Zach Cunningham cut by the Texans

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VandyManners
Lieutenant

Zach Cunningham cut by the Texans

Post by VandyManners »

Just says due to consequence of multiple disciplinary issues. Interesting to me to cut such a great player. He must have done some really bad things. I think he led the NFL with tackles a year ago.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Zach Cunningham cut by the Texans

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I really hope his violations of team rules were not serious outside of the team environment. Then again, the Texans are such a shitshow of an operation, this may be good for his career.
thefan
Captain

Hate it, hope...

Post by thefan »

he cleans up his act and gets picked up elsewhere!
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

What started out on radio down here as a huge story has quickly evolved into a hotbutton topic and becoming more toxic by the minute.

According to the Texans management Zac has had a problem showing up on time for practice and other team functions in the past, when he does bother to show up, and has been fined several times. This time however he committed the cardinal sin: he skipped the weekly covid test.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

I suspect there is much, much more to this story that we don't yet know. I have no idea if ZC has developed behavioral problems or not, but we do know the Houston Texans is a seriously dysfunctional organization. Before his sexual harassment issues emerged, their franchise qb Deshaun Watson wanted out. JJ Watt, the very face of the organization, finally had enough and forced his way out. They traded DeAndre Hopkins, one of the best receivers in football, for practically nothing. They've made numerous head scratching personnel moves over the last 3-4 years that made little sense. That's an organization in free fall. Perhaps ZC, as well as 2-3 other players with "disciplinary issues", are forcing the Texans' hand, trying to force their way out. Gotta believe there is way more to come from this story. Would love to see the Titans sign ZC .
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

DivergentDore wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:41 am
According to the Texans management Zac has had a problem showing up on time for practice and other team functions in the past, when he does bother to show up, and has been fined several times. This time however he committed the cardinal sin: he skipped the weekly covid test.
Zach obviously didn't GAF about staying with the Texans. That place is a pit of stupidity. Sounds like he was trying his hardest to get released.
dunc77
Ensign

Post by dunc77 »

Or, all of the above to varying degrees, and more importantly the previous management gave him a contract the current folks don't wish to pay out. They renegotiated his deal so they won't take such a big cap hit. Pardon my cynicism, but it sounds like a PR move to cover for the money move. Isn't David Culley the coach there?
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

dunc77 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:15 pm Or, all of the above to varying degrees, and more importantly the previous management gave him a contract the current folks don't wish to pay out. They renegotiated his deal so they won't take such a big cap hit. Pardon my cynicism, but it sounds like a PR move to cover for the money move. Isn't David Culley the coach there?
Culley is the coach and has spoken with the media down here and confirmed Cunningham's release was over missing the covid test.

The Texans now have almost 17m in dead cap space next year from this release that could have been mitigated down much lower by trading him and getting something in return.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Does he have any eligibility left? Can he use the transfer portal? I think we have some salary cap room.

Seriously, though, I still remember his 4th down tackle to ice the UGA game a few years back. I say "a few years …. seems like a few decades.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Any word on whether he will be paid? I have not seen anything. Given the operation of their organization the Texans may try to stiff him on the theory that he violated his contract.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

Seriously, though, I still remember his 4th down tackle to ice the UGA game a few years back. I say "a few years …. seems like a few decades.
[/quote]

My favorite moment was when he leaped over the O-Line and blocked a field goal against Auburn.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

VandyManners wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:21 am Seriously, though, I still remember his 4th down tackle to ice the UGA game a few years back. I say "a few years …. seems like a few decades.
My favorite moment was when he leaped over the O-Line and blocked a field goal against Auburn.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was cool. And didn't they institute a new rule based almost entirely on that one play?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

The NFL and NFL Players Association have agreed to COVID-19 protocols for the 2021 regular season, which includes weekly testing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic