Stute into the portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Twenty-one
Seaman

Stute into the portal

Post by Twenty-one »

Just saw this as apparently he’s done at Vandy wishing the team good luck in the NIT

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Stute into the portal

Post by Nashmann »

Wish him the best.....easily replaced for next year except we needed one to leave to allow for the 3 incoming signees. I hope Myles is or will be getting his degree. What a shame if he isn't.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Youngvandy12
Seaman Recruit

Post by Youngvandy12 »

Wish him well, he was good at times and didn’t do great this season but still one of my favorites
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Sigh.

I was hoping he'd come back.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

From what I have seen he is a hard worker. However, his 3 point shooting was cyclical this year, sometimes hurting the team. I do not know enough to analyze his strengths and weaknesses. Others more knowledgeable can fill in the blanks.

Maybe he saw that his playing time would diminish as the younger players develop. Maybe he felt that Smith and Dia would take away his minutes. Who knows. Wishing him the best wherever he goes.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

A bit sad; not surprised
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Not in NIT: so sorry for it to end this way. He gave his all.wish him well.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Why would you not play in the NIT and just do this a week later? If we made the NCAA for sure he would still play right? This looks selfish to leave now vs a week or two from now
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Wishing Myles all the best. He seemed to give his all for Vanderbilt basketball.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Wish him the best, too. He played hard.

We’ll miss him. The NIT would have helped his stock, I think. Curious way to go out. If we get to Michigan, we will miss him in that game badly - but more time for Dia who has huge upside.

Stute gave us swag and fight. He just was in a terrible shooting funk late this year. I think opponents got real physical with him - refs let them, and he started rushing his shots. It spiraled. I’m prepared for him to be a star next year on a big-12 contender. We’ll probably end up playing him…

I will miss him. I will say I think he helped set the cocky, hard-working, never backdown mindset that made this team so much fun to watch. That mindset lives on with other guys now. But he really helped establish it. I will always root for him. Except when he’s on the other side.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Question is this, is he so bitter and wanting out so badly that he couldn't wait a couple of weeks until the season ended? Pretty low rent to abandon his teammates like that.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I will miss him, but don't understand leaving now. He is letting his teammates down- we need the bodies. Something must have happened. He doesn't mention Stackhouse in his farewell message. I think he got frustrated and probably had a blowup. I loved his attitude and toughness. He's a good kid and I understand the frustration this year, but I don't understand skipping out before the NIT.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Vandy187187 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:17 am Why would you not play in the NIT and just do this a week later? If we made the NCAA for sure he would still play right? This looks selfish to leave now vs a week or two from now
The charitable take is he stepped aside to give others the chance he had. He has been a great asset to team.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

For the glass half-full crowd, it is also possibly an indication that Smith, Dia and Dort will return, there may be a portal addition and his playing time next year was no guarantee….
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:26 am I will miss him, but don't understand leaving now. He is letting his teammates down- we need the bodies. Something must have happened. He doesn't mention Stackhouse in his farewell message. I think he got frustrated and probably had a blowup. I loved his attitude and toughness. He's a good kid and I understand the frustration this year, but I don't understand skipping out before the NIT.
There’s no mention of the coaching staff at all. He even takes a subtle jab by saying he wants to transfer somewhere that maximizes his ability as a player. The final paragraph is a little tongue in cheek.

He fought hard and played with an edge. At times he was a deadly 3 point shooter. The staff continued to support him and kept him on the floor during an awful shooting slump. He got plenty of playing time so it must have been an issue with the staff and his idea of his own potential. Personally, I think he showed great improvement in his maturity on the floor.

One question, would he abandon the team if we had made the NCAA?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

If this means we have space for Jordan Wright, I’ll take it.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Wish him only good things. As others have said, through good and bad shooting streaks he played with grit and energy. I share the confusion on the timing.
Big time sports is really a business and he needs to do what's best for him, nevertheless sad to see him go.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

On the one hand, I hate it for any student athlete who has invested three years at a university and who may be just a year from graduating. I wish Stute much luck in the next part of his journey. He struggled mightily at times this season, but we know he is capable of much more.

On the other hand, I don't understand the timing. The season could end tonight, or it could be two weeks away from its conclusion. It feels like a needless distraction at a time when the team is still playing, unless he felt he had to get his name out there as soon as possible, on the day the portal opened.

And who wouldn't want a potential all-expenses-paid trip to Vegas?
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

commadore wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:22 am Question is this, is he so bitter and wanting out so badly that he couldn't wait a couple of weeks until the season ended? Pretty low rent to abandon his teammates like that.
Maybe he wanted to maximize his opportunities? If he waited a couple weeks he might miss out on a roster spot? That would be my only assumption.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Since a record 173 guys entered the portal in one day alone...an all time record...maybe his timing was motivated by a beat the rush strategy because the flood of names will continue for a while. There are lots of schools that won't have a Colin Smith level forward ready to take his minutes.
Locked Previous topicNext topic