CJS talks about benching players in Tuesday's loss

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

CJS talks about benching players in Tuesday's loss

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

And included is one eye-catching quote that I'm sure was said in jest, but has riled up a few people:

[tweet] [/tweet]

Here's the full context of the quote:

[tweet][/tweet]

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: CJS talks about benching players in Tuesday's loss

Post by Nashmann »

This is bs!!!! So he sat there and did nothing to stop the embarrassment of such a loss and purposely let them lose!!! Even starting a walk-on to insure a beat down to prove a point? Fire able offense!!! This really is low.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:10 pm And included is one eye-catching quote that I'm sure was said in jest, but has riled up a few people:

[tweet] [/tweet]

Here's the full context of the quote:

[tweet][/tweet]
truly exceptional coaching strategy, no?
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

"I can be the bigger a$$hole if I need to be"

I think that's the statement of the year.

But it wasn't in the tweet video albeit a few seconds after. I really can't believe it he really wants to get fired for cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mXrCx9Jto
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

I hate losing but I respect him for sticking to his guns. If he’s legitimately trying to do this long term he can’t compromise and let kids do what they want. He’s responsible for this program. He’s earned my respect and some more time. I don’t mind being in the minority. I’m a coach and I know the consequences of not holding people accountable.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Thus the phrase "scheduled loss" enters the humiliating vernacular of the Vanderbilt sports fan.

You think what's left of the Vanderbilt athletic department will start telling fans in advance from now on when a game is a scheduled loss?
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

I don't disagree with Stackhouse sticking to his guns and holding his players accountable, as a coach you have to hold your players to the standard. I highly disagree with him using the term "scheduled loss" in describing it though and I think that was a bad look. I think one can be disappointed in the results as most of us are while being ok with Stack trying to hold his players accountable. If he doesn't hold his players accountable its for sure not going to work out for him in the long run. I have zero clue what is going on at practice as most of us don't as well so that's for him to judge and make decisions off of.

I am not happy with the results, and if it doesn't get better Stack will be held accountable and let go which very well is warranted if it doesn't and right now it's not looking great. I do applaud him for trying to hold his players to a standard though, I just don't thing you can call a game a scheduled loss to the public and expect it to go over very well.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

It’s fitting that he’s bequeathed himself the title of benevolent dictator…”Commodore” Cornelius approves!
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

So CJS saw this game as a loss no matter who played, so he decided to bench some starters because he didn’t think they played hard enough at Texas A&M or whatever reason.

That explains why he didn’t get animated in the game when the team was getting its doors blown off early on. I didn’t see CJS yelling at the refs or calling timeout to stop the bleeding like coaches usually do when they’re being blown out.

We used to beat top five teams every so often. Now they’re “automatic losses.”
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

FWIW (not much), I'm guessing that he regrets uttering the phrase "scheduled loss." Sometimes when you're on the spot like that, more or less ad libbing, you know later that you could have put things differently.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Stack is fast becoming a walking PR nightmare. To me. he's coaching and speaking like someone who just had his contract extended. Makes me wonder if he would have employed the same "scheduled loss" strategy if he was still fighting for that extension.

I hope CSL has an updated list of coaching prospects and their agents on speed dial.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:58 pm Stack is fast becoming a walking PR nightmare. To me. he's coaching and speaking like someone who just had his contract extended. Makes me wonder if he would have employed the same "scheduled loss" strategy if he was still fighting for that extension.

I hope CSL has an updated list of coaching prospects and their agents on speed dial.
As if a man with 70million $$ even needs the job? Or was "fighting" for an extension."

I don't really care if he is here next season. Don't care either way. We deserve to lose him and will probably lose a bunch of players...like the incoming class who will then be free to go wherever they want.

Then another rebuild.

But tracking the Ingram jet every day will be fun. I guess.
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Best sports movie ever made. Hands down. Period.

That quote is even more applicable for college ball. You can't have 18 year olds vs a grown man coaching who was an NBA all-star and first team D-1 all-american and the kids act like they are in middle school razzing the substitute teacher.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

For letting this all play out on purpose from the beginning....his plan? I lost a ton of respect for the man. Maybe he survives maybe not. Will see how they play tomorrow. Disgusted.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Sometimes getting your ass kicked is a great motivator. If he wants to get his point across and they still won’t listen then I don’t blame him for letting them think they can go do it on their own. They saw the result. They were embarrassed. Now it’s over and done with. Time to see what coach and this team is made of.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

My father was a long time coach at a local Nashville HS and he had this exact same attitude. It was the my way or the highway approach and I witnessed it backfire a few times but over the course of his 26 years in coaching, he was pretty successful and was inducted in the Metro Basketball HOF. It's not the way that I would do it but as utahozzie stated you can't let the kids do what they want.
Locked Previous topicNext topic