Mike Wright in the transfer portal

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Mike Wright in the transfer portal

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

And the hits just keep on coming...

MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Re: Mike Wright in the transfer portal

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

Mike is an impressive young man. I wish him nothing but the best, and hope he does great wherever he goes. That said, I'm not so sure this is a bad thing moving forward. Assuming Swann has no longterm issues with concussion, I don't want to hear the constant talk of how we could have "packages" to get Wright in, and some who will grumble at the first sign of struggle from Swann (and the 2 wins this past season may have made that worse - ut game notwithstanding). Seals will still be a veteran backup in that 2 spot who has more experience than most backup QB's. Gonna need to move that up the priority list for recruiting now, for sure.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

Assuming Seals isn’t in the portal this week
MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

Lynchsr wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:51 am Assuming Seals isn’t in the portal this week
Obviously anything can happen....my thought was if he was going to do this, he would've done it already before now. We'll see.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Hate to see an athlete and great young man leave Vandy. Hope he got his degree.....guess he was tired of being jerked around. He will NEVER make it in the NFL as a QB. Wish he had tried to play another position.
Last edited by Nashmann on Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

Let's be honest here. Why wouldn't Ken Seals transfer, too? He didn't get to play one single down this year. Certainly, redshirting this year doesn't do him any good if all it means is that he's going to be AJ Swann's backup for the next 3 years.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

And I expect Mike's brother Taco, a DB, will be moving on as well. I don't think he has played a down yet.
MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

VUDU wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:22 am Let's be honest here. Why wouldn't Ken Seals transfer, too? He didn't get to play one single down this year. Certainly, redshirting this year doesn't do him any good if all it means is that he's going to be AJ Swann's backup for the next 3 years.
I've talked to my son about this a lot. If you're a guy who the realization has hit (and this is the vast majority of college athletes) that you are NOT going to be a professional athlete, then what does transferring do? Have a memory of playing a year (or two) at a smaller school just to say you did it vs a free degree + likely graduate degree at Vanderbilt....I know what choice I would strongly suggest to my kids
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

MtJulietVUFan wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:00 pm
VUDU wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:22 am Let's be honest here. Why wouldn't Ken Seals transfer, too? He didn't get to play one single down this year. Certainly, redshirting this year doesn't do him any good if all it means is that he's going to be AJ Swann's backup for the next 3 years.
I've talked to my son about this a lot. If you're a guy who the realization has hit (and this is the vast majority of college athletes) that you are NOT going to be a professional athlete, then what does transferring do? Have a memory of playing a year (or two) at a smaller school just to say you did it vs a free degree + likely graduate degree at Vanderbilt....I know what choice I would strongly suggest to my kids
I doubt that Seals sees himself the way you describe. I think he has higher aspirations than being AJ Swann's backup for the next three years and getting a free degree for accepting his fate. I could be wrong, though. We'll see.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Would have liked to see Mike stay and try a different position. As a passer he is marginal but with the ball in space he is electric. As a receiver or kick returner he has NFL level talent.

He is a natural born leader and I can see why he would want to play QB. Teammates clearly respond to his presence.

Just like Ray Davis, I don't have a lot to say other than thanks Mike for the excitement and best wishes in your journey.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Yeah, there are some weird takes in this thread. Mike Wright can try to play QB all he wants. It doesn't matter if he can't/won't be a QB in the NFL. And why would he have played a different position for us? He was arguably the best QB on our team this year and he definitely was for certain stretches of the season. Just a weird suggestion.

And secondly, why would Seals want to sit back and just be a backup? For a lot of guys it is better to transfer to a small school and play a couple years than just sit around and ride the pine.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

has he (Mike) discussed this with Coach Lea? surely he knows how valuable he is to this program. I wonder what this is all about. Wish him well, but beware. Things may not always work out in your favor.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

he will be missed. Sorry to see anyone like Mike leave. Wonder if the NIL is in play here?
Last edited by charlestonalum on Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

Good luck to Wright. In other news - CJ Taylor seems to indicate he is staying!
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Mike has been an impressive young man and a great pleasure to watch play. Best wishes going forward!
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

Wright did exceptionally well again lower competition. I can see him going to a Furman or similar and enjoying himself. I do hope that he goes somewhere where the degree is high value. I will be disappointed if he trades his vandy degree for one from North Alabama or UTEP.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

Never will understand anyone leaving a school like Vanderbilt- but certainly wish Mike the very best. It's his journey- and not mine. Thank you for the incredible memories, and leadership! Always a "Commodore" in my book. Good luck with all!
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I really didn't expect this. I assume he had a serious talk with CCL first. With Swann's health in question, he easily might have been the starter next year. He might even have been if Swann is okay. I'd be surprised if he is starting at a Power 5 team next season. He'd be a terror in FCS and maybe even CUSA or Sun Belt.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Regardless of his ability or lack of ability, whether he is one-dimensional or not, it is difficult to lose the one guy who was arguably the face of the program (e.g.,during SEC days). Nonetheless, I of course respect his decision and wish him well in his future endeavors -- on and off the field. Few would doubt that he gave it all he had while he was a Commodore.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Wherever he's looking to go, I'm sure there will be no shortage quality 2d string QBs from Power 5 programs in the portal looking to go there as well.
Locked Previous topicNext topic