Any New Transfers In From The Portal?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Any New Transfers In From The Portal?

Post by Nashmann »

I have been out of the loop for w while in hospital from back surgery and weeks of recovery. Have I missed any transfers in from the portal to beef up any positions, even grad transfers? :? Seemed like we had a lot of openings with those that left & those entering school early and counting on last year's quota.

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
buffy
Vice Admiral

Re: Any New Transfers In From The Portal?

Post by buffy »

I want to say that Coach Lea was pretty adamant that he was focusing on our existing players and the players he's targeting as recruits. I think he is much more concerned about building a culture where everything is earned. I think he's apprehensive about how transfers fit in that picture at this time. I'm not totally clear why that is, but he apparently is pretty clear.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

I haven't heard of any. But Coach Lea said a few days ago he would not be looking primarily to the portal to pad out his roster. He says he is trying to "build a culture" with the players he has, and bringing in transfers could upset the dynamic and be detrimental to that. But he did say he wouldn't rule it out if a great transfer appeared under the right conditions. From all that I gather that no one should be holding his/her breath.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

thanks, I really like the way Coach Lea is approaching this. suspect next year will not be all that much fun on the field, but i'm very optimistic that we are building something here ther right way for Vanderbilt
BWSeven
Chief

Post by BWSeven »

The portal will play an important part in building a program. I don't like it but this is the new norm. You cannot put all your focus on recruiting HS kids knowing a high percentage will leave.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

BWSeven wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 pm The portal will play an important part in building a program. I don't like it but this is the new norm. You cannot put all your focus on recruiting HS kids knowing a high percentage will leave.
Ditto. I understand the philosophy, but given the exodus we've suffered in the portal and how glaringly thin we are in the defensive backfield, I really hope he takes advantage of the portal to stem the bleeding.

I don't think it's going to undermine the culture to plug new guys into basically empty slots.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

BWSeven wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 pm The portal will play an important part in building a program. I don't like it but this is the new norm. You cannot put all your focus on recruiting HS kids knowing a high percentage will leave.
Perhaps Coach Lea's position is that player retention starts with who you let in the front door.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

buffy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:39 am
Perhaps Coach Lea's position is that player retention starts with who you let in the front door.
Bingo! I don't think we should equate what is happening with football (and our program specifically) to what is happening with basketball (and our program specifically). We have to remember that this year is a one-time penalty free transfer for the kids. So a lot of players will take advantage of that. That will change going forward. And in football, when you're trying to build a team culture, I can see the value in being very selective in who you bring in from the portal.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Teams that are losing more to the transfer portal than they are gaining are going to be losers in the new environment. Unfortunately, it's that simple. The best RB this school has ever had was maybe, sort of, a transfer. Do I remember correctly on that?
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

I'd say that if a prospective transfer comes to the staff and shows interest in Vanderbilt as a team, a school, a community and a culture, the staff will give him a look - if he has the football skills they want.

But I don't think the staff is necessarily going to be out knocking on their doors. Their persuasive energies are likely being directed toward the new freshmen, while transfers will be those who come to them.

That' just my guess
Locked Previous topicNext topic