My take on the UAB game........

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vandybrad
Commander

My take on the UAB game........

Post by vandybrad »

Ok guys, I was at the game and having played as well as coached for almost 50 years and here is my take. First, give UAB credit. That 1-2-2 matchup zone they were playing a lot of with some serious in you jock defense disturbed us. Yes, there were plenty of fouls that could of been called but overall, I thought the refs were letting both teams play. When you shoot 27% in the first half and 33% overall, there is not much chance in winning. UAB was not shooting much better but a major difference maker was 17 for 17 at the line to our 1 for 5. Their defense was designed to guard the perimeter as they knew we had no matchup with their 6'10 center and 6'9 power forward. Yes, we beat them a few times in the paint with that defense but for the most part, their defense worked as planned. Too bad we couldn't throw it in the ocean from behind the arc last night. Our rebounding and turnovers were killers also last night. The team flat looked tired and out of sync. Don't forget UAB gave FAU one of their 3 losses this year along with beating UGA in our division. They were without a doubt the better team last night. So looking forward to next year.
Last edited by vandybrad on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: My take on the UAB game........

Post by mathguy »

Yeah. We brought our "B" game. They brought their "B+". If we had Liam available we definitely win. If we make a few more free throws (including front ends of 1-and-1s) and go 4-7 instead of 1-5 at the line, that might have been enough ... I know we lost by only 3, but don't forget we got to within 3 late in the game and had to foul them ... if we were tied at that point instead of needing to foul ... who knows.

Ah well. 22 wins is the most for this program in a decade. We proved we can win without Liam at the end of this season, and he's probably (hopefully?) our only real significant loss.

If we can find someone other than QMB to rebound next year (Dort? Dia? Transfer? Freshman?) we will be a problem for a lot of teams all year long.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

a couple of clarificaions: according to espn's box score, the blazers were 17 of 17 from the line (we were one of five) and we lost by eight. i wasn't able to watch the game, but it's really surprising, considering the margin and the comments on this board, that the two teams were essentially identical in rebounds, turnovers, assists, steals and number of fouls(!!).
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

docdore wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:13 pm a couple of clarificaions: according to espn's box score, the blazers were 17 of 17 from the line (we were one of five) and we lost by eight. i wasn't able to watch the game, but it's really surprising, considering the margin and the comments on this board, that the two teams were essentially identical in rebounds, turnovers, assists, steals and number of fouls(!!).
Thanks doc, I corrected it. I quit watching them shooting FT's when we had to start fouling.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

We got off to a horrible start, then played well for about 10 minutes and, as I remember, were pretty much in control of the game, up about 27-22 with 3 minutes to go in the half. At that point I thought we might be up 10 at the half.

From that point on -- for the rest of the game -- our offense didn't click, or UAB's defense was better, or both.

There were times in the second half when UAB's defense was so good that nothing was working, and we revered to "Manjon and Lawrence doing one on one moves to score," which works about 1/3 of the time.

I think the bigger mystery in hindsight is how Vanderbilt beat Kentucky TWICE without Robbins.
rEvUrB
Captain

Post by rEvUrB »

UAB was a good team and they were quick on the perimeter and big inside. Athletes all over the court. The center looked like David Robinson and really exposed the lack of Robbins. Their guards had quick hands and were able to stay in front of Majon in large part. Lawrence was off most of the night but I think it was more UAB than anything. Driving lanes were hard to find. Looked like the first 10 mins of the A&M game from an opponents defensive standpoint. The crowd was good, they looked ready but the Blazers were better. Hats off to them.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

vandybrad wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:52 pm
docdore wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:13 pm a couple of clarificaions: according to espn's box score, the blazers were 17 of 17 from the line (we were one of five) and we lost by eight. i wasn't able to watch the game, but it's really surprising, considering the margin and the comments on this board, that the two teams were essentially identical in rebounds, turnovers, assists, steals and number of fouls(!!).
Thanks doc, I corrected it. I quit watching them shooting FT's when we had to start fouling.
VU only drew one shooting foul…despite pressing the issue inside much of the second half. Stack was none too pleased with officiating in post-game interview, but also didn’t make excuses or blame the loss on it. Still, FT discrepancy was telling and odd. Bigger problem I saw was passing up a number of open perimeter shots late in favor of trying to drive into clogged lanes. Yes, they were cold shooting, but driving wasn’t drawing calls and led to many late turnovers that sealed their fate. Early in the game VU actually had a pretty decent margin in the turnover battle.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

UAB was 6-6 FT in the last 26 seconds as we fouled in attempt to catch up.

For the game, each team was called for 15 fouls.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

i do not imagine that Coach Kennedy will stick around at UAB....bigger pies are out there.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

UAB would have beaten any SEC team not named Alabama.
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

VU1970 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:21 pm UAB would have beaten any SEC team not named Alabama.
They played SEC ball and we couldn’t handle the ball screens and too many second chance points.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

The story of the game was the flip in turnover margin from H1 to H2
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

VU1970 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:21 pm UAB would have beaten any SEC team not named Alabama.
And they might have beaten Alabama!
Locked Previous topicNext topic