UUT

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: UUT

Post by nyyankeeDore »

FayetteDore wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:05 pm Give me that old-time obsession,
Give me that old-time obsession,
Give me that old-time obsession,
It's good enough for me!

8-) :lol: :roll:
Obsession appears to run rampant among UUT apologists.

'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

DS2001 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:51 am Conference USA Coaches have figured out the Transfer portal. FAU has three transfers playing while both UAB and North Texas who are in the Final Four of the NIT both have five transfers into the program for this season playing. Good talent evaluation can take you a long way.
With Vanderbilt primarily able to only take Freshman or Graduate transfers, it limits our ability to plug and play somewhat.
Vanderbilt can take a junior who has 60 hours of transferrable credits.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:37 am I don't like their team or fans, but I do like Rick Barnes. That said, I was thrilled to wake up this morning and see that they had lost.
while i've felt pretty similarly about barnes as a very decent kind-hearted affable christian gentleman who deserves the respect that so many have for him, more recently there's a nagging disconnect for me since teams almost always reflect their coaching. the "rugby style" (many have called it thuggish) of play that the vols have seemed quite proud of recently (and which i don't respect), has made me wonder if i've been a bit too impressed with ol' rick.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

DS2001 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:51 am Conference USA Coaches have figured out the Transfer portal. FAU has three transfers playing while both UAB and North Texas who are in the Final Four of the NIT both have five transfers into the program for this season playing. Good talent evaluation can take you a long way.
With Vanderbilt primarily able to only take Freshman or Graduate transfers, it limits our ability to plug and play somewhat.
I'm not sure I agree with this comment - in just the last two seasons we've had Robbins and Manjon, both who came in with two seasons of eligibility left.

A part of the issue we've had is that a number of recruits we've brough in aren't great SEC players. Last year's freshman class all washed out, Stute and Thomas are ok players but both are a bit stretched as starters.

There is not a problem with the pool of available talent that CJS has to choose from. There have been a bit too many misses which is why we haven't made the tournament yet.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Jason94 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:52 pm
I'm not sure I agree with this comment - in just the last two seasons we've had Robbins and Manjon, both who came in with two seasons of eligibility left.

A part of the issue we've had is that a number of recruits we've brough in aren't great SEC players. Last year's freshman class all washed out, Stute and Thomas are ok players but both are a bit stretched as starters.

There is not a problem with the pool of available talent that CJS has to choose from. There have been a bit too many misses which is why we haven't made the tournament yet.
Stute and Thomas were in Stack’s first full class (technically second class as HC, but the first mainly involved keeping Drew’s recruits on board and snagging Jordan Wright, who ended up being a gem). The program was still a train wreck and he had very limited time to build relationships with recruits relative to his coaching peers. He seems to be raising the profile of VU recruiting with this year’s freshmen and the incoming class of 2023. He also seems to be figuring out the transfer game with Chatman, Robbins, and Manjon all contributing very well when healthy. One could argue that Ansong was also a nice addition late in the cycle for what he provided as an athletic body who hustled and contributed very well as a bench player. The next step is retention and continuing to build momentum.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

vandybrad wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:35 am
Golddore68 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:57 am I was very disappointed that they beat Duke and made it to the Sweet 16, but the way they lost in the Sweet 16 made it worth it.

Losing to a no name team, Florida Atlantic. Lol.

Since FDU knocked out the No. 1 seed Purdue in their side of the bracket I was thinking UT would be able to make the Final Four. I thought they’d beat FAU and Kansas State. Thanks FAU for keeping that from happening.

Now if only SDS can defeat the other “thug” team in the SEC, Alabama …
That no name team had only 3 losses and one was to the team that just beat us knocking us out of the NIT
Yes they has a good year but when you think of basketball powerhouses FAU isn’t one of the colleges you think of.

Duke, whom UT beat in the second round, has been a college basketball powerhouse. FAU, no.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Golddore68 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:05 pm
Golddore68 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:57 am I was very disappointed that they beat Duke and made it to the Sweet 16, but the way they lost in the Sweet 16 made it worth it.

Losing to a no name team, Florida Atlantic. Lol.

Since FDU knocked out the No. 1 seed Purdue in their side of the bracket I was thinking UT would be able to make the Final Four. I thought they’d beat FAU and Kansas State. Thanks FAU for keeping that from happening.

Now if only SDS can defeat the other “thug” team in the SEC, Alabama …
That no name team had only 3 losses and one was to the team that just beat us knocking us out of the NIT
Yes they has a good year but when you think of basketball powerhouses FAU isn’t one of the colleges you think of.

Duke, whom UT beat in the second round, has been a college basketball powerhouse. FAU, no.
That "no-name" FAU is in the Final Four.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

FayetteDore wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:36 pm
Golddore68 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:05 pm

That "no-name" FAU is in the Final Four.
I actually think Dia should go mid-major to get immediate playing time. That's what he needs.

At 6-9/240, he had the physical athletic part going for him. Just needs lots of game time experience.

The only mid-major on his offer list out of h.s. was Ohio University. Their coach (Jeff Boals) is from the Thad Matta coaching tree at tOSU. They have a 13,000 capacity gym. It wouldn't be a crazy choice.
Locked Previous topicNext topic