Malik Dia enters the portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Obvious
Captain

Re: Malik Dia enters the portal

Post by Obvious »

vandy05 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:05 pm
egbertsouse wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:57 am
Vandysmith wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:01 pm Not unless the coach leave can a player leave the school. That should be the rule because it not fair to the school and us fans
what about the player? Is what is fair to 'us fans' more important that what is fair to the player?
I will answer the question. No, what's important to the fans is not more important than us fans. Run of the mill students get to transfer whenever they want for whatever reason they want. These guys are student-athletes and i they want to make a change then they should.

But more than that, I feel like if a coach can leave whenever he wants (if the place to where he is departing is willing to make the accommodations) then the player should be able to do the same. There isn't a reason that the kids should have a different standard than the coach.

Something else we should all be thinking really hard about when commenting on the player's "commitment" is the school's commitment. Schools are allowed to give four year scholarships, but most of them don't. Until the school is required to give a four year scholarship, why should the player not be allowed to transfer after his scholarship year is completed? The coaches are the ones with the multi-year commitments who break those to take new jobs.

I'll never be convinced that players should be restricted before one of the two happens: 1) the coaches are prevented from breaking a contract no matter what or; 2) player scholarships are guaranteed for four years.
So I have heard that the scholarships are always up at the end of the year and it’s up to the school to recommit each season?

Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

I am not trying to be a jerk or confrontational, I’m just legitimately curious if you or anyone can name a time a school has not renewed a players yearly. Scholarship? It seems to me that it may not be 4 years fully guaranteed, but I’m struggling to think of an instance where it has not been.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Lynchsr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:46 pm I am not trying to be a jerk or confrontational, I’m just legitimately curious if you or anyone can name a time a school has not renewed a players yearly. Scholarship? It seems to me that it may not be 4 years fully guaranteed, but I’m struggling to think of an instance where it has not been.
Barring legitimate concerns: academic ineligibility (which, in many places, is probably laughable); legal issues/conduct; etc. I doubt this happens very often.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Lynchsr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:46 pm I am not trying to be a jerk or confrontational, I’m just legitimately curious if you or anyone can name a time a school has not renewed a players yearly. Scholarship? It seems to me that it may not be 4 years fully guaranteed, but I’m struggling to think of an instance where it has not been.
Wasn't Matthew Dotson already moved into the dorms at uut when Pearl decided he hadn't "made the team" but for some reason Dotson was good enough to play 129 games at Belmont, started 92 of them, scored 1165 points there while hitting 37% from three.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

That’s a legitimate ponderance, but I believe it probably happens frequently. I doubt many coaches would ever admit it, but I’m thinking a coach may approach a player and inform him he doesn’t have a scholly for the player the next year. In these instances, I would think the player is aware of his status and will most likely transfer. I would imagine this occurs immediately or soon after the end of the season.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Ndorefin wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:02 pm
That’s a legitimate ponderance, but I believe it probably happens frequently. I doubt many coaches would ever admit it, but I’m thinking a coach may approach a player and inform him he doesn’t have a scholly for the player the next year. In these instances, I would think the player is aware of his status and will most likely transfer. I would imagine this occurs immediately or soon after the end of the season.
....or, in the case of some coaches, whenever it may suit their purposes/needs?
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:39 pm
Barring legitimate concerns: academic ineligibility (which, in many places, is probably laughable); legal issues/conduct; etc. I doubt this happens very often.
I could be wrong, but I believe I remember in Cal's first year at UK he had basically recruited Wall and Cousins and then got hired at UK and needed to figure out how to fit them in and ultimately cancelled some kids scholarship to make room for the bigger fish.

I believe this was the first time I discovered scholarships weren't guaranteed except for cause.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I've been out of town so I'm reviving this a bit, but yes, it is up to the school to renew each season. They can also renew on a semester basis. For example, a guy redshirts and does four years. In the summer before his fifth year they can tell him, look you need to get the rest of your credits by the end of the fall because you won't have a scholarship come January. I know two guys this happened to who were full scholarship players on the football team at Vanderbilt.

I'm a complete shill for the players. I'm telling you, college athletics is a dirty game that has never put the players first. Its not slavery by any stretch, but it can (emphasis on can) be very exploitative at every institution. One thing I know, the guys and gals who play the revenue sports are ready for the business world because they get an early lesson in it. Competing for spots, seeing yourself (or a teammate) lose their scholarship (essentially getting fired), time management, etc. They've seen a lot by the time they finish up.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Some even witness a murder or two...
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

mathguy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:23 pm
Vandysmith wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:01 pm Not unless the coach leave can a player leave the school. That should be the rule because it not fair to the school and us fans
I can't go that far. That's just crazy. I'd support having that sit out for a year rule reestablished, but people make mistakes, and these guys are kids not professionals signing 4-year contracts.
It's a fantasy either way.
Court cases were piling up against the transfer restrictions and they were not going to stand.

Everyone who keeps asking for the NCAA to re-impose restrictions : why do you think they dropped the restrictions in the first place? The member schools just came over all soft-hearted and ceded a bunch of their power away?
Out of kindness, I suppose?

I think Vanderbilt should grow a pair and force all alumni to dye their hair gold.
The NCAA can't tell scholarship athletes that they aren't allowed to transfer. They lost court cases over this and were about to lose a bunch more.
You're asking them to do something they have no power to do.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

How do you know that some of our portal guys weren't told to find another school. I remember Stallings "helping" a player find a better fit one time. I am sure it goes on annually at good ole VU.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

commadore wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:48 pm
How do you know that some of our portal guys weren't told to find another school. I remember Stallings "helping" a player find a better fit one time. I am sure it goes on annually at good ole VU.
Yes, CKS helped guys to find a better fit because he liked and cared for them. Two guys, Adam Payton and Charles Hinkle come to mind. Had great things to say about them, and understood that they wanted to play, but had other dudes like Mario Moore, etc. in front of them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic