OT: Julio Jones to Titans

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

OT: Julio Jones to Titans

Post by Go Vandy! »

ESPN reporting almost done deal. Does the on-the-field reward justify the risk of mortgaging their future?

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: OT: Julio Jones to Titans

Post by vandy05 »

That's a good question. The answer is probably not, because adding Julio Jones doesn't likely make the Titans a Super Bowl contender because their QB is Ryan Tannehill. Nothing wrong with Tannehill, he just isn't a guy you look at and think he has Super Bowl talent and the game is really one these days where you need that. Hall of Fame QBs win Super Bowls by and large.

In that sport you do have to have some goals that aren't Super Bowl or bust though and I think they should be able to accomplish a lot over the next couple of years with the group they have. They will be very dynamic on offense and will give Henry more running lanes which will make them dangerous.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

vandy05 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:15 am That's a good question. The answer is probably not, because adding Julio Jones doesn't likely make the Titans a Super Bowl contender because their QB is Ryan Tannehill. Nothing wrong with Tannehill, he just isn't a guy you look at and think he has Super Bowl talent and the game is really one these days where you need that. Hall of Fame QBs win Super Bowls by and large.

In that sport you do have to have some goals that aren't Super Bowl or bust though and I think they should be able to accomplish a lot over the next couple of years with the group they have. They will be very dynamic on offense and will give Henry more running lanes which will make them dangerous.
First, you have to get to a Super Bow to win one and if Jared Goff and Jimmy Garoppolo can make it in recent years then I would argue Tannehill can too. Garoppolo QB rating his super bowl year was 92.4 and Goff was 101.1. Tannehill last year was 106.5. An improved Defense and now 3 legit offensive machines definitely make us much more of a contender than people think. The key will be can every one stay healthy, by everyone I mean Julio.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

VandyManners wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:21 pm
vandy05 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:15 am That's a good question. The answer is probably not, because adding Julio Jones doesn't likely make the Titans a Super Bowl contender because their QB is Ryan Tannehill. Nothing wrong with Tannehill, he just isn't a guy you look at and think he has Super Bowl talent and the game is really one these days where you need that. Hall of Fame QBs win Super Bowls by and large.

First, you have to get to a Super Bow to win one and if Jared Goff and Jimmy Garoppolo can make it in recent years then I would argue Tannehill can too. Garoppolo QB rating his super bowl year was 92.4 and Goff was 101.1. Tannehill last year was 106.5. An improved Defense and now 3 legit offensive machines definitely make us much more of a contender than people think. The key will be can every one stay healthy, by everyone I mean Julio.
As a Dolphins fan, I still am unable to comprehend how Tannehill has spent the last two seasons looking so unbelievably ... competent!! On occasion, he's even looked downright good! Whereas for all those years in Miami he was mediocre on his good days. Adding Julio to Brown and Henry really ought to make their offense downright scary (assuming Henry is able to continue to run after the load he's had two straight years ... very few RBs handle the load he's had without fading suddenly and unexpectedly after a few years).

But will their defense really be better? Considering that they will have to go through Kansas City to get to a Super Bowl?
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

If Jones turns out to be like Clowney last year, then Jon Robinson will probably be fired. Last year he spent millions of dollars on Clowney to pressure the quarterback and get sacks and Clowney didn’t have a single sack.

What if Jones is another million dollar bust?

And even if he is as good as advertised, it doesn’t fix the Titans’ need at tight end or help them with their horrible defense. They did have a first-round draft pick who’s supposed to be a good pass rusher but he is a question mark because of his injury history.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

mathguy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:46 pm
VandyManners wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:21 pm

As a Dolphins fan, I still am unable to comprehend how Tannehill has spent the last two seasons looking so unbelievably ... competent!! On occasion, he's even looked downright good! Whereas for all those years in Miami he was mediocre on his good days. Adding Julio to Brown and Henry really ought to make their offense downright scary (assuming Henry is able to continue to run after the load he's had two straight years ... very few RBs handle the load he's had without fading suddenly and unexpectedly after a few years).

But will their defense really be better? Considering that they will have to go through Kansas City to get to a Super Bowl?
I detect no lies VandyManners, but I'm also with mathguy in being baffled by how Tannehill has been so much better recently. Though I will say that having Julio will only help him in making him look even better.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

vandy05 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:25 am
mathguy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:46 pm As a Dolphins fan, I still am unable to comprehend how Tannehill has spent the last two seasons looking so unbelievably ... competent!! On occasion, he's even looked downright good! Whereas for all those years in Miami he was mediocre on his good days. Adding Julio to Brown and Henry really ought to make their offense downright scary (assuming Henry is able to continue to run after the load he's had two straight years ... very few RBs handle the load he's had without fading suddenly and unexpectedly after a few years).

I detect no lies VandyManners, but I'm also with mathguy in being baffled by how Tannehill has been so much better recently. Though I will say that having Julio will only help him in making him look even better.
It's mysterious for me. For two seasons, Tannehill has looked great and gotten rave reviews ... and then the Titans have been in 4 playoff games where Tannehill's high water mark has been 209 passing yards (2 of those games the Titans somehow won despit him going under 100 yards passing!!) and as a Dolphins fan I think "oh! There's the Ryan Tannehill I know!"
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Tannehill took the Titans to the AFC Championship Game last season. I am not sure that he can do much more to demonstrate his talent and he was one win away from being a Super Bowl QB. When he was with Miami, he never had much of anything around him. I also suspect the Titans' coaching and schemes have been a lot better than what he experienced in Miami.

Guys like Dilfer, Collins, Brad Johnson, Delhomme, Grossman and Kaeperneck have all been Super Bowl qbs during the last 20 years. Unless I am mistaken, I don't see any Hall of Famers in that bunch.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Tannehill isn't the problem.

But you can't score your way to the Super Bowl.

If the Titans can't rush the passer or cover receivers any better this fall than they did last fall, they won't make it to the AFC championship game.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Doreknox wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:49 pm

Tannehill took the Titans to the AFC Championship Game last season. I am not sure that he can do much more to demonstrate his talent and he was one win away from being a Super Bowl QB. When he was with Miami, he never had much of anything around him. I also suspect the Titans' coaching and schemes have been a lot better than what he experienced in Miami.

Guys like Dilfer, Collins, Brad Johnson, Delhomme, Grossman and Kaeperneck have all been Super Bowl qbs during the last 20 years. Unless I am mistaken, I don't see any Hall of Famers in that bunch.
My point about Hall of Famers was that it takes a Hall of Fame guy to win a Super Bowl. Now that is admittedly by and large. Dilfer, Johnson, Foles and Flacco have all won a Super Bowl in the last 20 years. But outside of that it is littered with both Mannings, Rothleisberger, Rodgers, Wilson, Mahommes, Brees and Brady. All of those guys are Hall of Famers (Eli probably is just on having two Super Bowls, but I'll admit questionable). Then you look prior to that. You have Warner, Elway, Favre, Aikman, Steve Young.

Again, I don't want to say that Tannehill is a huge problem or imply that they need to make a change. He could still turn out to be a great QB and win Super Bowls. He just isn't someone I look at and think about as a Super Bowl guy when I look at the list of who has won the last 35 contests. And as I said, they will be very dynamic on offense now with a lot more room to operate.
Locked Previous topicNext topic