Worst loss ever?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Re: Worst loss ever?

Post by admin »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:04 pm Fred Pancoast lost to D-2 Citadel
Watson Brown got blown out by death penalty SMU
DiNardo finished one season by losing 52-0 and 62-14 and the next 65-0
Woody had 71 and 56 hung on him in consecutive weeks.
Temple game. UNLV game. Today's game.

Worst ever? All of the above.
Fred Pancoast did not lose to the Citadel. George MacIntyre did and at the time The Citadel was considered a major college team in the same category as Vanderbilt and Alabama.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I guess it depends on your definition of “worst.”

Losing in a blowout to the No. 2 team in the country isn’t a “worst loss,” IMO. Most of us expected going into the game that we would be blown out.

In my way of thinking, our “worst losses” are those when we lose to teams we should beat and aren’t even competitive in those games.

Like the aforementioned loss to a bad SMU team coming off the death penalty.

In 1984, losing to an 0-4 Tulane team at home when we were 4-0 and had just beaten Alabama on the road, and we were never competitive in that game. We looked completely unprepared for them. That may have been No. 1 on the list of “worst losses.”

Losing to Temple in CDM’s first game, when we kept rotating different quarterbacks in the game and looked pathetic.

Losing to two bad MTSU teams (I think they were winless one of the years we lost to them) when Woody and CBJ were our coaches.

Those are the “worst losses” I can remember.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

Worst loss is not the same as largest margin of loss. Nobody with any sincerity thought Georgia was going to lose to Vanderbilt yesterday, or even struggle in the process. The best thing Vanderbilt could have done yesterday, considering the Bulldogs butt-hurt over the cancellation of last year's game, would have been to forfeit the game after UGA got to the stadium and completed pre-game workouts.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

My bad, it was indeed Coach Mac who lost to Citadel and also gave up over 60 twice that dreadful season.

Even though reclassification didn't officially happen until 1981, Citadel was in the Southern Conference which became 1aa and that then became FCS.

Citadel had losses to Chattanooga and Furman that season.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I will say to after George MacIntyre lost to The Citadel he kept building and took advantage of stadium upgrades to recruit more talented players. We didn't have message boards back then to hide behind monikers while trashing the head coach. MacIntyre eventually took Vandy to a bowl game.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

He also had a coach named Parcels-and others.
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

I think Parcells was on on Steve Sloan's staff.

CONQUER!!...., and PREVAIL!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree about the '84 loss to Tulane. It was disastrous for the program. MacIntyre was trying to bounce back after the 2-9 1983 season. Had we won that Tulane game and finished with a winning record it might have given VU some momentum going forward. Following that season we entered a funk of about 10 years of struggling seasons.
Golddore68 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:50 pm I guess it depends on your definition of “worst.”

Losing in a blowout to the No. 2 team in the country isn’t a “worst loss,” IMO. Most of us expected going into the game that we would be blown out.

In my way of thinking, our “worst losses” are those when we lose to teams we should beat and aren’t even competitive in those games.

Like the aforementioned loss to a bad SMU team coming off the death penalty.

In 1984, losing to an 0-4 Tulane team at home when we were 4-0 and had just beaten Alabama on the road, and we were never competitive in that game. We looked completely unprepared for them. That may have been No. 1 on the list of “worst losses.”

Losing to Temple in CDM’s first game, when we kept rotating different quarterbacks in the game and looked pathetic.

Losing to two bad MTSU teams (I think they were winless one of the years we lost to them) when Woody and CBJ were our coaches.

Those are the “worst losses” I can remember.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

ya da yada, ya da yada, we can go through our football history and select which is the worst loss ever. There have been plenty that might qualify. Ouch.

Except for a few highlights in off years, historically we have been at the bottom of the SEC. The hope is that our current coach can turn this around. Whether he can is open to discussion. I am optimistic. I think he has the smarts to do so. Let's wait and see, rather than base our conclusions on a limited set of results. Comparison to other coaches is destructive, in my view.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

One question.....Is it baseball season yet?
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

cjdore wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:15 amOne question.....Is it baseball season yet?
It's hard to imagine, with the shape the other 3 major sports are in, that it's a disappointment if the Vandy Boys aren't playing in the NC series. I mean every year.
Locked Previous topicNext topic