VU picks Joe Fisher's replacement(s)

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

VU picks Joe Fisher's replacement(s)

Post by BrentVU »

Tulane's Andrew Allegretta will replace Fisher for football; Norman Jordan will return as color commentator... Kevin Ingram is coming back as sideline reporter, replacing Mitch Light.

------------------------------------------------------
Allegretta, Ingram Tabbed Voices of Vandy;
Veteran broadcast team brings talent, innovation to Vanderbilt

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — In yet another step to improve the Vanderbilt Athletics fan experience, Vanderbilt announced Wednesday that Andrew Allegretta has been named director of radio broadcasting and Kevin Ingram has been elevated to director of digital operations.

Allegretta will serve as Vanderbilt’s play-by-play voice for football and baseball, while assuming SEC Network+ duties for men’s and women’s basketball broadcasts. Ingram will resume his role as sideline reporter for Commodore football games and men’s basketball play by play, and he will return to the booth for baseball coverage on SEC Network+.

Norman Jordan (football) and Tim Thompson (men’s basketball) will continue their respective analyst roles, and Charlie Mattos will remain on the radio call for Vanderbilt women’s basketball games.

“We were both humbled and overwhelmed by the incredible interest we received nationally to join our broadcasting team,” said Tommy McClelland, Vanderbilt’s deputy athletic director for external affairs and revenue generation. “The talented duo of Andrew and Kevin gives us a core team that is second to none among our peers. The broadcasting profession is evolving, and we must evolve with it. Between our traditional radio broadcast and an ever-growing desire for digital content, we will now have two talented anchors allowing us to meet the needs of Commodore Nation with the highest caliber of content across our platforms.”

Allegretta comes to Vanderbilt from Tulane, where he had served as director of broadcasting since 2019. Allegretta handled play-by-play duties for Tulane football, men’s basketball and baseball while also hosting the football, men's basketball and baseball coaches’ shows and producing a wide variety of content for Tulane Athletics.

Before his arrival in New Orleans, Allegretta was the director of broadcasting for digital media and Olympic sports at Virginia Tech. He served as sideline reporter and pre- and postgame host for football broadcasts and was the play-by-play broadcaster for the Hokies’ baseball and women’s basketball teams.

Allegretta also anchored coverage of Olympic sports broadcasts on the university’s digital platforms and contributed to men’s basketball radio broadcasts and Virginia Tech Sports Today, the network’s weekly regional television program.

Allegretta was honored by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association in 2018 as Virginia’s Sportscaster of the Year.

A native of Yarmouth, Maine, Allegretta graduated from Syracuse with a degree in broadcast journalism. He has also been the play-by-play voice for Charleston Southern men’s basketball and football, the Class-A Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League, the Walla Walla Sweets of the West Coast League and the Falmouth Commodores of the Cape Cod League.

Ingram, who has nearly three decades of broadcasting experience, has been a highly respected member of the Nashville media since 1998.

Ingram has worked in various roles broadcasting Vanderbilt athletics since 2002, including football sideline reporter and pregame host and play-by-play announcer for men’s basketball and baseball for the Vanderbilt Sports Network, as well as television play-by-play for SEC Network+ in basketball, baseball and soccer since the start of the network in 2014.

Ingram served as voice of Belmont men’s basketball for 17 seasons, calling all nine of the program's NCAA Tournament games. He was recognized by the Ohio Valley Conference with the league’s media award in 2018. He has also done play by play for Ohio Valley Conference football weekly telecasts on ESPN3 and high school football in the Nashville area, including Tennessee state championship games.

A host of the top-rated Wake Up Zone morning show on WGFX-FM in Nashville from 2004 to 2020, Ingram was a 2019 finalist for Tennessee Sportscaster of the Year. He was also an award-winning sports and news reporter for WSM and WTN radio from 1998 to 2004 and game host for the Nashville Predators’ first playoff season in 2004, and he covered the Tennessee Titans’ run to Super Bowl XXXIV in 2000.

Ingram is a 1993 honors graduate of Western Kentucky.
-- #AnchorDown --

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: VU picks Joe Fisher's replacement(s)

Post by BrentVU »

If you want to hear what Allegretta sounds like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDxm_RixnTI

P.S. This seems like confirmation that Joe Fisher is done permanently at Vanderbilt... end of an era, and a sad one at that. He had a 23-year run calling football before losing his position just before last year's Tennessee game.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I’m really happy for Kevin Ingram as he will be the men’s basketball play by play announcer as well as call baseball games on SEC+. He has paid his dues and honed his skills in the Nashville market. What 104.5 did to the morning show was abhorrent. I haven’t listened since. Good to see Kevin get some permanency in his professional life.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

He sounds like 13 year Ohio University play-by-play guy Russ Eisenstein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvlK5XiUSCY
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Seems odd to have different play by play announcers for football and basketball.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

He said "Holy Smokes" in the video Brent embedded. We had a former play-by-play guy who said that often.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Georgiadore
Captain

Post by Georgiadore »

alathIN wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:43 pm Seems odd to have different play by play announcers for football and basketball.
We're used to having one person to both sports over the years at Vanderbilt - but it isn't uncommon to have different people do different sports - Eli Gold only does football at Alabama (he did basketball for a while); South Carolina's Todd Ellis only does football. At the end of his career, Larry Munson did only football for UGA. However, when one person does both sports, I think it may provide an announcer a better long-term connection to a school's fans.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Doing all the three big men's sports is a grind, especially for Vanderbilt where you can count on the season going into June every year. It's a lot of travel.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I hope they find a role for Max Herz. I enjoyed his enthusiasm filling in for Joe and Kevin early on baseball season.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

alathIN wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:43 pm Seems odd to have different play by play announcers for football and basketball.
Maybe it has something to do with the way the sports overlap and we often have to bring in a substitute. Just a thought.

Also, ditto on Max Herz. He does a fine job. I saw him at the recent Vanderbilt-Louisville baseball game. Max never got a reply from UofL regarding press credentials, so he hitched a ride with the baseball team and sat in the stands.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Personally, I’m really going to miss listening to Joe. He always had a great level of both knowledge and enthusiasm. He was always for Vandy but never was a homer. He called things straight. If either team got jobbed by a call, that’s how he announced it. Plus, what a wonderful voice! I hope he lands in a good place.

Likewise, I hope they have a fitting slot for Max. He has been outstanding.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Joe Fisher was the best. I hate that ADCSL replaced him. Everyone makes mistakes. Joe’s mistake shouldn’t have cost him his job.

One of the most amazing play by play football guys was Eli Gold, who used to do play by play for Alabama. He would go to the Alabama games and do play by play for them, then immediately jump on a plane and fly to wherever the NASCAR race for that weekend, and he did TV announcing at all the NASCAR races.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Golddore68 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:34 pm Joe Fisher was the best. I hate that ADCSL replaced him.
Who is "ADCSL" - ?

I always heard something on the broadcasts about something called "IMG Sports" determining who does the announcing for Vanderbilt University sports. Maybe "IMG" and "ADCSL" mean the same thing. Please clarify for those of us not up on what all the initials for things mean these days.

Thanks in advance.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

ADCSL = Athletics Director Candace Storey Lee.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:57 pm
Golddore68 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:34 pm Joe Fisher was the best. I hate that ADCSL replaced him.
Who is "ADCSL" - ?

I always heard something on the broadcasts about something called "IMG Sports" determining who does the announcing for Vanderbilt University sports. Maybe "IMG" and "ADCSL" mean the same thing. Please clarify for those of us not up on what all the initials for things mean these days.

Thanks in advance.
I’m pretty sure Athletic Director Candice Story Lee made the decision to replace Joe Fisher.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:36 am
MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:57 pm
Who is "ADCSL" - ?

Thanks in advance.
I’m pretty sure Athletic Director Candice Story Lee made the decision to replace Joe Fisher.
LINK?

Then what is with all that "IMG Sports controls everything to do with Vanderbilt Sports broadcasts" you hear during every Vanderbilt Sports broadcast? Can you please explain this to me?

Without dodging the question if possible.
Last edited by MrMemorial on Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

What is "IMG Sports"- ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMG_(company)

(I don't see our athletic director named anywhere in this)
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

IMG sports produces and broadcasts, but the announcers are chosen by Vanderbilt University.
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

Either way, the new guy sounds like Hawkeye Pierce
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

Either way, the new guy sounds like Hawkeye Pierce
Locked Previous topicNext topic