Starting lineup today may tell us a lot

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Starting lineup today may tell us a lot

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

It’s past time to start winning some games.

I would start, assuming attitude and focus are not a consideration:

Manjon
Lawrence
Robbins
Stute
Dia (I like his size, three-point shooting, defensive effect and long-term upside. If he’s not getting it done show some faith in Colin Smith!, who has some good upside also).

I would give these players the majority of the minutes, around 32 for most although Manjon can probably play more.

Sub for Manjon: Lewis
Sub for Lawrence: Thomas or Shelby, whoever is shooting well
Sub for Robbins: Millora-Brown (Dort if available)
Sub for Stute: Smith
Sub for Dia: Smith or maybe Ansong, but play the starters the most minutes by far. Forget everybody else. We’re trying to win here.

In other words, pick your five best players and ride them, subbing just enough so they don’t get too fatigued.

All 40 minutes count. We can’t afford non-scoring lineups, non-efficient players in games against SEC or other top opponents.

Do everything possible to WIN the game while staying true to some fundamental core principles. But play your best players the most minutes. Put pressure on the other team. Don’t have lineups out there with three or four guys who can’t score. That doesn’t work.

Go Dores!

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: Starting lineup today may tell us a lot

Post by Seadog73 »

Is Jordan still in concussion protocol?
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Seadog73 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:51 am Is Jordan still in concussion protocol?
According to coach earlier in the week, yes. That’s why I did not mention him.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Would be an interesting pre-game contest: pick the starting five.

My guess is Lewis, Lawrence (if he’s not out of the dog house we got real problems), Stute, QMB and Ansong
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Players who need more minutes - Lewis, Dia, Smith, Manjon

Players who need less minutes- Thomas, QMB
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Dickeys Nightmare wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:13 am It’s past time to start winning some games.

I would start, assuming attitude and focus are not a consideration:

Manjon
Lawrence
Robbins
Stute
Dia (I like his size, three-point shooting, defensive effect and long-term upside. If he’s not getting it done show some faith in Colin Smith!, who has some good upside also).

I would give these players the majority of the minutes, around 32 for most although Manjon can probably play more.

Sub for Manjon: Lewis
Sub for Lawrence: Thomas or Shelby, whoever is shooting well
Sub for Robbins: Millora-Brown (Dort if available)
Sub for Stute: Smith
Sub for Dia: Smith or maybe Ansong, but play the starters the most minutes by far. Forget everybody else. We’re trying to win here.

In other words, pick your five best players and ride them, subbing just enough so they don’t get too fatigued.

All 40 minutes count. We can’t afford non-scoring lineups, non-efficient players in games against SEC or other top opponents.

Do everything possible to WIN the game while staying true to some fundamental core principles. But play your best players the most minutes. Put pressure on the other team. Don’t have lineups out there with three or four guys who can’t score. That doesn’t work.

Go Dores!
Great post! I agree with what you suggest. PLAY TO WIN....no more "lessons".
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

VandyDores15 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:26 am Players who need more minutes - Lewis, Dia, Smith, Manjon

Serious question: do you think QMB deserved less than 14 minutes today after going 4-5 for 10 points and pulling 5 rebounds during that limited time?

I’d strongly encourage you to watch him exclusively while he’s on the floor next game. He does so many things that don’t show up on the stat sheet, including being the teams best screener and drawing charges very efficiently. QMB’s game is vastly underrated by many.
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

As coach stated post game, he went with the veterans and you see it paid off. Once Jordan comes out of protocol the rotation will be even stronger. You always tighten the rotation at the end of the season. Play your best 8 players.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

I did not anticipate Robbins and Millora-Brown starting together but I kind of like it. If Dort is available it makes even more sense.
I still like Dia’s game but sounds like Stack plans to go with veterans for the most part. He did play the primary players more minutes today which was good.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:35 pm
VandyDores15 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:26 am Players who need more minutes - Lewis, Dia, Smith, Manjon

Serious question: do you think QMB deserved less than 14 minutes today after going 4-5 for 10 points and pulling 5 rebounds during that limited time?

I’d strongly encourage you to watch him exclusively while he’s on the floor next game. He does so many things that don’t show up on the stat sheet, including being the teams best screener and drawing charges very efficiently. QMB’s game is vastly underrated by many.
The fact Thomas/QMB are our best options is why we’re 11-12. QMB did play well today, hope it continue but he’s had an average year overall and Ole Miss is a bad team team at this point in season. 1-9 in SEC with hardly any close games.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

volemtine wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:42 pm As coach stated post game, he went with the veterans and you see it paid off. Once Jordan comes out of protocol the rotation will be even stronger. You always tighten the rotation at the end of the season. Play your best 8 players.
Let’s be careful overreacting, Ole Miss is 9-14 (1-9) and has had a very rough stretch in 2023. This is a bad team. I agree the rotation tightening is a good thing but I worry we focus on older guys rest of season, miss both tournaments and have some unhappy underclassman who decide to leave (on top of Robbins exit). Leading to a 23/24 roster that again isn’t talented enough to make tourney.

But you have to play to win, so it is what it is. Unfortunately, our resume is so poor after non-conference that we need wins against Tennessee, Kentucky and Florida to become remotely relevant this season. “Feel good” wins against Ole Miss, South Carolina and UGA do nothing.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I like the lineup we had today, except if Wright is available I would play him as the off guard instead of Thomas.

Trey does a lot of good things for us:
Best free throw shooter (in limited action) @ 12-13
2nd lowest turnover rate (to Ansong) of any player with 10+ minutes per game despite handling the ball quite a bit
He is a good rebounder for his size ... two 5-rebound games, 1 with 4 rebounds, 4 games with 3 boards

But he is a streak shooter and if he is not on I would rather see him on the bench.

Probably split PG time with Manjon and Lewis as was the case Saturday. To give both MORE minutes would be for them to play together. I would rather not at this point.

As for the Twin Towers: Whether they start together may be according to matchups. But one key stat today is that QMB and Liam combined for only TWO PERSONAL FOULS1 And the first was not until 1:28 remaining in the game.
They can make a great combo if they stay out of foul trouble. And the refs seem to swallow their whistles in some games.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Versus75 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:19 pm I like the lineup we had today, except if Wright is available I would play him as the off guard instead of Thomas.

Trey does a lot of good things for us:
Best free throw shooter (in limited action) @ 12-13
2nd lowest turnover rate (to Ansong) of any player with 10+ minutes per game despite handling the ball quite a bit
He is a good rebounder for his size ... two 5-rebound games, 1 with 4 rebounds, 4 games with 3 boards

But he is a streak shooter and if he is not on I would rather see him on the bench.
Versus, I agree 100% with this assessment of Trey. I’ve been higher on him than most, I believe. When is his shot is “on” he absolutely deserves significant minutes in a game. You also pointed out other strengths. I noted his low turnover rate a few days back. But yes, the lineup/minutes you suggest definitely make sense when those players are available and foul trouble isn’t a factor. I’d also throw out that he makes a good O/D sub late in tight games when an opponent may intentionally foul (like yesterday) to extend a game late.
(Assuming, of course, that the refs don’t swallow their whistles when he gets mugged by multiple players…)
Locked Previous topicNext topic