Kiffin staying at Ole Miss

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DonYates
Commodore

Kiffin staying at Ole Miss

Post by DonYates »

just reported.

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: Kiffin staying at Ole Miss

Post by Go Vandy! »

@#$%^
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Maybe he is charming in person. However, in the interviews I have seen him give at half-times and after games Kiffin comes across as curt, even rude.

On the other hand, Saban, who many love to hate, usually comes across as thoughtful, even gracious at times, during his interviews, in my view.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Kiffin does the same thing every season. He starts out 6-0 against nonconference teams and lesser SEC opponents, then he loses to Bama and LSU and someone else unexpectedly beats him (this year it was Arkansas, that was a shocker).

Then he winds up 9-3 or 8-4.

Every single year they start out strong and finish in the 9-3/8-4 range.

Eventually Ole Miss fans are going to want more.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:38 pm Kiffin does the same thing every season. He starts out 6-0 against nonconference teams and lesser SEC opponents, then he loses to Bama and LSU and someone else unexpectedly beats him (this year it was Arkansas, that was a shocker).

Then he winds up 9-3 or 8-4.

Every single year they start out strong and finish in the 9-3/8-4 range.

Eventually Ole Miss fans are going to want more.
In the last 60 years, Ole Miss fans have seldom had more.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

Surprised by that. When Auburn is firing on all cylinders-they've had an ability to be in the national championship discussion in ways that Ole Miss hasn't. My only guess is that Kiffin didn't want to rule himself out of being Saban's successor someday- though personally think he lacks the gravitas to actually lead Alabama Football.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

Vandy_Law07 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:33 am Surprised by that. When Auburn is firing on all cylinders-they've had an ability to be in the national championship discussion in ways that Ole Miss hasn't. My only guess is that Kiffin didn't want to rule himself out of being Saban's successor someday- though personally think he lacks the gravitas to actually lead Alabama Football.
I've heard the theory that Kiffin would like to be the guy to follow Saban (I don't dismiss it out of hand), but more than that I think a lot of coaches see the other job in the state of Alabama as having little upside other than providing a healthy buyout for a comfortable retirement.

When comparing the two jobs, the former Ole Miss coach who is apparently coveted at Auburn now that Kiffin is off the table, owes most of his positive notoriety to winning two games against Alabama while at Ole Miss. The most recently fired HC at Auburn also won twice against Alabama, and most give him credit for a third win as OC in a BCS championship year, but it wasn't enough.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

coachinwaiting wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:04 pm
Vandy_Law07 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:33 am Surprised by that. When Auburn is firing on all cylinders-they've had an ability to be in the national championship discussion in ways that Ole Miss hasn't. My only guess is that Kiffin didn't want to rule himself out of being Saban's successor someday- though personally think he lacks the gravitas to actually lead Alabama Football.
I've heard the theory that Kiffin would like to be the guy to follow Saban (I don't dismiss it out of hand), but more than that I think a lot of coaches see the other job in the state of Alabama as having little upside other than providing a healthy buyout for a comfortable retirement.

When comparing the two jobs, the former Ole Miss coach who is apparently coveted at Auburn now that Kiffin is off the table, owes most of his positive notoriety to winning two games against Alabama while at Ole Miss. The most recently fired HC at Auburn also won twice against Alabama, and most give him credit for a third win as OC in a BCS championship year, but it wasn't enough.
Can it be posited that Auburn is a more difficult job than Vanderbilt when success at the two places is measured so differently. I would say VU is a better job.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:13 pm
coachinwaiting wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:04 pm

Can it be posited that Auburn is a more difficult job than Vanderbilt when success at the two places is measured so differently. I would say VU is a better job.
Yep.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I guess Hugh Freeze will find out. Just signed for $40 million over six years.
Locked Previous topicNext topic