Stute into the portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Re: Stute into the portal

Post by underdog74 »

Stute was a streaky shooter this season. He was pretty one dimensional on offense, and if his shot was not falling, he was easy to defend. He played with a lot of emotion, which at times could get him rattled and make silly fouls/decisions. His defensive effort was good and he hustled for rebounds and loose balls. I have to believe that he could see Colin and possibly JaQuaon gobbling up the minutes. I hope he finds a good landing spot.

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

We can all speculate, but his message to the staff was pretty clear. It makes me think something happened after the last game that led to this.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

I’m sure this will sound harsh but I’ve never been more excited about a player transfer.

Wish him well. We can do better
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

This gives us 3 official departures with 3 incoming freshmen. Scholarships available currently: 0
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:06 am This gives us 3 official departures with 3 incoming freshmen. Scholarships available currently: 0
Are you including Jordan Wright as a returnee?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:08 am
Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:06 am This gives us 3 official departures with 3 incoming freshmen. Scholarships available currently: 0
No. Ansong, robbins, stute gone. West, lang, roberts incoming.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Wright hasn’t officially announced his departure. Though he did participate in the senior day ceremony, which is why most have assumed he is done unless he says otherwise.

Wish Myles had stuck around for the NIT, but at the end of the day, I appreciate the contributions he made to getting VU back where we all hoped/expected it should be after several down seasons. He has a lot of grit, and as a previous poster noted, embodied the toughness this team demonstrated down the stretch. I wish him well on his continued journey.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:17 am
Wright hasn’t officially announced his departure. Though he did participate in the senior day ceremony, which is why most have assumed he is done unless he says otherwise.

Wish Myles had stuck around for the NIT, but at the end of the day, I appreciate the contributions he made to getting VU back where we all hoped/expected it should be after several down seasons. He has a lot of grit, and as a previous poster noted, embodied the toughness this team demonstrated down the stretch. I wish him well on his continued journey.
Stack runs a deep bench. Will Malik dia pick up minutes or will he go small and play Noah Shelby?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I wouldn’t be surprised if another player hits the portal but actually waits until after the season. The assumption that Stute wanted to get his name out there quickly is probably accurate. But also this team started overseas in Europe, got embarrassed early on and fought like hell to get back. They left everything on the floor and came up just short of the NCAA. Props to the Vanderbilt men still playing for each other.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I think Dia will get the minutes. He got more minutes than Shelby during the season. Shelby can shoot but the rest of his game is lacking at this point. He doesn't handle the ball well yet or play defense as well as others. Expect him to improve a lot over the summer.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:51 am I think Dia will get the minutes. He got more minutes than Shelby during the season. Shelby can shoot but the rest of his game is lacking at this point. He doesn't handle the ball well yet or play defense as well as others. Expect him to improve a lot over the summer.
There is also Ansong who could provide some solid minutes. If stack wants to develop he will go with the freshmen. I don’t think stack will want to develop right now. I think he wants to win this tournament.
Mcflash
Lieutenant

Post by Mcflash »

He lost his minutes and starting job to Colin Smith. He consistently went to sleep on defense and showed poor judgment in shot selection. I also wasn't a big fan of his behavior on court. If things went good for hime he had a tendancy to show his behind; if things were bad he sometimes chose to sulk. I am also not enthralled with his decision to abandon his teammates before the season is done.
Good luck in the future, anyway.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

maybe his departure before the NIT wasn't exactly his decision....
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

Hate seeing anyone leave but this is probably the best for both parties involved.

Hope he does well wherever he lands.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

VUaskew wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:17 am maybe his departure before the NIT wasn't exactly his decision....
This.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I also happened to notice that his name was quickly wiped off the roster on the official website. The VUAD hardly ever moves that fast.

May mean something, may not mean anything...
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

Per the timing of Stute entering the portal . . . who actually knows? . . . . but WBB player, Bre Alexander did the same last season and did not play in the WNIT. I would guess that Miles entering the portal was likely well known within the team and probably even discussed with the staff. Having already made the decision to "move on" the staff may be fine using the NIT as an opportunity to develop the roster a bit more toward next season (much as CSR did last year with the team in the WNIT without Alexander). I too wish Miles the best and appreciate all of his hard work and effort for the Black and Gold. I did, from time to time, have frustration with what I think was his maturity level such as the intentional kick to the groin of an opponent earlier in the year. Let's hope we can keep the rest of them! I think Jordan Wrights situation is very similar to Bre Alexanders last year. She EARNED HER DEGREE, as will Wright, and pursued a graduate degree at Maryland that Vanderbilt DIDN'T OFFER (it is my understanding that she wants to be a pharmacist, although her Maryland bio says she is working toward a degree in Economics). As a "SEC Scholar/Athlete" award recipient I think Jordan can no doubt get into Vandy Grad School . . . it just depends on IF the Vandy Grad program OFFERS coursework that he'd like to pursue.
PS - Bre Alexander and Maryland will be playing in the NCAA tournament later this week. I would have LOVED for her to have stayed at Vandy; however, am so excited that she will have the opportunity to play in "the BIG DANCE"! She seemed like a "class act" . . . . just like JORDAN WRIGHT!! AD*
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

Or maybe he is struggling academically? Drop classes now? Its all quite surprising in terms of leaving the team days before a tourney.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:01 am We can all speculate, but his message to the staff was pretty clear. It makes me think something happened after the last game that led to this.
Is there some announcement, which I have missed, other than the brief Tweet about this? Thanks.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

I hope all goes well for Stute, but have a very negative response to timing and leaving before the NIT. His teammates deserve far better.
Locked Previous topicNext topic