NIT Finals or NCAA first round loss?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Obvious
Captain

Re: NIT Finals or NCAA first round loss?

Post by Obvious »

oakparkDore wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:24 am I enjoy the NIT (and all levels of college basketball). However, it has to be the NCAAT for me.

Taken a step further, many on this board talk about the Corey Smith Wichita State win as an all-timer. I mean, don’t get me wrong, that was really cool and improbable, but what was it, a second round NIT game? That means less to me than a regular SEC game against a rival. And the Mario Moore winner against Oregon was a bigger buzzer beater from (roughly) that era to me.
I was at the Oregon buzzer beater game. I didn’t remember that it was an NIT game.

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

NIT finals...more exposure...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Obvious wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:00 am
oakparkDore wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:24 am I enjoy the NIT (and all levels of college basketball). However, it has to be the NCAAT for me.

Taken a step further, many on this board talk about the Corey Smith Wichita State win as an all-timer. I mean, don’t get me wrong, that was really cool and improbable, but what was it, a second round NIT game? That means less to me than a regular SEC game against a rival. And the Mario Moore winner against Oregon was a bigger buzzer beater from (roughly) that era to me.
I was at the Oregon buzzer beater game. I didn’t remember that it was an NIT game.
I'm pretty sure it was not, but I don't think the OP was implying that it was, just comparing that play to the NIT win over Wichita State.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

fldore wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:25 am I'd rather a loss in the NCAA tournament than any loss in the NIT even if the finals. But if told me we'd win the NIT vs losing in the first round (especially if it was in that pre first round in Dayton), I think I'd rather win the NIT.

But of course you'd never know the alternative. If we were a bubble team relegated to NIT, got hot at the right time and won the whole thing, I'd be left wondering if we had snuck into NCAA would we have also gotten hot and made a deep run there as well. So it may be a somewhat hollow victory. And in the end an NCAA bid is always better.
I agree with that - in hindsight the pain of losing in the first round is worse than a deep NIT run, but without hindsight I don't see how anyone would prefer getting to the NIT, even if it did result in getting to NYC (which is what I would define as a deep NIT run). The goal should always be to make the tournament.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Jason94 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:45 am
I agree with that - in hindsight the pain of losing in the first round is worse than a deep NIT run, but without hindsight I don't see how anyone would prefer getting to the NIT, even if it did result in getting to NYC (which is what I would define as a deep NIT run). The goal should always be to make the tournament.
That's what I'm saying. You AWAYS root to make the NCAAs off the bubble.

But the ride of a long NIT run is way more fan friendly than a 1st round NCAA beatdown (Siena) or a 1st round NCAA heartbreaker (Murray St)
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

At this point in our season I'd take either. Neither is likely (NIT yes, finals no). But to answer the question I say NCAA.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Nashmann wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:09 am NIT finals...more exposure...
I don't particularly agree with this at all, with all due respect. Getting your name called on selection sunday and having millions of people filling out brackets with your name on them? Versus a series of games that only diehard junkies or teams fans are checking in on?

The answer should always be NCAA's. And some of you cited experience-- I would rather a Vandy team get the experience of playing for the big trophy even for just a game, rather than multiple games in a tournament nobody really cares about. It's not dubbed the Nobody's Interested Tournament for nothin'.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Jason94 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:39 am
Obvious wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:00 am

I'm pretty sure it was not, but I don't think the OP was implying that it was, just comparing that play to the NIT win over Wichita State.
Yes. Exactly that.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

NIT run to the finals is more fun as a fan than a first round flame out. If you sneak into the tourney with low expectations though it can be good to be in. If you're really disappointed to be in the NIT then even a deep run won't knock off the stench of missing the NCAAT.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

How are y'all feeling about this question today? :)
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:31 pm How are y'all feeling about this question today? :)
No change. If I was given perfect knowledge of the future, I'd rather the long NIT run than a first round loss.

I don't have perfect knowledge of the future.

I would much rather have an NCAA bid (even if it came with a likely 1st round loss) than an NIT bid (even if it came with a likely long run), but the small chance of an NCAA win (or two ... or three ...) is so dramatically much better than anything the NIT can offer.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I would think that the team and the staff would prefer the NCAA, even the play-in game. Hence, NCAA for me too.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

baseball1234 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:00 pm For fun, would you prefer a tourney bid with a first round loss or to get snubbed (if we deserve to be in) and advance to NIT finals? I'll hang up and listen.
Not even a question. The NCAAs is where you want to be.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

Agree re ncaa. I am not sure the team is capable of a deep NiT run either. Post Liam was running on pure adrenaline. Better to get booted in the first round of the tourney than in the first few rounds of the NIT
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

buffy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:23 pm Losing in the first round of the NCAA always cut me deeper than winning a couple of games in the NIT before a lose. NCAA is certainly more exciting, but winning games is a lot of fun. I'd go NIT.
Revisiting this thread and sticking with the parameters of the ORIGINAL post, I think Buffy had it right. Didn't make the NIT finals BUT did have three fun NIT games in the friendly confines of Memorial that people enjoyed (except for the end of the UAB game of course) and provided hope for even more success next year. VU fans got to see great basketball, live, at $18 to $23 apiece, as opposed to watching the team lose someplace far away (again, look at the original post).

Keep hope alive, and on to baseball!
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Why the 1st round loss? It was not long ago when we beat NC St to make the sweet 16!
Locked Previous topicNext topic