just as they were about to poke her, she said in a feeble voice, "you aren't going to give me the syphilis are you?" She was serious as a heart attack. Her granddaughter broke out laughing and said "be quiet grandmama!" While it was funny, it was also sad. It represents the state of mind of many of the black people out there. The lady went on to say "well this IS Tuskegee.
I know, geez! It's like just one experiment where you deliberately let a bunch of black people go insane and die horribly from a disease you could easily have treated, and these people act like you can't be trusted or something.

The difference is that Bubba and his Bill Gates nanobots theory are totally deranged, whereas Tuskegee actually happened. Other than that little detail, the two sides' reactions are pretty much equivalent.
FrmrMrC
Rear Admiral

Post by FrmrMrC »

alathIN wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:50 pm
commadore wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:45 pm an OLD black woman sat down to get her shot. She had been brought in by her granddaughter. Just as they were about to poke her, she said in a feeble voice, "you aren't going to give me the syphilis are you?" She was serious as a heart attack. Her granddaughter broke out laughing and said "be quiet grandmama!" While it was funny, it was also sad. It represents the state of mind of many of the black people out there. The lady went on to say "well this IS Tuskegee.
I know, geez! It's like just one experiment where you deliberately let a bunch of black people go insane and die horribly from a disease you could easily have treated, and these people act like you can't be trusted or something.

The difference is that Bubba and his Bill Gates nanobots theory are totally deranged, whereas Tuskegee actually happened. Other than that little detail, the two sides' reactions are pretty much equivalent.
Problem is, it's abhorrent to think that Tuskegee happened and was ALLOWED to happen. If someone at the time said "they're not treating you... they're giving you bad blood" who would have believed it? I certainly understand the apprehension of the Black community with regards to this vaccine and medical treatments in general. I wish there were some prominent figures/leaders who could have received their vaccine publicly to show that it was safe. (Read: Oprah, Obama, Beyonce, Serena or Venus). It may take a pop culture campaign to help get them vaccinated, as the Black community is at higher risk.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

In
True. Even though the first incident happened in 1932 which is so far back rarely anyone alive today can tell about it and the second never happened. Both technically irrational today (one would hope) though one did happen years ago.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

FrmrMrC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:29 pm

Problem is, it's abhorrent to think that Tuskegee happened and was ALLOWED to happen. If someone at the time said "they're not treating you... they're giving you bad blood" who would have believed it? I certainly understand the apprehension of the Black community with regards to this vaccine and medical treatments in general. I wish there were some prominent figures/leaders who could have received their vaccine publicly to show that it was safe. (Read: Oprah, Obama, Beyonce, Serena or Venus). It may take a pop culture campaign to help get them vaccinated, as the Black community is at higher risk.
Charles Barkley and Nick Saban are advertising here.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

The coach at NC State "can't require" his players to get a vaccination??

Really?? Are they students enrolled in classes there?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per North Carolina state law, students will be WITHDRAWN FROM THE UNIVERSITY 30 days after classes begin if immunization requirements have not been met.

Immunizations REQUIRED pursuant to North Carolina state law and institutional policy:

Vaccine

Number Doses Required Before School Entry*

Diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis

3 doses

Polio

3 doses

Measles

2 doses*

Mumps

2 doses*

Rubella

1 dose*

Hepatitis B (Hep B)

3 doses

Varicella 1 dose
• Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis: Individuals entering a college or university must have 3 doses of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis; one of which must be a Tdap booster (given after 2005).

• Polio: An individual attending school who has attained their 18th birthday is not required to receive polio vaccine.

• *Measles: Two doses at least 28 days apart are required for individuals entering college or university. The requirement for a second dose does not apply to individuals who entered school, college or university for the first time before July 1, 1994. A person who has been diagnosed prior to January 1, 1994 by a physician (or designee such as a nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant) as having measles (rubeola) or an individual who has been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody titer against measles is not required to receive measles vaccine. Individuals born before 1957 are not required to receive measles vaccine except in measles outbreak situations.

• *Mumps: Two doses are required for individuals entering college or university. A physician's diagnosis is not acceptable for mumps disease(s). Individuals must be immunized or have laboratory confirmation of disease or have been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody against mumps. Individuals born before 1957 are not required to receive the mumps vaccine. Individuals that entered college or university before July 1, 1994 are not required to receive the vaccine. Individuals that entered school, college, or university before July 1, 2008 are not required to receive the second dose of mumps vaccine.

• *Rubella: One dose is required for individuals entering college or university. A physician's diagnosis is not acceptable for rubella disease(s). Individuals must be immunized or have laboratory confirmation of rubella disease or have been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody titer against rubella. Any individual who has attained their fiftieth birthday is not required to receive rubella vaccine except in outbreak situations. Any individual who entered college or university after their thirtieth birthday and before February 1, 1989 is not required to receive rubella vaccine except in outbreak situations.

• Hepatitis B: Three doses are required for individuals entering college or university. A 2 dose series of Heplisav-B is acceptable (this vaccine is only available in the United States). Hepatitis B titers are not acceptable for this requirement; students will need to show documentation of completed vaccine series. Hepatitis B vaccine is not required if an individual was born before July 1, 1994.

• Varicella: One dose or proof of laboratory confirmation of varicella disease immunity. Varicella vaccine or proof of immunity is not required if an individual was born before April 1, 2001.

* Two doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) will meet this requirement

North Carolina law requires individuals attending college or universities to receive certain vaccines. But in order to be fully protected from vaccine-preventable diseases, individuals should receive all immunizations recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
FrmrMrC
Rear Admiral

Post by FrmrMrC »

commadore wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:45 pm

In
True. Even though the first incident happened in 1932 which is so far back rarely anyone alive today can tell about it and the second never happened. Both technically irrational today (one would hope) though one did happen years ago.
One would have thought the Tuskegee Incident was too irrational to have occurred. And while the experiment started in 1932, it was still going on in the 1970s! I certainly understand the apprehension.

I do find the nanobot tracker laughable considering people are so willing to voluntarily carry a tracking device on them (and Self report their activities on social media)
FrmrMrC
Rear Admiral

Post by FrmrMrC »

commadore wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:47 pm
FrmrMrC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:29 pm

Charles Barkley and Nick Saban are advertising here.
Good to hear! I wish Trump would publicize more about how he got vaccinated and encourage people to get it. Regardless of your political viewpoints, there are very real associations between political leanings and vaccination status in the White community. I think it would be a great way to "stick it to the Chinese" by touting American ingenuity in developing a vaccine so quickly that stops their Lab-engineered virus that they unleashed on America. I don't care whether the narrative is true or not... if it results in more people being vaccinated.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Not sure how people too shiftless and sorry to get vaccinated could get into Vanderbilt in the first place. I’m very much in favor of forfeiting those games, and no team that has forfeited a game should be eligible for postseason play.
Last edited by VU1970 on Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

FrmrMrC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:58 pm I do find the nanobot tracker laughable considering people are so willing to voluntarily carry a tracking device on them (and Self report their activities on social media)
Exactly.

"I'm not going to get vaccinated because then Big Data will know everything I'm thinking and doing!" he posted on FaceBook, using his iPhone.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The Commish did confirm today that no games will be rescheduled due to the 'vid.
Locked Previous topicNext topic