Jordan Wright

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Jordan Wright

Post by commadore »

Is his coming back contingent on him getting into grad school? He has already graduated, so he has to take hours to play. Anyone have any insight here?

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Jordan Wright

Post by charlestonalum »

Paper (Aria) says "he is undecided" don't know if he has an acceptance to grad school in hand or not. His leadership would be valuable.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

commadore wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:44 pm Is his coming back contingent on him getting into grad school? He has already graduated, so he has to take hours to play. Anyone have any insight here?
What a silly, outdated, unnecessary rule.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

geeznotagain wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:15 am
commadore wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:44 pm Is his coming back contingent on him getting into grad school? He has already graduated, so he has to take hours to play. Anyone have any insight here?
I think Matt leinart at USC took a dance class as a fifth year senior to stay eligible to play.
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

Jordan was SEC scholar athlete of the year (maybe twice?) - this has nothing to do with academics, just whether or not he wants to put in another year with this program, get a change of scenery on a likely contender or hang it up and move on with his professional career.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

I'll be surprised if he's back. I think this was a tough season for him physically. Think his back is still bothering him a bit. If he continues to play, I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer somewhere closer to home where his family could see him play regularly. Tulane, La Tech, even LSU. Something like that.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

MemorialMagic wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:52 am I'll be surprised if he's back. I think this was a tough season for him physically. Think his back is still bothering him a bit. If he continues to play, I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer somewhere closer to home where his family could see him play regularly. Tulane, La Tech, even LSU. Something like that.
Agreed. I’d love to see him return. I just don’t find it very likely at all. There’s a reason the staff is active in the portal.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I don't see him coming back.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Why? Seems silly to me that someone would be on the team if they weren't, you know, actually a student.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

mathguy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:02 pm
Why? Seems silly to me that someone would be on the team if they weren't, you know, actually a student.
methinks geez may have had tongue in cheek. as for jw, he should and likely will do what he and his family feel is best for him. he has made it known publicly that he aspires to be an nba gm. there are likely graduate programs elsewhere, such as sports management or sports administration, that he may find attractive...and such might be available in louisiana...and, and etc. (such as girlfriend elsewhere). even though an owen degree would do nothing but help him, based on what i think i may know, jordan may see it otherwise....and wouldn't his athletic scholarship only cover one year of a very expensive (?two year?) owen mba program?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Fairly sure he was being sarcastic.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

OldDude wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:17 pm

Fairly sure he was being sarcastic.
Sorry. My sarcasm sensor was in the shop. :oops:
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

If Wright doesn't come back it will be a huge shock. If he and Coach have such a great relationship it would be a sign that college basketball has zero loyality. For all Vanderbilt has done for the current team, I think he is back. By NCAA rule he has to be in enrolled with either 12 undergraduate hours or 9 graduate hours. He is a fantastic man. I hope he is back.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

dorelover82 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:42 pm If Wright doesn't come back it will be a huge shock. If he and Coach have such a great relationship it would be a sign that college basketball has zero loyality. For all Vanderbilt has done for the current team, I think he is back. By NCAA rule he has to be in enrolled with either 12 undergraduate hours or 9 graduate hours. He is a fantastic man. I hope he is back.
Zero loyalty? Wright has earned his degree and he can move onto the next part of his life if he chooses.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

dorelover82 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:42 pm If Wright doesn't come back it will be a huge shock. If he and Coach have such a great relationship it would be a sign that college basketball has zero loyality. For all Vanderbilt has done for the current team, I think he is back. By NCAA rule he has to be in enrolled with either 12 undergraduate hours or 9 graduate hours. He is a fantastic man. I hope he is back.
Lack of loyalty on JW's part or Vanderbilt's?
Wright has given us four years of playing to the absolute limit of his abikity and worked hard every offseason to improve his game. He has been on the all SEC academic team every year. He played all year this year with a painful back injury that will probably never go away completely. He's been a fine athlete scholar and representative of the university and he will graduate this Spring. He doesn't owe Vanderbilt anything at this point.

If he wants to go to a grad school for which he is qualified and doesn't get admitted then I'd say that is gross disloyalty on Vanderbilt's part.
But JW has more than fulfilled his obligations to the school and the program. If there is a grad school program somewhere else that better fits his goals (or is simply less expensive when his eligibility is out) we have no grounds to complain. I'd love to see him back but if he moves on he should have nothing but gratitude and best wishes from Vanderbilt fans.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

I feel like if Jordan can get into whatever grad program he wants and wants to go elsewhere and use his basketball skills to do that at a lower cost/get into a program of his choice… good for him!
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

alathIN wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:09 am
Lack of loyalty on JW's part or Vanderbilt's?
Wright has given us four years of playing to the absolute limit of his abikity and worked hard every offseason to improve his game. He has been on the all SEC academic team every year. He played all year this year with a painful back injury that will probably never go away completely. He's been a fine athlete scholar and representative of the university and he will graduate this Spring. He doesn't owe Vanderbilt anything at this point.

If he wants to go to a grad school for which he is qualified and doesn't get admitted then I'd say that is gross disloyalty on Vanderbilt's part.
But JW has more than fulfilled his obligations to the school and the program. If there is a grad school program somewhere else that better fits his goals (or is simply less expensive when his eligibility is out) we have no grounds to complain. I'd love to see him back but if he moves on he should have nothing but gratitude and best wishes from Vanderbilt fans.
I have a question as to this point. Is there anything to prevent VU from putting him on academic scholarship for the second year of a grad program since he wouldn't be on the team any longer ?
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

OldDude wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:47 am I have a question as to this point. Is there anything to prevent VU from putting him on academic scholarship for the second year of a grad program since he wouldn't be on the team any longer ?
I don't know but if an athletic undergrad scholarship actually does preclude a grad school scholarship that is a crazy rule that needs to be gotten rid of.

However I can only imagine the reaction if a Vanderbilt grad school was asked to give academic scholarship funds as a parting gift to a Vanderbilt athlete. "Special treatment for athletes" is not exactly a hallmark of Vanderbilt - unless you mean "special mistreatment."
IMO, VU athletes should be able to get reasonable conveniences like preferential class registration so their class times fit with practice/games/etc. There are a lot of minor accommodations for athletes that are standard practice everywhere other than Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt could stand to move more toward the mainstream on these.
However, I don't think athletes should get preferential treatment for academic grad school scholarships. If Wright is by grad school academic criteria the best candidate for their scholarship, his history as a VU athlete shouldn't preclude him getting the scholarship. If another non-athlete candidate better meets the grad school's criteria, they shouldn't give the scholly to Wright because of his history as a VU athlete.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

In his year 2, maybe he could be hired as an ASST Coach.......we seem to have a need for a lot of these.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

I would give Jordan Wright the benefit of the doubt rather than question his loyalty.
Locked Previous topicNext topic