Vanderbilt Fanatics Departments
Accessories Auto Gift Cards Collectibles Footwear Golf & Sports
Hats Home & Office Jackets Jerseys Lawn & Garden Pajamas
Pants Polos Shirts & Sweats Shorts Sweatshirts Swim & Beach
T-Shirts Tailgate Baseball Basketball Football Everything
VandyMania is a proud Fanatics affiliate. Help us earn commisions (8%) buy purchasing Vandy gear.
Countdown to Kickoff!

Three biggest keys to Vanderbilt football success in 2020

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY

admin
Site Admin

Three biggest keys to Vanderbilt football success in 2020

Post by admin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:01 pm

Key 1) Offense clicks: Last season was a disaster offensively for Vandy. As we know in 2019 Vandy was dead last in the SEC in scoring offense. The Dores scored five less points a game on average than pitiful Arkansas. I think we basically didn't have an SEC level OC last season. Todd Fitch should give us a much better leader in the offensive game. The problem is he had like only a few days of spring practice to work on it. Can he get things straight before the season opens? My guess is that you start with the basics and move along implementing as much as possible before the season starts. We can't be doing things haphazardly though. The players need to develop a muscle memory for the offense. They may only get half the offense implemented but they must have perfection in running what they do get installed.

My guess is that the offense is already practicing the schemes and formations without coaches present. The players will have their electronic devices to get familiar with play setups. I'd guess that the players are meeting and running through things. Players have always done things in the summer like 7 on 7 scrimmages with local college teams. I'm not certain if actual 7 on 7 scrimmage with other teams is happening but I'm sure the players are getting together and doing all they can to grasp the new offense.

Key 2 COMING SOON
1 x

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g

Go Vandy!
Captain

Re: Three biggest keys to Vanderbilt football success in 2020

Post by Go Vandy! » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:08 pm

Don, I'm too old to stand the suspense! :D
1 x

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:45 am

Key 2) Quarterback development: For the first time that I can remember we do not have a returning quarterback on the roster. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. It certainly would be better if we had someone like Kyle Shurmur coming back but we don't. I thought Shurmur was slower than dead lice but he was tough and a good leader. We've got five guys coming in who have never played in a game before for Vanderbilt. Todd Fitch has to figure out which one works best for the team. A lot of folks seem to have ordained Ken Seals as the starter and that may come to pass, but I think we have a long way to go before we know who will be the starter. Seals himself likely agrees with that. It probably won't come down to who is the most talented. I think it will come down to whoever gets the best grasp of the offense will get the nod.

Mike Wright (6-3, 190) true freshman- Wright is a duel threat quarterback. He passed for over 2,600 yards and ran for 700 more as senior. Was responsible for 50 TDs. Completed over 64% of his passes.

Jeremy Moussa (6-3, 215) JC transfer (Jr.)- When you look at Moussa he seems to have the size and passing accuracy to play in the SEC. Moussa played at Hawaii initially and saw action in two games. He's one of only two Vandy QBs that have FBS level game experience. In two seasons of high school ball he passed for over 7,000 yards and 90 touchdowns. In JC he didn't do quite as well passing for 353.2 passing yards/game (199 of 375) and 37 touchdown passes but he led his JC team to a 9-2 record. Although recovering from an injury, Moussa did practice some in the spring.

Ken Seals (6-3, 205) true freshman- Passed for 5,714 passing yards and 53 touchdowns during his high school career. He practiced during the very brief Commodore spring drills and reportedly displayed good accuracy and leadership. He's a duel threat QB as he ran for almost 500 yards and seven TDs as a senior.

Danny Clark (6-4, 230) true freshman- Clark has the best size of all the VU QBs. Clark is a transfer from Kentucky where he spent two years. He passed for over 2,000 yards his senior year in high school. He's the other Vandy QB that has experience playing in a FBS game. Clark also played JC ball for a season between his UK and Vandy stints passing for over 2,000 yards.

Jack Bowen (6-0, 185) walk on Junior- We may write this kid off but he passed for over 4,000 yards and 50 touchdown passes in high school. Maybe a Whit Taylor type?

I think we have some very good QB talent. Play at QB should be much better than last season. Having a real OC will help a lot.
0 x

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Key 3 coming soon
0 x

VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:47 pm

So, Wright is a “duel” threat? Sounds dangerous. :-)
Thanks for the update.
1 x

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:48 pm

VandyPhile wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:47 pm
So, Wright is a “duel” threat? Sounds dangerous. :-)
Thanks for the update.
oops
0 x

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:00 pm

Key 3)

I'm one that doesn't think the Vanderbilt defense in 2019 was as bad as it seemed. When you have a struggling offense that puts a lot of pressure on the defense. Namely, the defensive players spend a lot more time on the field. I think the opening game against Georgia was an indication of how good the defense was. The Bulldogs were stymied on third down for the most part and forced to attempt field goals several times. As the season went on the team, despite showing a never quit attitude on the outside, the players were likely were questioning things on the inside.

This season should be better with Ted Roof running the D. He's got tons of experience successfully coordinating power conference defenses.

Here are my top returning players on the defensive side of the ball.

DB
Tae Daley, S, Sr.- 57 tackles, force three turnovers. One of the most experienced players on the team.
Frank Coppet, S, R-Sr.- Injured early in 2019 season. Had 30 tackles and 3 interceptions in 2018 as a RS sophomore.
Randall Haynie, CB, R-Jr.- Steady performer in 2018 and 2019. Has 33 career tackles despite limited starts. Int return for TD vs. LSU last season.
Jaylen Mahoney, CB, So.- 23 tackles and a interception last season. Started 4 games and played in all 12 in 2019.

LB
Dimitri Moore, R-Jr.- 99 tackles. Nine starts. 11 stops at Tennessee.
Feleti Afemui, R-Jr.- 10 starts at inside LB. 46 tackles. 16 combined tackles vs. LSU and Georgia. Injured two games.
Kenny Hebert, RS-Sr.- Seven starts. 34 tackles 7 TFLs and 2 sacks.
Elijah McAllister, RS-So.- OLB. 26 tackles, 2 1/2 sacks. 4 1/2 TFLs.
Andre Mintze, RS-Sr.- OLB. Nine starts. 40 tackles, 7 1/2 TFLs, 4 1/2 sacks.

DL
Dayo Odeyingbo, Sr.- 11 starts in 2019. 45 tackles, 12 TFLs, 1 1/2 sacks, 2 QB hurries.
Cameron Tidd, R-Sr.- Eight starts in 2019. 32 tackles, 2 1/2 TFLs, 1 1/, sacks.
Drew Birchmeier, R-Sr.- 12 starts in 2019. 21 tackles, 1 TFL.
Rutger Reitmaier, R-Jr.- 12 games played. 14 tackles, 4 1/2 tackles for loss, 1/2 sacks.
1 x

Dorewithaflare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:58 pm

As with every other team........OL
0 x

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:05 pm

Dorewithaflare wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:58 pm
As with every other team........OL
Can you tell us what you think the three keys should be?
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic