So Any Progress On That Magnolia League?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Magnolialeague
Seaman

So Any Progress On That Magnolia League?

Post by Magnolialeague »

SV# @AD @GAD Fl@g @AD SV#

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: So Any Progress On That Magnolia League?

Post by BrentVU »

What's this... Magnolialeague is back?!? After... how many years?!?

I am pleased to report that there has been absolutely zero progress on this. None. Nada. Vandy remains in good standing with the Southeastern Conference.

Welcome back. :)
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Where have you been? Welcome back and don't run away again!
Magnolialeague
Seaman

Post by Magnolialeague »

Ha! Good to see you too BrentVU.

I’ve seen the records over the years since Franklin. There has been plenty of progress towards a Magnolia League. Actually, the ACC is on it ways to bring that league. But, it is all about the Benjamins for dear ole Vandy. Those Franklin years sure were nice while they lasted.

Commadore, appreciate the kind welcome. Unfortunately, I cannot stay out late and play here like I used to. Will check in from time to time to follow y’all’s insight. Hoping that we return to better competitiveness in the coming years.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Magnolialeague wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:36 pm SV# @AD @GAD Fl@g @AD SV#

What is a "Magnolia League" ?? You will have to excuse that I'm new here.

Also, who is "Beth Ann Rhodardsky" ?? I saw her mentioned on the 247 forum once or twice.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Welcome back, ML. You've probably unfriended me. About 75% of VM members have... and for good reason(s)! If not, Magnolia League was a great idea. That's why it had very little chance of happening.

I thought in the mid-80s to early 90s, the top 64 football schools should have told the NCAA: "We're taking only the FB teams & forming an independent league. Give us any trouble & we'll take out all our sports." (1) That would have saved idiotic (& expensive) conference realignments, since 90% of that is solely based on football. (2) 64 teams would be a defacto tournament, without having some sports writer or Asst. asst. asst. asst. AD guessing who the best are or not voting for someone out of spite.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

I don't know that the Magnolia League concept is dead yet. I'm not as convinced that Vanderbilt is totally out of place in the SEC anymore, but I also won't be surprised if the landscape changes in the future to turn college football into something that looks more like a larger NFL. About 50 or so teams in a division of super powers, and then everybody else.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Magnolialeague wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:56 pm Ha! Good to see you too BrentVU.

I’ve seen the records over the years since Franklin. There has been plenty of progress towards a Magnolia League. Actually, the ACC is on it ways to bring that league. But, it is all about the Benjamins for dear ole Vandy. Those Franklin years sure were nice while they lasted.

Commadore, appreciate the kind welcome. Unfortunately, I cannot stay out late and play here like I used to. Will check in from time to time to follow y’all’s insight. Hoping that we return to better competitiveness in the coming years.
ML, your assertion that the ACC is on its way to being a Magnolia League surprises me. Because it seems to resemble the Magnolia League that I thought you used to envision even LESS now than it did 30 years ago. I always thought you were talking about teams like Vanderbilt, Duke, Virginia, Tulane, Rice, Wake, UNC, etc -- and NOT what the ACC has expanded into. But maybe I didn't understand your original concept.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:15 pm

What is a "Magnolia League" ?? You will have to excuse that I'm new here.

Also, who is "Beth Ann Rhodardsky" ?? I saw her mentioned on the 247 forum once or twice.
Oh don’t mind mags. He used to hawk organic bee’s pollen smoothies and mumble some stuff about this thing called “Bitcoin” around here. He swore that if we all just bought some stock in this thing called “Uber” we could finance a league with Vandy, Wake Forest, Alabama-Huntsville, Rollins, the Carolina Hurricanes, the New Orleans Pelicans, Duke, and the Green Hills YMCA. We all sort of just played along, Don clearly felt too bad to ban him. In hindsight maybe we should have listened.

Beth Ann is a pharmaceutical saleswoman who can diagnose 64+ diseases based on their “vibes.” She learned how to do it by auditing a few classes in anthro, astronomy, and business at Vandy. Not sure her relevance here.

(Good to see you mags it’s been a minute.)
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Mags, you are aware that our new Chancellor, unlike the previous ones over the past century, believes Vanderbilt should compete in athletics like Stanford, Duke and Northwestern. So the Magnolia League is not on the table, if it ever was. Don't look now, but Men's golf won SEC, soccer won SEC soccer tournament, track is making noise, and when SEC adds more lacrosse and bowling we will be on top there too. Baseball will be back - this is the COVID version of Vandyboys, and it will pass.
Locked Previous topicNext topic