Vanderbilt-Ole Miss thread

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Re: Vanderbilt-Ole Miss thread

Post by admin »

Vanderbilt wins 74-71

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

A nice win....team played hard. Nice to see Stack coach to win this game.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

we did outcoach them: starters, plays, substitutions and even timeouts
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Ole Mess coach brokered that foul begging before the play.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

commadore wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:27 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:25 pm I notice a big smile on Ty's face after that beautiful full court run for 2. He is a smiler.
That is why he didn't play against Alabama. Stack said he came into practice after a close loss smiling. Had nothing to smile about. I call that just petty.
I strongly suspect there was more to what Stack said than that Ty was smiling in practice. One can read between the lines and infer that he wasn’t taking practice seriously and Stack took issue.
Do you think Ty’s performance today had something to do with a mental reset? (I know Ole Miss isn’t one of the better SEC teams, but 18 points on 7-10 and 10 rebounds along with a ton of solid defensive and effort plays speaks volumes about how he responded to Stack’s tough love.)

Also, FWIW, in the post-game radio interview, Ty said he lost his father a few years ago and was grateful to have a Coach like Stack to serve as a father figure and hold him accountable.
Rumors of Stack losing the locker room are greatly exaggerated.
I like and respect the job Stack is doing to create a team that embodies toughness and work ethic.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Lawrence was playing well before his sit down .,...... I still have lost respect for Stack for planning the beat down for probable loss game.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Nashmann wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:31 pm Lawrence was playing well before his sit down .,...... I still have lost respect for Stack for planning the beat down for probable loss game.
I doubt Stack actually “planned a beat down.” All of that is being blown out of proportion. Bama would have mopped the floor with nearly any team in the country the way they came out motivated to play after their embarrassing weekend loss in the Big 12 challenge.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:20 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:25 pm I notice a big smile on Ty's face after that beautiful full court run for 2. He is a smiler.
That is why he didn't play against Alabama. Stack said he came into practice after a close loss smiling. Had nothing to smile about. I call that just petty.
I strongly suspect there was more to what Stack said than that Ty was smiling in practice. One can read between the lines and infer that he wasn’t taking practice seriously and Stack took issue.
Do you think Ty’s performance today had something to do with a mental reset? (I know Ole Miss isn’t one of the better SEC teams, but 18 points on 7-10 and 10 rebounds along with a ton of solid defensive and effort plays speaks volumes about how he responded to Stack’s tough love.)

Also, FWIW, in the post-game radio interview, Ty said he lost his father a few years ago and was grateful to have a Coach like Stack to serve as a father figure and hold him accountable.
I like and respect the job Stack is doing to create a team that embodies toughness and work ethic.
The tough love/father figure thing is only acceptable if the old bald guy in question is Caucasian and plays golf with Vince Gill.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:10 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:20 pm

The tough love/father figure thing is only acceptable if the old bald guy in question is Caucasian and plays golf with Vince Gill.
Don't be an ass.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Nashmann wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:31 pm Lawrence was playing well before his sit down .,...... I still have lost respect for Stack for planning the beat down for probable loss game.
Nash, he did not plan it. He said in post game oresser he was embarassed by it. Stack wants to win every game he is super competitive. Not sure why you think he planned it. He was honest in saying it was a "scheduled loss" because everyone knows Bama is a lot better than we are: that was reason for the poor choice of words, "planned loss". He meant it would have been a major surprise for us to win in Tuscaloosa. He was embarassed by our performance, and he said so was the team. There was no plan for purposeful beatdown - it happened.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:45 pm

I doubt Stack actually “planned a beat down.” All of that is being blown out of proportion. Bama would have mopped the floor with nearly any team in the country the way they came out motivated to play after their embarrassing weekend loss in the Big 12 challenge.
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

Poor semantics. Not a planned loss, no one expected the team to beat Alabama coming off a bad loss.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I suspect all of us would hate to be taken literally on every single thing we say or write. Slip-ups in language are inevitable. Of course, Stack did not tell team "this is a scheduled loss so don't do anything right - just see how bad we can lose - let's break the worst loss record tonight."
Versus75
Admiral

4TimeNationalChamps …

Post by Versus75 »

… are you still lingering here?

You seem to be involved with thoroughbred racing. I’ve learned that sometimes a horse is entered by a trainer planning to lose. I learned that after betting on a friend’s horse that came in dead last by several furlongs.

Later, my friend said, “You should have said something before the race. We just wanted a workout. We were planning to lose.”

A pro sports team may plan to lose to get a better draft choice the next year or for some other nefarious reason.
(See the movie “Major League.)

A boxer might throw a fight. Pro wrestlers know going in who’s going to loose.

But the ‘Dores did not plan to lose that game.
Locked Previous topicNext topic