Rejecting the portal?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Rejecting the portal?

Post by alathIN »

CCL's comment.about not wanting to recruit transfers is the first thing I've heard from him that didn't sound spot-on to me.
I can get in the long run you'd like to have players in your own mold, that fit the culture you're trying to build. And some guys are in the portal for reasons that have more to do with them than the program they left.
But right now, other than the incoming freshmen, everyone on the team was recruited to a different scheme/culture/whatever.
And I see no inherent reason that you can make more accurate fit judgements about high school juniors than you can about players in the portal.

I think the transfer portal is going to be a big part of the game going forward. Maybe covid year amplifies the effect, but it's not like the portal is going away.

With a new regime and a depleted roster I see no reason to draw this particular line in the sand.

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Rejecting the portal?

Post by Nashmann »

alathIN wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:06 pm CCL's comment.about not wanting to recruit transfers is the first thing I've heard from him that didn't sound spot-on to me.
I can get in the long run you'd like to have players in your own mold, that fit the culture you're trying to build. And some guys are in the portal for reasons that have more to do with them than the program they left.
But right now, other than the incoming freshmen, everyone on the team was recruited to a different scheme/culture/whatever.
And I see no inherent reason that you can make more accurate fit judgements about high school juniors than you can about players in the portal.

I think the transfer portal is going to be a big part of the game going forward. Maybe covid year amplifies the effect, but it's not like the portal is going away.

With a new regime and a depleted roster I see no reason to draw this particular line in the sand.
I agree totally!! With as many openings we have, we need to shore up some positions. Transfers especially grad ones would make the difference from a halfway decent season or another rock bottom one!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

I have to agree with both posts.
It's one thing to say you're not going to usurp the guys who've put in the work and bought in to the culture.
But when you've got glaring holes to fill (defensive backfield), I don't see how you can refuse to shop the portal.
The portal is the reality of college football (and b-ball).
If you're going to lose players in the portal (which we have), then you have to gain some that way. Otherwise you're dealing yourself a losing hand before you begin.
Hopefully this is like the statement about recruiting a 500 mile radius: it's more of a guideline than an absolute rule.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

There is a good article up on CBSsports.com about the new ideology of "Roster Management" that is starting to take place. Some non Power 5 schools are holding scholarships to use for the transfer portal instead of incoming high school athletes. Dodd insinuates that some of the top tier schools will "go shopping" every year to fill particular needs for the next season instead of counting on an inexperienced Freshman or Sophomore. Things are going to get weird in the next few years.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

What were the comments that were made? I'm interested in the context of them. I agree that you have to play within the bounds of what is offered and keep up with the game. But I do wonder if there is something that puts this in context.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

CCL just basically said he was focusing their attention on current and incoming roster as opposed to the transfer portal. Like everyone else, I understand his desire to prioritize culture over most everything. But again, current enrollees and incoming freshmen are only unique in that they've already committed to Vanderbilt. It would seem odd to simply ignore a talented young man that has concluded that they need an alternative.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I think we are so interested in every word that Lea speaks that some of us (including me with regard to national recruiting vs regional) jump on the words and in all probability misconstrue the true meaning of the statements that somehow get out to us. I think we can bet a lot of money that Lea knows a lot more about recruiting and how to do it best for Vanderbilt than we do. Nevertheless, it is fun to analyze everything we hear/read because afterall we are Vandy Maniacs.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

What's interesting to me is that we've actually some relative success in football with transfers of late. Ke'Shawn Vaughn, obviously, but also notably Ivy League grad transfers like Parker Thome and Louie Vecchio. I realize grad transfers are in a way different from undergrads, but given how hard it is to get into grad school at Vandy, it makes sense that Ivy League grads would have an interest in the school and be able to gain entry. Barton Simmons (himself a Yale grad) could be helpful in continuing to tap that pipeline.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:04 am What's interesting to me is that we've actually some relative success in football with transfers of late. Ke'Shawn Vaughn, obviously, but also notably Ivy League grad transfers like Parker Thome and Louie Vecchio. I realize grad transfers are in a way different from undergrads, but given how hard it is to get into grad school at Vandy, it makes sense that Ivy League grads would have an interest in the school and be able to gain entry. Barton Simmons (himself a Yale grad) could be helpful in continuing to tap that pipeline.
Justice Shelton-Mosley, anyone? He shored up the return game in 2019.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

charlestonalum wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:27 pm I think we are so interested in every word that Lea speaks that some of us (including me with regard to national recruiting vs regional) jump on the words and in all probability misconstrue the true meaning of the statements that somehow get out to us. I think we can bet a lot of money that Lea knows a lot more about recruiting and how to do it best for Vanderbilt than we do. Nevertheless, it is fun to analyze everything we hear/read because afterall we are Vandy Maniacs.
I agree with this. A focus on one area doesn't mean you're not working in another area. That's what I asked about the actual comments (like the article), because a summary is most always going to be tainted by the reader's interpretation. It may be as straight forward that Coach Lea doesn't want transfers. But I kind of doubt that.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

vandy05 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:17 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:27 pm I think we are so interested in every word that Lea speaks that some of us (including me with regard to national recruiting vs regional) jump on the words and in all probability misconstrue the true meaning of the statements that somehow get out to us. I think we can bet a lot of money that Lea knows a lot more about recruiting and how to do it best for Vanderbilt than we do. Nevertheless, it is fun to analyze everything we hear/read because afterall we are Vandy Maniacs.
I agree with this. A focus on one area doesn't mean you're not working in another area. That's what I asked about the actual comments (like the article), because a summary is most always going to be tainted by the reader's interpretation. It may be as straight forward that Coach Lea doesn't want transfers. But I kind of doubt that.
[/

Don't remember how far back when Coach Lea talked about it.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic