The most opimistic thought I can muster

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

The most opimistic thought I can muster

Post by alathIN »

In my way too early and totally inexpert projection, this season's football fortunes come down on the freshmen defensive backs. It was a weak spot last season and we lost Kaufman, the best DB on the roster.

The offense should be good. There may not be an obvious star on the D-line but there is plenty of size and depth. LB was another weak spot last year but CCL's defense often just puts 2 LBs on the field. Surely we can dig up 2 starting LBs and a backup.

But we will play 5 DBs a lot of the time and the existing roster appeared - charitably - limited last season.

Optimistically let's say one DB already on the roster levels up. Maybe playing hurt last year, or a true freshman, who gets healed up or coached up.

Optimistically I am going to project John Howse IV steps in and is a quality SEC DB on day one, because we desperately need him to be. I believe he is an early enrollee.
Tyson Russell is another early enrollee DB.
Any word on how these two did in Spring practice / Spring game?

Other DBs in the class of 2021:
CJ Taylor
James Ziglor III
Marlen Sewell
Allen Wright

Seems like most of these guys will get opportunities for early PT.
Therefore there will probably be some out of position / blown coverages early in the season.

My optimistic thought is that at least some of these freshmen DBs will get enough PT to grow into the role and the secondary might be better late season.
I hope so because I think the roster looks decently solid elsewhere and I don't think it's out of the question that the team could be better than expectations.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: The most opimistic thought I can muster

Post by BrentVU »

Dashaun Jerkins can be a terrific safety, but we badly need someone else at that position; Brendon Harris and Maxwell Worship have a lot of experience, but I agree that Donovan Kaufman as a freshman was probably better than both. At corner we will get back B.J. Anderson, who missed all of last season (for still unexplained reasons). He probably projects as a starter along with Allan George, one of the few secondary stalwarts from last year. Jaylen Mahoney and Gabe Jeudy-Lally are also back. So it's not like there's a lack of experience-- just a lack of raw talent, maybe.

With all the departures, absences, and injuries last season, Mason was having to play inexperienced players every week in the secondary and sometimes at linebacker. Guys were learning on the job. (We had no answer for guys like Elijah Moore of Ole Miss or Velus Jones of UT-- thank goodness we didn't have to face Kyle Pitts.) Some of those players will be back, hopefully a little bit older and wiser. But DB is definitely an area of need. There are no "lockdown" corners or "eraser" safeties on the roster to my knowledge.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Oh, make no bones about it, we are going to struggle mightily next year. Don't forget that CCL is installing completely new offensive and defensive schemes that the kids have to learn. I honestly can't see us winning more than two games.

This is pretty much a total rebuild project. We hired the right coach, and I think he will have great success here, but I think it is ludicrous to think we can reach six wins this season or next.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

dallasdore wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:18 pm Oh, make no bones about it, we are going to struggle mightily next year. Don't forget that CCL is installing completely new offensive and defensive schemes that the kids have to learn. I honestly can't see us winning more than two games.

This is pretty much a total rebuild project. We hired the right coach, and I think he will have great success here, but I think it is ludicrous to think we can reach six wins this season or next.
If we somehow win 6 games, he should be national coach of the year.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 pm Dashaun Jerkins can be a terrific safety, but we badly need someone else at that position; Brendon Harris and Maxwell Worship have a lot of experience, but I agree that Donovan Kaufman as a freshman was probably better than both. At corner we will get back B.J. Anderson, who missed all of last season (for still unexplained reasons). He probably projects as a starter along with Allan George, one of the few secondary stalwarts from last year. Jaylen Mahoney and Gabe Jeudy-Lally are also back. So it's not like there's a lack of experience-- just a lack of raw talent, maybe.

With all the departures, absences, and injuries last season, Mason was having to play inexperienced players every week in the secondary and sometimes at linebacker. Guys were learning on the job. (We had no answer for guys like Elijah Moore of Ole Miss or Velus Jones of UT-- thank goodness we didn't have to face Kyle Pitts.) Some of those players will be back, hopefully a little bit older and wiser. But DB is definitely an area of need. There are no "lockdown" corners or "eraser" safeties on the roster to my knowledge.
I was not aware of Anderson coming back and Jerkins has been pretty good.
The roster is not as bare as I thought.
Locked Previous topicNext topic