Thomas- Shelby

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Thomas- Shelby

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Shelby sets there watches Thomas play 18:42 minutes. 1-11 (1-10) from three. No rebounds,no defense. I never thought i would see this again.Days of Richard S.(whatever). Put Charlie Davis,Hutch Jones and Mike Rhodes on the bench.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Thomas- Shelby

Post by commadore »

Comparing Shelby, Dort, and Lewis to Davis, Rhodes, and Jones is like comparing Hitler, Stalin, and the Emperor Hirohito to to Mr Rogers, Captain Kangeroo, and Rin Tin Tin.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Thomas can’t play defense and shooting only 31% from 3pt. If a guy like him is logging the 5th most minutes in year 4, there’s nothing else to say.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VandyDores15 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:51 am Thomas can’t play defense and shooting only 31% from 3pt. If a guy like him is logging the 5th most minutes in year 4, there’s nothing else to say.
you could say he is not a turnover machine.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Lewis can really handle the ball well and run the offense. Shelby does not handle the ball well and just stands around the 3-point line doing nothing. he has to add defense to his game also. Thomas still shows more to his game. We don't see what happens in practice. Yes, maybe Shelby needs more experience in real games but if he is weak in all areas but shooting can explain his lack of minutes. I think Stack would be happy to replace Thomas if he could.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Nashmann wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:08 am Lewis can really handle the ball well and run the offense. Shelby does not handle the ball well and just stands around the 3-point line doing nothing. he has to add defense to his game also. Thomas still shows more to his game. We don't see what happens in practice. Yes, maybe Shelby needs more experience in real games but if he is weak in all areas but shooting can explain his lack of minutes. I think Stack would be happy to replace Thomas if he could.
That’s on Jerry for not developing guards, to be stuck with Trey Thomas getting starter type minutes in year 4, is exactly why we are 10-12 and miles away from tournament conversation with multiple embarrassing losses. Lewis /Manjon/Lawrence should be playing the most minutes right now at guard, don’t care if two of them are PGs. Our best players aren’t playing enough minutes in certain spots.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:10 am
VandyDores15 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:51 am Thomas can’t play defense and shooting only 31% from 3pt. If a guy like him is logging the 5th most minutes in year 4, there’s nothing else to say.
you could say he is not a turnover machine.
That is damning with faint praise. I give Thomas a ton of credit for maximizing his talent and not embarrasing himself (for the most part) when playing every game against a taller, stronger and more athletic opponent. it shows a ton of heart on his part that he hasn't lost his confidence against much stronger competition.

But it is 100% on CJS that he feels he has to play Thomas so many minutes given that it was obvious that he was going to need more guards at the beginning of last season even assuming he didn't know that Pippen wasn't going to play his senior season. But the second he knew that Pippen was gone he absolutely needed more talent at guard and had to know that he was going to struggle to compete with Thomas playing extended minutes. And if he didn't know that, then I would question his evaluation skills.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

Jerry alluded to younger players not being bought in to what they’re doing which is why they aren’t playing. I hate losing but it’s hard for me to fault Jerry for sticking to his guns on stuff like that. As a coach, i respect that.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

utahozzie wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:15 pm Jerry alluded to younger players not being bought in to what they’re doing which is why they aren’t playing. I hate losing but it’s hard for me to fault Jerry for sticking to his guns on stuff like that. As a coach, i respect that.
If you’re having trouble motivating guys you recruited in year 4 and progress to starting a walk-on to “prove a point” against the #2 team in NCAA, I find it very difficult to “not find fault” in CJS. This team has too much talent to be 10-12 with no hope of a tournament bid by late January.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I have to admit when I saw the title of this thread Thomas-Shelby, I immediately thought "by order of the Peaky Blinders." Ha!
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:47 pm
But it is 100% on CJS that he feels he has to play Thomas so many minutes given that it was obvious that he was going to need more guards at the beginning of last season even assuming he didn't know that Pippen wasn't going to play his senior season. But the second he knew that Pippen was gone he absolutely needed more talent at guard and had to know that he was going to struggle to compete with Thomas playing extended minutes. And if he didn't know that, then I would question his evaluation skills.
I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with his evaluation skills. He knew he needed a point guard and he signed Manjon (who I believe has done an exceptional job running the point), Lewis and Shelby! Shelby has not developed to CJS’s liking, on defense or ball control, and sometimes players have to change their whole mindset about their game when they get to college…..it’s much more than just shooting and scoring! Lewis looks much better than when I saw him play in Europe, but I’m sure he has missed a lot of practice with hIs injuries. Not many players can handle the point guard position on a P5 team coming out of high school. I don’t know how good the Frosh from last year would have developed, but If they had stayed, we wouldn’t have signed Lewis or maybe Manjon.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:31 pm
Jason94 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:47 pm
I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with his evaluation skills. He knew he needed a point guard and he signed Manjon (who I believe has done an exceptional job running the point), Lewis and Shelby! Shelby has not developed to CJS’s liking, on defense or ball control, and sometimes players have to change their whole mindset about their game when they get to college…..it’s much more than just shooting and scoring! Lewis looks much better than when I saw him play in Europe, but I’m sure he has missed a lot of practice with hIs injuries. Not many players can handle the point guard position on a P5 team coming out of high school. I don’t know how good the Frosh from last year would have developed, but If they had stayed, we wouldn’t have signed Lewis or maybe Manjon.
He didn't just need a point guard, he needed a pair of point guards as well as a player who could score and a reliable backup point guard. Manjon took care of that, but if he had taken care of the latter two things he wouldn't be playing Thomas over 20 minutes a game. I challenge you to name a single team in tournament contention where Thomas would get over 20 mpg. He will have his moments and follow it up with a donut. He's had two years to figure out what to do at SG and PG and his answer is over 20 mpg of Thomas.

Here is a list of the guards CJS has recruited: Thomas, McBride, Lawrence, Chatman, DeZonie, Daniels, Manjon, Lewis and Shelby. Id suggest that this list does suggest there is something wrong with CJS' evaluation skills, or at the very least how tuned in he is to what kind of players will succeed in SEC play.
Locked Previous topicNext topic