Malik Dia enters the portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Malik Dia enters the portal

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: Malik Dia enters the portal

Post by geeznotagain »

Must have gotten tired of being schooled by QMB’s offensive moves in practice.

No, seriously, I wish the guy luck and expect him to do well wherever he ends up.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Darn. That’s a shame. He had a lot of potential.

I really hate the modern transfer portal. I miss the days when you could expect most players to play for 3-4 years (depending on whether or not they redshirted). Now you may only see a guy for a year before he’s gone. Hard to develop any sense of continuity. Hopefully there is good news on the horizon with a transfer in to fill the gap.
BWSeven
Chief

Post by BWSeven »

The portal is causing me to lose interest in college athletics. Will NCAA leadership grow a pair fight back with restrictions. I doubt it.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

if we manage to retain lewis, smith and dort, it will still be a darn strong class.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

docdore wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:33 pm if we manage to retain lewis, smith and dort, it will still be a darn strong class.
I agree. Those were the three best freshmen IMO.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I will utilize my jump to conclusions mat to predict Dort, Colin Smith, maybe even Jordan Wright will stay.

Dia had an impressive offer list out of high school. He will be fine. Seems like a terrific kid.

This could also be a hint that big Carter Lang might come in ready to play some stretch four.
Silverbird73
Seaman

Post by Silverbird73 »

Sorry to see Dia go as well, but I doubt if his or Shelby's portal decision was made in a vacuum. I would not surprise me, in view of Stackhouse's obviously strong relationship with his players, if these departures were tacitly encouraged or at minimum not discouraged by the staff. Stack obviously wants what is best for his team as well as his players. Leaving in some circumstances can be a win-win proposition. Manjon's signing last year and Robbins the year before is evidence that there are players out there on the portal that have the potential to be game changers for the program.
Last edited by Silverbird73 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I know Stack was going to meet with each player individually after the NIT run ended.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

He’ll be fine wherever he goes…let’s not underestimate academics and other factors

It’s never mentioned here, so I’ll say it…
Have to wonder if the political climate here in TN is driving some of these young guys to friendlier grounds.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

doubledore9603 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:17 pm He’ll be fine wherever he goes…let’s not underestimate academics and other factors

Have to wonder if the political climate here in TN is driving some of these young guys to friendlier grounds.
While I'm pretty sure you and I are on the "same side of the aisle" - I will respect the "no coffee shop rule" and not go very far discussing that. (I hope people don't look at the VS forum though but that one luckily is behind a paywall).

Playing time
might be the big factor in most of the countless hundreds of names in the portal. Just a hunch.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:54 pm
doubledore9603 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:17 pm He’ll be fine wherever he goes…let’s not underestimate academics and other factors

While I'm pretty sure you and I are on the "same side of the aisle" - I will respect the "no coffee shop rule" and not go very far discussing that. (I hope people don't look at the VS forum though but that one luckily is behind a paywall).

Playing time
might be the big factor in most of the countless hundreds of names in the portal. Just a hunch.
Shelby and Dia were getting the least amount of playing time. Colin Smith had a pretty good freshman season and finished as one our 5 or 6 best players. Lewis is a competitor and a fearless shooter. He reminds me a lot of Alex Gordon. Dort would’ve logged major minutes when Liam went down. So I see a strong correlation with playing time and the two that are transferring.I think a lot of us wanted Shelby because of the recruiting profile coming out of high school but he might not just fit into the system.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Silverbird73 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:55 pm I would not surprise me, in view of Stackhouse's obviously strong relationship with his players, if these departures were tacitly encouraged or at minimum not discouraged by the staff. Stack obviously wants what is best for his team as well as his players.
Honestly, I wonder exactly what Stack's relationship is with *all* of the players ... and I don't mean this to try to insult anyone.

Stack is ... fiery. He clearly feels passionately about the players, the team, and the process that leads to success. He clearly feels passionately about the guys that have stuck with the program.

The back side of that coin though is that I can easily imagine a freshman in the program thinking "this guy is a loon" or just generally finding him to be too harsh for their tastes.

And like I said ... not trying to get on Stack's case. Not every player would connect with any coach. Guys left Coach K ... guys have left Cal ... Bobby Knight's personality famously ran off Larry Bird for crying out loud. But it's possible Stack is the kind of coach that generates great loyalty ... from the guys that can get past his fire.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

This is disappointing. He showed a lot of potential. He and Dort were two that I was really hoping would step up next year.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

Not unless the coach leave can a player leave the school. That should be the rule because it not fair to the school and us fans
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Vandysmith wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:01 pm Not unless the coach leave can a player leave the school. That should be the rule because it not fair to the school and us fans
I can't go that far. That's just crazy. I'd support having that sit out for a year rule reestablished, but people make mistakes, and these guys are kids not professionals signing 4-year contracts.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

Vandysmith wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:01 pm Not unless the coach leave can a player leave the school. That should be the rule because it not fair to the school and us fans
what about the player? Is what is fair to 'us fans' more important that what is fair to the player?
accent grave over the e
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

Instant gratification generation + transfer portal = destruction of "commitment" to a program and the hard work it takes to develop into a deserving starter. Throw in the inevitable still-devolving shenanigans of NIL payments, and college sports have descended into another disappointing embodiment of modern entertainment's lowest common denominator.

Difficult to care much about recruiting or a particular team or player since it'll all be blown up again overnight over publicity, money, and self-promotion.

Academics?

Made you laugh.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

egbertsouse wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:57 am
what about the player? Is what is fair to 'us fans' more important that what is fair to the player?
Good question. But without us fans, and the $ we spend (and that the TV networks spend) there probably are no sports. See how they enjoy intramurals if it's simply for "the love of the sport".
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

egbertsouse wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:57 am
I will answer the question. No, what's important to the fans is not more important than us fans. Run of the mill students get to transfer whenever they want for whatever reason they want. These guys are student-athletes and i they want to make a change then they should.

But more than that, I feel like if a coach can leave whenever he wants (if the place to where he is departing is willing to make the accommodations) then the player should be able to do the same. There isn't a reason that the kids should have a different standard than the coach.

Something else we should all be thinking really hard about when commenting on the player's "commitment" is the school's commitment. Schools are allowed to give four year scholarships, but most of them don't. Until the school is required to give a four year scholarship, why should the player not be allowed to transfer after his scholarship year is completed? The coaches are the ones with the multi-year commitments who break those to take new jobs.

I'll never be convinced that players should be restricted before one of the two happens: 1) the coaches are prevented from breaking a contract no matter what or; 2) player scholarships are guaranteed for four years.
Locked Previous topicNext topic