Ouch. Keyon Henry-Brooks entering the transfer portal

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Ouch. Keyon Henry-Brooks entering the transfer portal

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

[tweet][/tweet]

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Ouch. Keyon Henry-Brooks entering the transfer portal

Post by Nashmann »

This hurts....wonder what happened? He was a starter!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

Could be anything. Grades, family matters, academic needs... I hope it's not a matter of friction with the new staff
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Tough Loss: hope things work out well for him.
VandyD
Captain

Post by VandyD »

I actually thought Marlow would be the one to transfer. He waited and then was jumped by Henry-Brooks. This is probably our deepest spot on the roster but this hurts because he was the top guy of that group.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

It's a good thing we signed three RBs in this class, including the Temple transfer Re’Mahn Davis.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

This kid is a great player.

I wish he had stayed - we are going to have a very good o-line next year and he was going to be great again.

With that said, he can move to a "contender" and play in the national spotlight. I suspect he will go to a big name program.

We do have some very good rbs behind him - I wish him the best. I am really sorry we will not see him in the black and gold. He was going to be one of the best we ever had... Marlow is very good too. And the transfer Davis is much heralded. Keyon Henry-Brooks had great hands for receiving and patience in finding holes and speed - whoever gets him, gets a star.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

In addition to the above in this thread:

1. Maybe we recruited 3 running backs because the coaches knew he planned to leave.
2. Maybe he felt that by recruiting 3 running backs we were recruiting over him.
3. Maybe he truly liked Mason and felt disappointed that Mason was let go.

Unless he announces his real reason for entering the portal we can only speculate. Still, hate to see him go.
Ainam
Chief

Post by Ainam »

roanoke wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:59 pm This kid is a great player.

I wish he had stayed - we are going to have a very good o-line next year and he was going to be great again.

With that said, he can move to a "contender" and play in the national spotlight. I suspect he will go to a big name program.

We do have some very good rbs behind him - I wish him the best. I am really sorry we will not see him in the black and gold. He was going to be one of the best we ever had... Marlow is very good too. And the transfer Davis is much heralded. Keyon Henry-Brooks had great hands for receiving and patience in finding holes and speed - whoever gets him, gets a star.
Just for feces and giggles, let's say hypothetically he goes to an Oklahoma or Ohio State or Oregon. He then runs the risk of being stuck on special teams and getting 15 carries for the season at tailback, backing up the next big NFL star.

I hope it ends up good for the kid, but everything is always a roll of the dice. That's what they say.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Say it ain’t so.
Best wishes though, you have been fun to watch.
secchamp
Lieutenant

Post by secchamp »

This one definitely hurts. There's rumor that he was kicked off the team. Anyone know anything about that?
VandyD
Captain

Post by VandyD »

secchamp wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 pm This one definitely hurts. There's rumor that he was kicked off the team. Anyone know anything about that?
I didn't hear that but I have some people allude that the reason is that Vandy is turning into a pass happy offense.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

VandyD wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:54 am
secchamp wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 pm This one definitely hurts. There's rumor that he was kicked off the team. Anyone know anything about that?
I didn't hear that but I have some people allude that the reason is that Vandy is turning into a pass happy offense.
If true I feel like that would be short-sighted on his part, because as mentioned above he showed the ability to be a solid receiving option out of the backfield. He could highlight his abilities to be a dual threat in a pass/RPO heavy offense. Also, teams that pass effectively open up the run game for big plays. I think he could have thrived. Regardless, hopefully he does end up in a good situation that serves him well for the future.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

KHB was a real warrior for us last year, coming back from game day beatings more than once. I wish him well.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

KHB announced today he's transferring to Louisiana Tech
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:42 pm KHB announced today he's transferring to Louisiana Tech
Louisiana Tech?!?!? I can’t believe he left us for Louisiana Tech. Is he playing baseball or basketball there? Otherwise, this makes no sense unless he was having problems with school.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

oakparkDore wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:14 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:42 pm KHB announced today he's transferring to Louisiana Tech
Louisiana Tech?!?!? I can’t believe he left us for Louisiana Tech. Is he playing baseball or basketball there? Otherwise, this makes no sense unless he was having problems with school.
Keyon's bio states he was born in New Orleans. Maybe he has friends there or relatives at La Tech? I wish him the best.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:56 am
oakparkDore wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:14 pm
Keyon's bio states he was born in New Orleans. Maybe he has friends there or relatives at La Tech? I wish him the best.
me too
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Look, after dealing with COVID hysteria and big city blues, it's not that strange to want to head back to something small and comfortable. I live about 2 hours from Ruston. You couldn't pay me to move back to Nashville or any other big city. It's not worth it. I like my crazy in bite-sized portions. He'll have a great time in Ruston and be plenty visible to scouts.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Transfer portal

Post by LawoftheWest »

Is this how the transfer portal supposed to work? One day the player announces he/she is entering the portal. The next day the player announces a new school. It seems to me that there has been contact between the player and the new school before the portal announcement. Isn't that tampering? A player is assured that he/she will receive a scholarship at the new school well before the announcement.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the sequence of events is first, a player announces entry into the portal; second, schools are then free to contact the player.

It appears that frequently the reverse is happening. Schools contact a player to recruit the player, then when agreement is reached the player announces entry into the portal. Or maybe a player starts looking around to find a fit before announcing, to make sure the player does not lose a scholarship at the existing school.
Locked Previous topicNext topic