FWIW: Lee supports our coach

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

FWIW: Lee supports our coach

Post by charlestonalum »

In this morning's Tennessean : "Vanderbilt athletics director Candice Lee expressed confidence in basketball coach Jerry Stackhouse in an interview with The Tennessean on Thursday.

"You can be confident in someone and you can be confident in a program and still have high expectations and hold yourself and the program to a high standard," Lee said. "You can be confident and still be frustrated that you're losing. I think coach Stackhouse and I share that sentiment, but we believe but we share it together. And I also understand that he is building a program both for now and the future. I do have confidence in that. I think there are a number of things that we can have to continue to work on and there are no shortcuts here."

Obviously, all the complaining is getting the attention of the AD who supports her coach (that she did not appoint.)

BEAT OLE MISS, please - and have some fun.

Doreknox
Admiral

Re: FWIW: Lee supports our coach

Post by Doreknox »

The dreaded vote of confidence for a beleaguered coach. I predict CSL will continue to be confident in Stackhouse until she is told to fire him.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Doreknox wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:13 am The dreaded vote of confidence for a beleaguered coach. I predict CSL will continue to be confident in Stackhouse until she is told to fire him.
I think this is a little uncharitable to CSL.
Of course no AD is going to fire a coach without agreement from the chancellor.
At Vanderbilt the power balance is shifted way more to the chancellor than the AD. Of course at schools like UT and Auburn that power balance is shifted heavily the other way.
But this isn't some unique weakness of CSL. This is endemic to Vanderbilt.

The positive thing now is we have a chancellor who thinks athletics is important. In this respect CSL has an advantage over her predecessors. If Diermeier has lower tolerance for poor athletics than previous VU chancellors, that's a positive of Diermeier, not a negative of CSL.

I do agree, this should not be read as an ironclad statement of Stackhouse's job security. It's a tactical move that all AD's do when their coach is struggling. It may help turn down the heat a little so Stack can focus on his job rather than the chatter. But if the CJS regime continues to crumble, this statement won't save his job.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

A vote of confidence....he's history!
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

alathIN wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:40 am
Doreknox wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:13 am The dreaded vote of confidence for a beleaguered coach. I predict CSL will continue to be confident in Stackhouse until she is told to fire him.
I think this is a little uncharitable to CSL.
Of course no AD is going to fire a coach without agreement from the chancellor.
At Vanderbilt the power balance is shifted way more to the chancellor than the AD. Of course at schools like UT and Auburn that power balance is shifted heavily the other way.
But this isn't some unique weakness of CSL. This is endemic to Vanderbilt.

The positive thing now is we have a chancellor who thinks athletics is important. In this respect CSL has an advantage over her predecessors. If Diermeier has lower tolerance for poor athletics than previous VU chancellors, that's a positive of Diermeier, not a negative of CSL.

I do agree, this should not be read as an ironclad statement of Stackhouse's job security. It's a tactical move that all AD's do when their coach is struggling. It may help turn down the heat a little so Stack can focus on his job rather than the chatter. But if the CJS regime continues to crumble, this statement won't save his job.
Well stated and valid assessment.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

CSL’s words are meaningless to me. Her comments after the coach Jackson situation (we have not forgotten that he’s still on staff) were inexcusable then and still are today.
Locked Previous topicNext topic