NIL

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: NIL

Post by FayetteDore »

mathguy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:35 am
FayetteDore wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:26 am And the coach confirms (well, sort of) it:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2021 ... deals.html

From al.com:
"Alabama coach Nick Saban said Tuesday that sophomore quarterback Bryce Young, the team’s presumptive starter in 2021, has already earned close to $1 million in endorsement deals.

“Certain positions, probably, enhance opportunities to create value, like quarterback, and our quarterback (Young) already has approached ungodly numbers -- I’m not going to say what they are -- and he hasn’t even played yet. Hasn’t even started,” Saban said at the Texas High School Coaches Association’s annual convention on Tuesday, according to The Athletic. “... It’s almost seven figures. And it’s like, the guy hasn’t even played yet. But that’s because of our brand.”
It's that last sentence that terrifies me and signals the end of college sports as we know it. BUT THAT'S BECAUSE OF OUR BRAND. Saban is entirely right. And he got it out there: Any elite QB recruit that goes to Alabama can expect a million dollar payday. Does the same guy get that contract if he goes to Vandy? Or heck, even Penn State? Probably not.

And instantly, the recruiting game has been destroyed.
I was going to say exactly the same thing -- you said it better -- but didn't want to follow up my own post (even if it was merely posting a news article). I was stunned at the amount, and he hasn't even played yet. When this NIL thing started, I was thinking a player might get few hundred, maybe a few thousand dollars. Presumably, this QB's NIL earnings will only escalate. And it has set a standard.

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps »

Can’t some rich Vandy alum throw together like a pawn shop or buy a gas station in the middle of Arkansas and then pay some five-star recruit a million bucks to appear in a cheap newspaper ad for it?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

This crap is just confirming what anyone with a brain was predicting long ago. Stupidity and grossly misplaced priorities are now leading sports.
Locked Previous topicNext topic