NIT Finals or NCAA first round loss?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

baseball1234
Commander

NIT Finals or NCAA first round loss?

Post by baseball1234 »

For fun, would you prefer a tourney bid with a first round loss or to get snubbed (if we deserve to be in) and advance to NIT finals? I'll hang up and listen.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: NIT Finals or NCAA first round loss?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

NCAA every time and it's not even close.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Said it before and I'll say it again.

If I somehow magically had PERFECT knowledge of the future ... I'd rather the fun ride of 3 or 4 wins through the NIT than seeing us eliminated by 5pm on the first day of the NCAAs.

But that perfect knowledge doesn't exist. Maybe there's an NCAA run hiding in us that we can't see yet. Maybe there's an NIT flameout is the players are disappointed they aren't in a better tournament.

So in reality, I would always ALWAYS root for the NCAA bid ... even if it is more likely to be a short stay.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

NCAA.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:12 pm NCAA every time and it's not even close.
100%
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Some of my best thoughts of Commodore basketball were from the NIT. I remember one year when we went to the NIT there were about seven team on that NCAA list that we had beaten.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

we won the NIT with Fogler, but would have rather won the NCAA, but not lose in the first round. Most of all right not I want to beat LSU.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I don't even understand how anyone would not want to compete in the big dance every year vs making runs in the NIT. Talk about how our standards have dropped, holy cow.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We all want to be the NCAA champion: that was not the question, the question was lose in the first round of NCAA or have a long run in NIT.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I’ll take the end result of winning the NIT over a first round ncaa loss. Because one is a win and the other option is a loss. And no one needs to add anymore layers to the question. Going to the NCAA is very exciting and I think the NCAA tournament is the best sporting event overall. But what end result do you want a first round loss or the other tournament championship?
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

Ncaa every day of the week and twice on Sunday. That’s like asking if you’d rather play in the orange bowl or the belk bowl
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Obvious wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:43 pm I’ll take the end result of winning the NIT over a first round ncaa loss. Because one is a win and the other option is a loss. And no one needs to add anymore layers to the question. Going to the NCAA is very exciting and I think the NCAA tournament is the best sporting event overall. But what end result do you want a first round loss or the other tournament championship?
I agree with Charleston: the original question (hence the subject line) was "NIT Finals or NCAA first round loss." You've carried it a step further with an NIT Championship as opposed to just playing in the Finals. THAT would mean another championship banner hanging in Memorial. So, if that is the choice, give me an NIT championship over a first-round NCAA loss.

It's all about the wording of the question.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

NCAA bid, every time. Like the lottery, a ticket and a dream.Even it is only for 4-5 days
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

FayetteDore wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:03 am
Obvious wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:43 pm I’ll take the end result of winning the NIT over a first round ncaa loss. Because one is a win and the other option is a loss. And no one needs to add anymore layers to the question. Going to the NCAA is very exciting and I think the NCAA tournament is the best sporting event overall. But what end result do you want a first round loss or the other tournament championship?
I agree with Charleston: the original question (hence the subject line) was "NIT Finals or NCAA first round loss." You've carried it a step further with an NIT Championship as opposed to just playing in the Finals. THAT would mean another championship banner hanging in Memorial. So, if that is the choice, give me an NIT championship over a first-round NCAA loss.

It's all about the wording of the question.
It did say NIT finals. I just penciled us into win the final since we were already there.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

NIT finals run would mean several more games (possibly at home). Starting result I clearly pick the NCAA tournament. Ending result why would you not want an NIT final appearance over a one and done? NIT final would mean we played great basketball during that tournament. First round ncaa loss could be a blowout.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Obvious wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:51 am NIT finals run would mean several more games (possibly at home). Starting result I clearly pick the NCAA tournament. Ending result why would you not want an NIT final appearance over a one and done? NIT final would mean we played great basketball during that tournament. First round ncaa loss could be a blowout.
For all those worried about next year, I will vote your proxy and answer finals of NIT. More practice and even possibly playing time for the young players who have to develop.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Losing in the first round of the NCAA always cut me deeper than winning a couple of games in the NIT before a lose. NCAA is certainly more exciting, but winning games is a lot of fun. I'd go NIT.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Obvious wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:51 am NIT finals run would mean several more games (possibly at home). Starting result I clearly pick the NCAA tournament. Ending result why would you not want an NIT final appearance over a one and done? NIT final would mean we played great basketball during that tournament. First round ncaa loss could be a blowout.
Like the 20 point loss to Wichita St on March 15, 2016
or
March 21, 2008, 21 point loss to Siena
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

I enjoy the NIT (and all levels of college basketball). However, it has to be the NCAAT for me.

Taken a step further, many on this board talk about the Corey Smith Wichita State win as an all-timer. I mean, don’t get me wrong, that was really cool and improbable, but what was it, a second round NIT game? That means less to me than a regular SEC game against a rival. And the Mario Moore winner against Oregon was a bigger buzzer beater from (roughly) that era to me.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

I'd rather a loss in the NCAA tournament than any loss in the NIT even if the finals. But if told me we'd win the NIT vs losing in the first round (especially if it was in that pre first round in Dayton), I think I'd rather win the NIT.

But of course you'd never know the alternative. If we were a bubble team relegated to NIT, got hot at the right time and won the whole thing, I'd be left wondering if we had snuck into NCAA would we have also gotten hot and made a deep run there as well. So it may be a somewhat hollow victory. And in the end an NCAA bid is always better.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic