Vanderbilt Fanatics Departments
Accessories Auto Gift Cards Collectibles Footwear Golf & Sports
Hats Home & Office Jackets Jerseys Lawn & Garden Pajamas
Pants Polos Shirts & Sweats Shorts Sweatshirts Swim & Beach
T-Shirts Tailgate Baseball Basketball Football Everything
VandyMania is a proud Fanatics affiliate. Help us earn commisions (8%) buy purchasing Vandy gear.

Financial toll of coronavirus could cost college football at least $4 billion

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Re: Financial toll of coronavirus could cost college football at least $4 billion

Post by JWCommodore » Thu May 21, 2020 3:06 pm

"Too Big to Fail?"

Can't help but wonder if the end is near for the Billion dollar industry of college and professional sports as we know it.

Oh well. It pales in comparison to what our Medical-Industrial Complex is losing. Per the American Hospital Association the estimate for this last quarter is going to be......wait for it....drum roll.......$200 Billion.
0 x

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Financial toll of coronavirus could cost college football at least $4 billion

Post by Nashmann » Thu May 21, 2020 5:57 pm

Hospitals will make it up on my next x-ray lol.
0 x
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD

JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by JWCommodore » Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 am

That's true. Shows how ridiculous it is to have a For-profit healthcare system based on procedures and tests instead of one that's goal is to help the sick get well.

In regards to college sports, I figured the bubble would burst at some point, as the billion dollar business that it had morphed into wasn't going to be sustainable forever. Who could have envisioned a pandemic would be it's eventual undoing>
0 x

vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe » Fri May 22, 2020 8:12 pm

I will be surprised if Alabama ,Georgia, or Florida are able to play in front of fans this Fall.
0 x

LawoftheWest
Rear Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest » Sat May 23, 2020 12:11 am

vujoe wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:12 pm
I will be surprised if Alabama ,Georgia, or Florida are able to play in front of fans this Fall.
Recently the Wall Street Journal had an article analyzing what attendance could be this upcoming year at aTm. The aTm stadium holds over !00,000. If this fall we are still in the 6 feet distance rule, then aTm will be able to put less than 12,000 fans in the stadium. Much of their past fan participation has involved close contact, such as date kissing and swaying back and forth. If they have less than 12,000 attendance much of the fan excitement will be gone.

There will be difficult decisions for the big time schools as to which fans enter the game and who is excluded because of the distancing rules.

Finally, how many fans will want to be in stadiums where social contacts can lead to Covad-19. Not me.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic