Premium story: The Athletic profiles Barton Simmons

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Premium story: The Athletic profiles Barton Simmons

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Really good story by Ari Wasserman on the hiring of Barton Simmons at Vandy. One of the more interesting quotes in the piece is this one: "And listen, stars do matter. They do. But I’ve taken a lot of time to understand why misses happen and understand why some schools are successful and why others aren’t. I am trying to look at this from more than the 30,000-foot view. Stars do matter, but that doesn’t mean at Vanderbilt that it’s going to be about getting five-star prospects." The story goes into detail about Simmons' approach to recruiting and how evaluation and development will be essential to Vandy's success.

https://theathletic.com/2544042/2021/04 ... ed_article

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: Premium story: The Athletic profiles Barton Simmons

Post by vandy05 »

Hard to know how much of an impact his background will have, but there has got to be HUGE upside on it. I don't think coaches have time (either in their work day or the length of their contractual time with a school) to go back and evaluate recruiting misses and why a particular kid didn't work out. If Simmons has been spending time on that, it could greatly increase our recruiting "hit" rate. You can't overestimate how huge that would be.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Re: Premium story: The Athletic profiles Barton Simmons

Post by BILTMORE »

vandy05 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:46 am Hard to know how much of an impact his background will have, but there has got to be HUGE upside on it. I don't think coaches have time (either in their work day or the length of their contractual time with a school) to go back and evaluate recruiting misses and why a particular kid didn't work out. If Simmons has been spending time on that, it could greatly increase our recruiting "hit" rate. You can't overestimate how huge that would be.
Well said.

The Simmons hire is one of the most exciting of the entire staff for it's potential.
Locked Previous topicNext topic