At 1:34, Michigan had a 96.7% chance to win

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

At 1:34, Michigan had a 96.7% chance to win

Post by historybill »

I remember the comeback against NC State in the NCAA tournament 20 years ago, and also the Goheen basket against Pitt in the late 1980s. What happened yesterday falls into the same category.

According to the ESPN game tracker, Michigan had the ball, an 8-point lead, and a 96.7 percent chance to win at the 1:34 mark.

At that point, I thought to myself, "well, it was a great run. Sorry we lost this one, but oh well."

I nearly left, but asked the guy I was with, and he said he wanted to see the end.

What happened in that last 1:34 was just bizarre.

Obviously it isn't the talk of the country today, because it was an NIT game, but it would be if had been an NCAA tournament game.

I STILL can't believe Vanderbilt won.

By the way, the "game summary" AP sent out was actually written by a computer, which is why it doesn't really reflect the bizarre comeback.

admin
Site Admin

Re: At 1:34, Michigan had a 96.7% chance to win

Post by admin »

We've had some great coaching in close games, this wasn't close at that point but it was coaching that got them over the 8-point hump. I'm kind of a big Ten hater but I felt for those players after the game. That had to hurt.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

admin wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:47 pm We've had some great coaching in close games, this wasn't close at that point but it was coaching that got them over the 8-point hump. I'm kind of a big Ten hater but I felt for those players after the game. That had to hurt.
Coaching and great execution: required both.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Here's the game this most reminded me of...the 1986 win at home over UT that marked the coming out party for Barry Goheen and Barry Booker: https://vucommodores.com/chc-vandy-stun ... -comeback/. (This was pre-three-point shot.)
skinnerfan
Lieutenant

Post by skinnerfan »

I was at the UT- Vandy game in 1986. What a comeback. Just like this one, everything fell into place for Vanderbilt. Never give up!
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I missed the January 1986 UT game because I hurt my knee playing tackle football in centennial park and had knee surgery that day. Some friends dropped by to see me in my hospital room on the way to the game.

I very nearly lost my ROTC scholarship over it.

But I heard what happened.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I'm just hoping that this thread will take over from the stute thread, which apparently will dominate for weeks.

Move on, people.

We have a great team.

Be happy about it!
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

As Historybill says, Don't worry, be happy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68vZX2uUKKA
VUgearhead
Rear Admiral

Post by VUgearhead »

skinnerfan wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:22 pm I was at the UT- Vandy game in 1986. What a comeback. Just like this one, everything fell into place for Vanderbilt. Never give up!
So was I, in the student section. What a moment! The quintessential Memorial Magic moment. It is always the memory I return to whenever Vandy comes back to win a game.
Locked Previous topicNext topic