SEC eliminates intraconference transfer penalty

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

SEC eliminates intraconference transfer penalty

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Effective immediately, transfers within the conference no longer have to sit out a year.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: SEC eliminates intraconference transfer penalty

Post by BrentVU »

SEC TO ALLOW IMMEDIATE ELIGIBILITY FOR INTRACONFERENCE TRANSFERS

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (June 3, 2021) – The Southeastern Conference announced it will allow immediate eligibility for intraconference transfers following a vote today by the SEC’s Presidents and Chancellors.

The change in policy, which takes effect immediately, will better align with NCAA legislation adopted in April 2021 that established a universal one-time transfer opportunity applicable to student-athletes across all sports.

As a result of the SEC’s new policy, student-athletes who transfer directly within the Conference will no longer be required to serve an automatic year in residence at their new school before being eligible for competition.

“This is an important measure to further support student-athletes throughout the Southeastern Conference,” said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. “While maintaining the expectation that coaches and others avoid improper recruiting, this change will ensure that student-athletes who enroll at an SEC member institution will enjoy the flexibility afforded to other student-athletes across the nation.”

In order to gain immediate eligibility, a student-athlete will need to declare his or her intent to transfer by February 1 for Fall sports, May 1 for Winter sports and July 1 for Spring sports. NCAA rules include similar deadlines except the NCAA deadline for Fall sports is May 1.

“The SEC has established a deadline for declaring an intention to transfer in Fall sports as February 1 in order to create time windows that are more consistent across Fall, Winter and Spring sports,” Sankey said.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

So how many guys will have played at 4 different SEC schools in their career in say 10 years from now? I think the number will be over 3. I'm trying to figure out how I am going to enjoy college basketball in this era of not being able to associate a school to specific players.

When a guy reaches the NBA, does it really even matter which college or colleges he attended any longer? That used to be how I identified a player and kept up with them as I'm sure is true with many people. Oh well, times change and I'll adjust as always.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

This is going to open a huge can of worms. I don’t like players switching from one SEC team to another SEC team. I didn’t think the offensive lineman should have been allowed to transfer from Georgia to UT last year.

We had that quarterback who transferred from Florida to Vanderbilt, but he didn’t play much. I also remember Chris Donnelly, who played at Vanderbilt during the Watson Brown years and set school records for interceptions, then he transferred to Alabama and I thought that was horrible.

The rich will get richer. If Vanderbilt does have an All-SEC caliber pro prospect player (like Keshawn Vaughn, who transferred to Vanderbilt from Illinois), other SEC coaches will try to recruit him to get him to transfer. And don’t tell me that won’t happen, because you know that it will.

And they’ll be playing against the team that originally recruited them.

I don’t have a problem with players transferring from one team to another team in another conference (like Vaughn did), but transferring from one SEC team to another rubs me the wrong way.
dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Post by dorepleganger »

Does this mean that Chris Young is definitely transferring to Ole Miss next year?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. “While maintaining the expectation that coaches and others avoid improper recruiting, " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

dorepleganger wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:39 pm Does this mean that Chris Young is definitely transferring to Ole Miss next year?
I just wonder if our grandkids will be able to understand the Chris Young references .... Oh (and wrong board) but the Ron Mercer saga. Those just never get old ... or maybe they do.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

OldDude wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:58 pm said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. “While maintaining the expectation that coaches and others avoid improper recruiting, " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HA HA HA. Something new? What a joke!!!! The rich will get richer, in my view. Bama will cherry pick the best players to fill weak areas.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

dorepleganger wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:39 pm Does this mean that Chris Young is definitely transferring to Ole Miss next year?
He is going to play one year at VU, one at Ole Miss, then back to VU for a year and then back to Ole Miss for his last year. :D
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

I'm not a fan of it either, but it seems this is the way all the conferences are going. The ramifications really are pretty big, and savvy coaches will have to adjust.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Its the way the NCAA went, I don't see any other choice for the conferences. We'll all adjust as fans, I'm not too worried about that. I'm sure people were just as worried about free agency for pro athletes back in the day. But it will all be fine in the end.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

LawoftheWest wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:35 am
OldDude wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:58 pm said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. “While maintaining the expectation that coaches and others avoid improper recruiting, " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HA HA HA. Something new? What a joke!!!! The rich will get richer, in my view. Bama will cherry pick the best players to fill weak areas.
Bama won’t have to. They get all the best players anyway. But my fear is that the middle of the pack SEC teams, which are usually 8-4, 7-5, 6-6, or worse, like South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Mississippi State, are going to proactively go after other SEC teams like Vanderbilt’s best players.

In fact as I typed this it just occurred to me who Ole Miss’ coach is.

You don’t think Lane Kiffin will try to recruit other SEC teams’ players? Lane Kiffin did shady things and had several Level 2 recruiting violations at UT and Florida Atlantic.

If it meant the difference between Ole Miss being 7-5/6-6 or 9-3/10-2, Lane Kiffin will recruit top players from other SEC teams.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Donavon Sheffield and Auburn. *cough*
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

Golddore68 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:53 pm
LawoftheWest wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:35 am

Bama won’t have to. They get all the best players anyway. But my fear is that the middle of the pack SEC teams, which are usually 8-4, 7-5, 6-6, or worse, like South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Mississippi State, are going to proactively go after other SEC teams like Vanderbilt’s best players.

In fact as I typed this it just occurred to me who Ole Miss’ coach is.

You don’t think Lane Kiffin will try to recruit other SEC teams’ players? Lane Kiffin did shady things and had several Level 2 recruiting violations at UT and Florida Atlantic.

If it meant the difference between Ole Miss being 7-5/6-6 or 9-3/10-2, Lane Kiffin will recruit top players from other SEC teams.
This is an accurate view of the future brought about by this ruling. Some will prosper and some will suffer. I have heard, as expected, that this ruling would come down to allow Henry To'o To'o eligibility at Alabama and it was Saban's influence that would allow it. But it is conveniently forgotten that when an Alabama DB transferred to UGA, he was allowed to play immediately without showing a hardship for the transfer, against Saban's objection.

At every instance that the SEC or NCAA has made rules changes or failed to implement other changes that some speculated were driven by a desire to "put the brakes" on Saban, he's made it clear that changing policy to deter something or someone assumes that the thing or person targeted is static in nature and will not adapt. Not true in this case. It may be true that Saban/Alabama doesn't have to use this rule change to win, but it will use it when advantageous. To assume otherwise is foolishness. And yes, Kiffin will do the same, as will Smart and Mullen. Not because they are shady, but because it is a new avenue of recruiting made available to them. It will be hard to put the lid back on Pandora's Box now that it has been opened, so we will bear the consequences.
Locked Previous topicNext topic