Vanderbilt Fanatics Departments
Accessories Auto Backpacks Collectibles Footwear Golf & Sports
Hats Home & Office Jackets Jerseys Lawn & Garden Pajamas
Pants Polos Shirts & Sweats Shorts Sweatshirts Swim & Beach
T-Shirts Tailgate Baseball Basketball Football Everything

Confirmed: Andy Ludwig going back to Utah

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke

commadore

Re: Andy Ludwig going back to Utah

Post by commadore » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 pm

Took Troy two official days, 6 unofficial days to get a head coach. How long for us to get an offensive coordinator? Probably still quicker than the team to the east.
0 x

Golddore68

Re: Confirmed: Andy Ludwig going back to Utah

Post by Golddore68 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 pm

But will we get an SEC-proven coordinator like UT did who has developed offenses that can be dominant in the SEC, or will we wind up with the coordinator from Podunk State College or some such school who has no SEC-type experience?

Last time CDM had an opening at OC, the names he was looking at weren’t too impressive... until Ludwig’s name popped up. Having been at a Big 10 school that has been pretty good over the last few years, I was glad to see CDM make him the OC.
0 x

ANCHORDOWN01

Post by ANCHORDOWN01 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 pm

I think it all depends on how secure Mason's job is preceived in the coaching community. No qiuality assistant coach is going to want to uproot his family for a one year gig if Mason is considered a lame duck HC.
Golddore68 wrote:But will we get an SEC-proven coordinator like UT did who has developed offenses that can be dominant in the SEC, or will we wind up with the coordinator from Podunk State College or some such school who has no SEC-type experience?

Last time CDM had an opening at OC, the names he was looking at weren’t too impressive... until Ludwig’s name popped up. Having been at a Big 10 school that has been pretty good over the last few years, I was glad to see CDM make him the OC.
0 x

DivergentDore

Post by DivergentDore » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 pm

A few names I would consider if I was performing the search:
Tim Albin- Ohio
Graham Harrel- N Texas
Brian Wright- Toledo
Travis Trickett- Ga St
Gerry Gdowski- on staff

Would also gauge interest from Petrino and Fedora
0 x

ANCHORDOWN01

Post by ANCHORDOWN01 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:49 pm

If we are going to get people who are familar with the SEC, my list would be a little different

1. Steve Sarkisian- recently the fired OC for the Falcons but was the OC for Nick Saban two years ago

2. Major Applewhite- recently fired HC at Houston but again, a former Saban OC at Bama

3. Long shot- Matt Canada. Recently the interim HC at Maryland last year when Durkin was put on leave. But Canada was the OC at LSU

Canada is an intriguing choice because he proved this past season he is a decent HC in a difficult situation. If this is Mason's last year in 2019 depending on how the season goes and the AD wanting to make a fresh start, Canada would be a built in 'coach in waiting' for 2020

DivergentDore wrote:A few names I would consider if I was performing the search:
Tim Albin- Ohio
Graham Harrel- N Texas
Brian Wright- Toledo
Travis Trickett- Ga St
Gerry Gdowski- on staff

0 x

DivergentDore

Post by DivergentDore » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:33 am

Sark is likely to stay in the NFL. Even if he came back to the NCAA, I doubt it would be to a team with a fanbase that would never be happy with his 2-TE sets. Offense very similar to Ludwig.

Reportedly Applewhite is headed to Miami.

Canada proved to be a solid HC but frankly has been underwhelming as OC.

ANCHORDOWN01 wrote:If we are going to get people who are familar with the SEC, my list would be a little different

1. Steve Sarkisian- recently the fired OC for the Falcons but was the OC for Nick Saban two years ago

2. Major Applewhite- recently fired HC at Houston but again, a former Saban OC at Bama

3. Long shot- Matt Canada. Recently the interim HC at Maryland last year when Durkin was put on leave. But Canada was the OC at LSU

Canada is an intriguing choice because he proved this past season he is a decent HC in a difficult situation. If this is Mason's last year in 2019 depending on how the season goes and the AD wanting to make a fresh start, Canada would be a built in 'coach in waiting' for 2020

DivergentDore wrote:A few names I would consider if I was performing the search:
Tim Albin- Ohio
Graham Harrel- N Texas
Brian Wright- Toledo
Travis Trickett- Ga St
Gerry Gdowski- on staff

0 x

Doreknox

Post by Doreknox » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 am

Canada was a bust as OC at LSU and I think he would be even worse here. Having said that, Mason will probably hire him. I like the names on Divergent's list. Fedora would be a great hire.
0 x

shelbz75

Post by shelbz75 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 am

My Top Five would be as follows (these are folks that I believe we could realistically get):

1. Graham Harrell, OC North Texas- Architect of a very explosive offense at the University of North Texas, was also a big part of their turn around. Young energetic coach that would be good on the recruiting trail also. Would give us some big footing recruiting wise in the state of Texas. Comes from the Leach coaching tree so I doubt its an option but one can dream.

2. Will Hall, OC at Tulane (Was the TE Coach at Memphis last season) Hall I think would be a very solid hire. He was the head coach at D2 West Georgia for several years as well with success. Memphis was very explosive offensively last year with not a very good defense to back them up. One key think is Hall brings a ton of connections in the southeast recruiting wise. I know from working in the high school ranks in Mississippi that he is loved over here.

3. Brent Dearmon, HC Bethel University TN- Before you all freak out over hiring a NAIA head coach, hear me out. Our SEC brethren my think of this as a wild choice but Dearmon is going to be in this conference soon and will be a rock star when that happens. He has background in the SEC from being an offensive analyst at Auburn under Gus Malzahn (same path Chip Lindsey took the new Troy HC). Dearmon has been the OC at Arkansas Tech prior to going to Bethel his alma-mater to be the HC. Dearmon has expanded Gus's system by utilizing the RPO game as a part of it. Has authored books on it as well including "Evolution of the RPO", have heard him speak at clinics and this guy knows his stuff. At ATU he had a top 5 offense in D2, at Bethel I believe they had the #1 offense in NAIA this past season. The guy is young, energetic, and loved by high school coaches in the southeast which helps in recruiting. Before everyone scoffs at this I add in this bit of advice, Oklahoma State hired Mike Yurcich from D2 Shippensburg to be his OC a few years back, that paid off well for them and now the guy is at Ohio State.

4. Tony Franklin OC MTSU- I doubt Mason would hire him but I think he would be an interesting choice. Yes he flopped at Auburn but with that said many on Auburns staff didn't buy in to what he was trying to do. Every year at his stops after Auburn (La Tech, Cal (Jared Goff's College OC), and MTSU he has directed one of the most explosive offenses in college football from a yards and points standpoint. Franklin is very well known in the southeast and among high school coaches. I think he could work well with several of the more dual thread QB's we have on the roster currently.

4. G.A. Mangus OC Kutztown University PA (Former South Carolina OC)- Mangus did a very good job as the OC at South Carolina under Spurrier. Good recruiter that knows the southeast well and knows the SEC. Would probably be fairly easy to hire away as well.
0 x

DeefromAtlanta

Really no need to follw Uut's lead

Post by DeefromAtlanta » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 am

Golddore68 wrote:But will we get an SEC-proven coordinator like UT did who has developed offenses that can be dominant in the SEC, or will we wind up with the coordinator from Podunk State College or some such school who has no SEC-type experience?

Do you mean will we overpay like Uut did? Personally, I don't care from where the next coordinator comes, I just want him to be a good and creative play caller, effective teacher and solid recruiter. Just have a good track record.
0 x

SCSA

Post by SCSA » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 am

Herb Hand?
0 x

BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 am

My Spidey-senses kind of told me last fall something like this was going to happen, even though I had nothing to base it on. I don't know what's behind it, but Ludwig (A) is losing a trusted senior QB, (B) has been kind of a nomad and has never stayed in one place too long, and (C) is hopping into one of the hottest programs in the Pac-10, a place he knows well.

Some people criticized him for being stubborn, perhaps with good reason; but the offense got a little better under him every year, until this past year it was quite explosive.

Who will replace him? Mason likes to hire guys he's worked with before, so my best guess is that it will be someone he knows and has worked with on one of his previous stops. He might bring in a total outsider, but that would be a surprise to me.
0 x

1845_Bear

Post by 1845_Bear » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:57 am

Doreknox wrote:Canada was a bust as OC at LSU and I think he would be even worse here. Having said that, Mason will probably hire him. I like the names on Divergent's list. Fedora would be a great hire.
Canada was good before and after LSU. His issues there had more to do with a micromanaging HC trying to yank away the steering wheel in my opinion
0 x

shelbz75

Post by shelbz75 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:18 am

Agree with 1845 Bear on that assessment of Canada.
0 x

commodorefan

Post by commodorefan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:29 pm

shelbz75 wrote:My Top Five would be as follows (these are folks that I believe we could realistically get):

1. Graham Harrell, OC North Texas- Architect of a very explosive offense at the University of North Texas, was also a big part of their turn around. Young energetic coach that would be good on the recruiting trail also. Would give us some big footing recruiting wise in the state of Texas. Comes from the Leach coaching tree so I doubt its an option but one can dream.

