Shan Foster's take on the situation via Twitter

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Shan Foster's take on the situation via Twitter

Post by underdog74 »

Shan Foster
@shanfoster_32

Can someone do the research on public scrutiny in coaching? I’d love to see the data aggregated by race. For example, what was the public opinion about Roy Williams vs Hubert Davis during periods with similar records. Asking for a friend.

fldore
Vice Admiral

Re: Shan Foster's take on the situation via Twitter

Post by fldore »

Thats not helpful
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

it may not be helpful, but telling... We tolerate CKS for 8 or so years, but some people have the torches out right now for the "arrogant" Stackhouse. Be careful, my friends, the world is watching and listening... To be clear, I do not believe we are dealing with overt racism, just unhappy fans, but what we think and what others think can be very different. We did pull the plug quickly on our last coach so there is that.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I think it's strange that the margin of defeat is what's driving this fire the coach discussion. A loss is a loss is a loss.

I suppose everyone would feel better about losing by 15-20 points. What difference does it make? Alabama could have beaten just about anyone with that performance.

What's important is that everyone on the team, including CJS, move on and not let it beat them on Saturday. I suspect a lot of posters and "fans" are hoping for a tanking of the season.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Had social media existed in 2003, the reaction would have been exactly the same for Kevin Stallings' 62 point loss to Kentucky.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:26 pm Had social media existed in 2003, the reaction would have been exactly the same for Kevin Stallings' 62 point loss to Kentucky.
I'd argue it would have been much worse, because more people actually were invested in the program. A much larger issue is the fact that people AREN'T up in arms over what is going on (and I'm of the opinion that CJS should be back for next season) as most aren't as conservative as I am about approaching coaching changes. This is not a reason to make a change, but note that pretty much everything that has occurred since the 2017 season has served to diminish interest in the program.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

charlestonalum wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:39 pm it may not be helpful, but telling... We tolerate CKS for 8 or so years, but some people have the torches out right now for the "arrogant" Stackhouse. Be careful, my friends, the world is watching and listening... To be clear, I do not believe we are dealing with overt racism, just unhappy fans, but what we think and what others think can be very different. We did pull the plug quickly on our last coach so there is that.
Tolerate a pair of Sweet 16 appearances? What are you talking about? CKS was given one more season after 2003 and had he not made the tournament he would have been fired.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Jason94 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:48 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:39 pm it may not be helpful, but telling... We tolerate CKS for 8 or so years, but some people have the torches out right now for the "arrogant" Stackhouse. Be careful, my friends, the world is watching and listening... To be clear, I do not believe we are dealing with overt racism, just unhappy fans, but what we think and what others think can be very different. We did pull the plug quickly on our last coach so there is that.
Tolerate a pair of Sweet 16 appearances? What are you talking about? CKS was given one more season after 2003 and had he not made the tournament he would have been fired.
Seriously, Stalling made tourney 7 times at Vandy so this is a bad comparison. Could Stack get one more year and make similar run? Maybe, but seems unlikely given roster makeup and outlook for recruiting/transfer portal losses.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Shan deserves his opinion, but I think there's nothing to see here. For all of his lack of success and roster issues, people have been relatively easy on Stack. I witnessed far worse vitriol for Stallings and Drew on here than Stack's ever gotten. He's been deserving of everything that's come his way.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

charlestonalum wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:39 pm...We tolerate CKS for 8 or so years...
I'm sorry. Not trying to cause a problem. I know you know Kevin was here for 17. Are you saying the last 8? Thanks.
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

The scrutiny and criticism must be balanced. The football coach lost by 50+ 3x this season and I’m not sure he has faced such an outcry…
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Lea didn't just sit back and let it happen. It wasn't in his plan to start and substitute walkons by choice to prove a point to his team!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

Nashmann,
You have 100 kids on a football team vs 16. You can’t compare the two when it comes to who starts. In fact the team was winning when the walk-on was playing. Everything went to pot when the regular players got in.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

volemtine wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:04 pm Nashmann,
You have 100 kids on a football team vs 16. You can’t compare the two when it comes to who starts. In fact the team was winning when the walk-on was playing. Everything went to pot when the regular players got in.
Correlation does not equal causation.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

volemtine wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:04 pm Nashmann,
You're missing the point. Stack knew that this was most likely going to be a loss so he helped the dumpster fire along. Sitting back and doing nothing to prove a point. That to me was a gross dereliction of his job. One thing to lose but another to basically sabotage the game to embarrass the players but what he did, embarrassed the school....and program.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

Have the torches out??? The world is watching???

Give me a break! This is insane.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VUPKS wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:44 pm
Have the torches out??? The world is watching???

Give me a break! This is insane.
If we fired our coach as a number of posters have written they want, the sportsworld (agreed not the whole world) would raise eyebrows and a number would be highly critical of Vanderbilt and in particular an AD who just gave an extension. Yes, a number of people are campaiging for the removal. It's not insane other than we live in an insane world, which just might be true, I agree.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I don't think racism is the primary driver here, but I don't have a hard time believing it's a factor for some people. Even when he was hired there were rumblings about "affirmative action hire."
I went to Vanderbilt in the 80s and saw a fair amount of overt racism from my peers. It was not the majority of the Vanderbilt community, but it was certainly an element. Do we really think that has been completely eradicated?

I think we was white people can have a blind spot about this. "I'm not racist, so racism isn't a thing any more."
A black doctor I work with can't go for a run in his own neighborhood without someone calling the police about "a black man running away." He's literally been stopped by police for running in his own neighborhood.

Personally I have years of respect for Shan Foster. If he thinks this is an element of the situation, I do not have grounds to say he's a hypersensitive drama queen who's making it all up. Since when, on this board, do we say "Shan Foster's opinion can be summarily dismissed."?
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Doreknox wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:46 pm Shan deserves his opinion, but I think there's nothing to see here. For all of his lack of success and roster issues, people have been relatively easy on Stack. I witnessed far worse vitriol for Stallings and Drew on here than Stack's ever gotten. He's been deserving of everything that's come his way.
Agree/disagree.

Stack certainly has not endeared himself to the fan base. He has made some totally unnecessary attacks toward fans and his media statements have been, charitably, not well considered. That would be tolerated if his tenure was an unqualified success. When we're in a rough patch, it becomes a self-inflicted wound on his part.

But I would not just summarily dismiss Shan Foster's take as the delusional rantings of a race baiter. It is just remotely possible, maybe, that he has seen and heard things we don't know about. If he says this is part of the picture, he's earned enough respect to seriously consider his opinion.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

alathIN wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:54 am I don't think racism is the primary driver here, but I don't have a hard time believing it's a factor for some people. Even when he was hired there were rumblings about "affirmative action hire."
Ever looked at the "rivals" forum? Some of those posters are a notch away from being cross burners.

There was actually a poster on THIS forum that called the James Franklin hire the same thing and demanded that David Williams be immediately terminated and permanently banned from McGugin Center.
Locked Previous topicNext topic