Not about Stack

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandy5
Ensign

Not about Stack

Post by Vandy5 »

Don’t want to debate for or against Stack.

My question, given how this year likely ends. When was the last time Vandy basketball had a worse 6 straight years?

Does anyone outside of the 20 on this board even care?

Has Vandy basketball ever been more irrelevant?

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Re: Not about Stack

Post by alathIN »

It was pretty bad when I was a freshman in the early 80s.
The game was dominated by athletic 7 footers and Vanderbilt had a hard time recruiting them.

CM Newton knew the 3 point line was coming and he was ready. Having to defend the perimeter opened up the game for bigs like Will Perdue who didn't have to be massive and lightning quick - high hoops IQ counted for more because he could pass outside to an open shooter if the paint got too crowded. At the time, a big getting as many assists as Will did was considered shocking.

So my undergrad years saw VU in the depths and ended with VU in the sweet 16.
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

Vandy5 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:27 am Don’t want to debate for or against Stack.

My question, given how this year likely ends. When was the last time Vandy basketball had a worse 6 straight years?

Does anyone outside of the 20 on this board even care?

Has Vandy basketball ever been more irrelevant?
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... anderbilt/

From1934-35 to 1941-42 we had one winning season out of eight. Until 20-21 the last time we had four losing seasons in a row was 1944-45 to 1947-48.
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

Still time to turn things around. Upset on of top 25 teams remaining on the schedule and we are having a difficult conversation.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

alathIN wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:30 pm It was pretty bad when I was a freshman in the early 80s.
The game was dominated by athletic 7 footers and Vanderbilt had a hard time recruiting them.

CM Newton knew the 3 point line was coming and he was ready. Having to defend the perimeter opened up the game for bigs like Will Perdue who didn't have to be massive and lightning quick - high hoops IQ counted for more because he could pass outside to an open shooter if the paint got too crowded. At the time, a big getting as many assists as Will did was considered shocking.

So my undergrad years saw VU in the depths and ended with VU in the sweet 16.
I was a student back then, too (1980-84). But we still had some pretty good years interspersed with the not-so-good ones. We were pretty mediocre (at best) under Schmidt in '80-'81, but still a game above .500. CM had a couple of winning years with Schmidt's recruits at 15-13 and 19-14 with an NIT second-round appearance 1983. (The NCAA was still smaller back then, maybe just 48 teams. If it had been 64, we'd have definitely been a tournament team.) After that we had three straight losing seasons in '84-'86. But they weren't that bad--14-15, 11-17, and 13-15. And with that 1986 team you could see the flashes of something special, especially with our freshman Barrys (Booker and Goheen). But what I think none of us knew was that over the next 31 seasons (through 2017) we would have:

Only four seasons below .500 ('95 and '99 under VBK and '03 and '13 under CKS),
24 postseason appearances,
13 NCAA appearances, with a record of 10-13 and four Sweet 16s,
An SEC regular season title and an SEC tournament title,
6 All-Americans (count each of McCaffrey's years),
5 SEC PoYs,
7 First-round NBA draft picks (before '87 we'd only had two--Clyde Lee in '66 and Jeff Turner in '84).

I don't think anybody saw that coming. Maybe we didn't reach the heights of some of our rivals. But the consistent excellence was pretty amazing, when you think about it. So yeah, the last six years have been a real let-down by comparison. But I think we're growing as a program again. Your mileage may vary, of course...
Locked Previous topicNext topic