2. Will Hall, OC at Tulane (Was the TE Coach at Memphis last season) Hall I think would be a very solid hire. He was the head coach at D2 West Georgia for several years as well with success. Memphis was very explosive offensively last year with not a very good defense to back them up. One key think is Hall brings a ton of connections in the southeast recruiting wise. I know from working in the high school ranks in Mississippi that he is loved over here.

3. Brent Dearmon, HC Bethel University TN- Before you all freak out over hiring a NAIA head coach, hear me out. Our SEC brethren my think of this as a wild choice but Dearmon is going to be in this conference soon and will be a rock star when that happens. He has background in the SEC from being an offensive analyst at Auburn under Gus Malzahn (same path Chip Lindsey took the new Troy HC). Dearmon has been the OC at Arkansas Tech prior to going to Bethel his alma-mater to be the HC. Dearmon has expanded Gus's system by utilizing the RPO game as a part of it. Has authored books on it as well including "Evolution of the RPO", have heard him speak at clinics and this guy knows his stuff. At ATU he had a top 5 offense in D2, at Bethel I believe they had the #1 offense in NAIA this past season. The guy is young, energetic, and loved by high school coaches in the southeast which helps in recruiting. Before everyone scoffs at this I add in this bit of advice, Oklahoma State hired Mike Yurcich from D2 Shippensburg to be his OC a few years back, that paid off well for them and now the guy is at Ohio State.

4. Tony Franklin OC MTSU- I doubt Mason would hire him but I think he would be an interesting choice. Yes he flopped at Auburn but with that said many on Auburns staff didn't buy in to what he was trying to do. Every year at his stops after Auburn (La Tech, Cal (Jared Goff's College OC), and MTSU he has directed one of the most explosive offenses in college football from a yards and points standpoint. Franklin is very well known in the southeast and among high school coaches. I think he could work well with several of the more dual thread QB's we have on the roster currently.

4. G.A. Mangus OC Kutztown University PA (Former South Carolina OC)- Mangus did a very good job as the OC at South Carolina under Spurrier. Good recruiter that knows the southeast well and knows the SEC. Would probably be fairly easy to hire away as well.
Any list that does not also grade the looks of the candidate's spouse cannot be considered in a serious discussion. :D
0 x

Cardsanddores

Post by Cardsanddores » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Harrell all day long. Wife is solid.

Gotta be curious what the real short list looks like.
0 x

Matt2309

Post by Matt2309 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Mason did tell the team yesterday that he wants to go to more spread rather than pro style with the new OC, so that will certainly impact the search
0 x

charlestonalum

Post by charlestonalum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 pm

which of the QB's is best with the spread?
0 x

commadore

Post by commadore » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Matt2309 wrote:Mason did tell the team yesterday that he wants to go to more spread rather than pro style with the new OC, so that will certainly impact the search
Not campaigning for him, but can you imagine the season Lipscomb, Pickney, and Bolar would/could have if Franklin was the OC?
0 x

ANCHORDOWN01

Post by ANCHORDOWN01 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Yeah. His one year stint with Coach O shouldn't be held against him.

Canada's resume includes

OC at Wisconsin when they won the Big Ten Championship

OC at Northern Illinois and winning at MAC Champiosnhip

OC at NC State- At NC state, the Wolkpack finished third in the ACC in scoring offense in 2015 by averaging 33 points per game.

OC at Pitt-Averaged 42 points per game which ranked No. 10 in the nation and was a school record. The Panthers led the nation in red zone touchdown percentage at 82% and scored at least 28 points in all twelve regular season games including a 43-42 road win over No. 3 ranked Clemson.

1845_Bear wrote:
Doreknox wrote:Canada was a bust as OC at LSU and I think he would be even worse here. Having said that, Mason will probably hire him. I like the names on Divergent's list. Fedora would be a great hire.
Canada was good before and after LSU. His issues there had more to do with a micromanaging HC trying to yank away the steering wheel in my opinion
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic