How Much Longer

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

janvandy66
Ensign

How Much Longer

Post by janvandy66 »

How much longer are we going to put up with this terrible coaching and team play. Is there no end in sight? This was a total beatdown in every way!!!!

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Re: How Much Longer

Post by dallasdore »

Yeah, I'm at that point as well.

We need a real college coach, not a developmental league coach who sits and watches.

I have really believed ADCSL will become one of the best things to happen to Vandy sports, and I still believe that. However, the extension she gave to Stackhouse is very, very costly. It is a huge black eye on an otherwise excellent first couple years on the job.

Anyone know what the buyout might look like? Is there any chance Stackhouse might get tired of this and jump ship back to the NBA, or is he going to be stubborn and make Vandy fire him? Just questions.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

“How Long?”,”Not long”…. So said Martin.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

I’m going to extend grace for Saturday. Let’s see how this team rebounds from this…That will be coaching.
alwaysvu
Captain

Post by alwaysvu »

After 4 years this is what we end up with I think it's the time for change
Laker42
Ensign

Post by Laker42 »

I want it to work, but mannn. Im starting to become a non-believer.

Also. Look at Drew Maddux's likes on Twitter. Interesting

I still wonder what he could do with the keys.

Too late in the game to recruit for next year. Give Stack 1 more, and he has to to be above .500 in league
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

Do you all really think shooting 25% for the game from 2-point and 10% from 3-point reflects coaching? No one in the country beats Alabama last night the way they played. I'd like to say that you can shift into a "play for pride" mentality, but that's easier said from my couch than from the court. Alabama shot 59% from 2 and 46% from 3. Well beyond their season average. They had a fire in them after losing to OK and we were the recipients of a thumping by the league's best team (country's best team?).

Of most concern to me is the benching of Lawrence and what that means. I hope it leads to a big response going forward.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

Of course it's coaching. If not on-the-floor coaching, or practice coaching, then recruiting coaching.

Bottom line, the buck stops at the head coach's desk. As far as I'm concerned, the buck should boot out the current coach and try, try again. Time to start looking, Candace.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

PeteFox wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:25 am Of course it's coaching. If not on-the-floor coaching, or practice coaching, then recruiting coaching.

Bottom line, the buck stops at the head coach's desk. As far as I'm concerned, the buck should boot out the current coach and try, try again. Time to start looking, Candace.
Pete, you are a long time follower of VU athletics, how much of our problems are related to Vanderbilt and its academic requirements, admissions, previous administrations' apathy etc. Do we think that changing coaches is any more than rearranging the chairs on our good ship: - seriously - how long has it been, if ever in the past 50 years, has Vanderbilt been a regular contender for conference or national titles in football and basketball? There are very real barriers to success at Vanderbilt that have absolutely nothing to do with the coach. I think Stack deserves more time since he was brought in by Vanderbilt unequipped to evaluate and recruit to college. He is learning, but the question remains will he be allowed to bring in the kind of athletes that it takes to be a top level SEC team. Meanwhile, we are not the bottom of the SEC and that, friends, is because we have coached and recruited well enough to stay out the cellar.
Charlie Nickens
Ensign

Post by Charlie Nickens »

Come on. Vanderbilt's academics don't explain away losing by 57 to Alabama. Other teams in the league have players go to class, as well. Not every Vandy player has a 4.3 majoring in Astro-Physics and not ever other SEC teams' players have GEDs majoring in shop. Riding this "we're the smartest in the world" horse might explain away not winning SEC titles in football or Final Fours in basketball, but this is pathetic. Stackhouse was a bad hire in the first place. While he seemed to make some strides last year, he has produced an absolute uninspired,horrible team this year.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Vandamnit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:08 am Do you all really think shooting 25% for the game from 2-point and 10% from 3-point reflects coaching? No one in the country beats Alabama last night the way they played. I'd like to say that you can shift into a "play for pride" mentality, but that's easier said from my couch than from the court. Alabama shot 59% from 2 and 46% from 3. Well beyond their season average. They had a fire in them after losing to OK and we were the recipients of a thumping by the league's best team (country's best team?).

Of most concern to me is the benching of Lawrence and what that means. I hope it leads to a big response going forward.
I do think it reflects coaching to some extent. A shooting % as low as this looks like a team that is not focused on the game. These are stellar athletes, their talent level should yield better than something this deplorable. Can't help but be concerned about problems in the locker room / practice gym.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Because of the contract extension, I'd say we have 1-2 more seasons of this $hit to endure. I hope Diermeier gives the order to move on in a few weeks, but this fanbase is just not that lucky.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:42 am
PeteFox wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:25 am Of course it's coaching. If not on-the-floor coaching, or practice coaching, then recruiting coaching.

Pete, you are a long time follower of VU athletics, how much of our problems are related to Vanderbilt and its academic requirements, admissions, previous administrations' apathy etc. Do we think that changing coaches is any more than rearranging the chairs on our good ship: - seriously - how long has it been, if ever in the past 50 years, has Vanderbilt been a regular contender for conference or national titles in football and basketball? There are very real barriers to success at Vanderbilt that have absolutely nothing to do with the coach. I think Stack deserves more time since he was brought in by Vanderbilt unequipped to evaluate and recruit to college. He is learning, but the question remains will he be allowed to bring in the kind of athletes that it takes to be a top level SEC team. Meanwhile, we are not the bottom of the SEC and that, friends, is because we have coached and recruited well enough to stay out the cellar.
I agree that from the top of the heap on down, VU really has no chance to aspire to "elite" status in BB and FB. We didn't cheat before, and we probably will not now follow the path of the new "no rules" landscape that is now emerging.
Nevertheless, Stack has had 4 years to recruit "his" team and get them to play "his" game. That is surely, surely, enough time to prevent a 55 point loss. It appears to me that he has already thrown in the towel, and is just daring the administration to fire him, so he laugh all the way to the bank, as so many others have done.

I'll settle for some new deck chairs, myself. That way I can delude myself that there is at least a chance things will improve.
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

Nate Oates was the head coach for the University of Buffalo before he came to Alabama. His Buffalo team soundly beat 4-seed Arizona in the NCAA tournament before Ala hired him. Kevin Stallings and Eddie Fogler both had success coaching at a smaller conference school before their hires.

Maybe we should try to do it again.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

I never thought I would see the day when our best claim is “we are not the bottom of the SEC and that is because we have coached and recruited well enough”. Football, maybe, but Basketball ? Have the expectations and apathy really fallen that far ?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

PeteFox wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:07 pm

I agree that from the top of the heap on down, VU really has no chance to aspire to "elite" status in BB and FB. We didn't cheat before, and we probably will not now follow the path of the new "no rules" landscape that is now emerging.
Nevertheless, Stack has had 4 years to recruit "his" team and get them to play "his" game. That is surely, surely, enough time to prevent a 55 point loss. It appears to me that he has already thrown in the towel, and is just daring the administration to fire him, so he laugh all the way to the bank, as so many others have done.

I'll settle for some new deck chairs, myself. That way I can delude myself that there is at least a chance things will improve.
Money is not that plentiful that we can get new deck chairs every 4-5 years: they cost real money.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

A32Win wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:19 pm Nate Oates was the head coach for the University of Buffalo before he came to Alabama. His Buffalo team soundly beat 4-seed Arizona in the NCAA tournament before Ala hired him. Kevin Stallings and Eddie Fogler both had success coaching at a smaller conference school before their hires.

Maybe we should try to do it again.
Rob Senderoff (age 49) is one to keep on eye on... except he got a 2 year show-cause under Kelvin Sampson while an assistant at Indiana 16 years ago. He's been squeaky clean ever since...to my knowledge. His record as a mid-major head coach is 237–144 (.622) at a school not known for basketball. Or sports. His team did beat ours the night Garland got injured.

Dusty May at FAU. (age? not sure? Might be around 45-ish?) Current record is 21-1, ranked #19 in the nation. May was retained as an assistant at Louisiana Tech when Mike White took over the program entering the 2011-12 season, and the Bulldogs won three straight conference championships – the Western Athletic Conference title in 2013 and C-USA crowns in 2014 and 2015.

May served six seasons (2009-15) as assistant coach and associate head coach at Louisiana Tech. In his final season with the Bulldogs, the team went 27-9, including 15-3 in C-USA to win the regular season championship by two games, and went 17-0 on its home court. LA Tech won 49 of 50 home games from February 2012 through the end of the 2014-15 season.

Patrick Kelsey (age 47) is the current head men's basketball coach at the College of Charleston. Record 38–17 at CofC (.691) and was an associate head coach at Wake. Also 186–95 (.662) as HC at Winthrop.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I could definitely live with any of those, although what is May doing now?

Edit: I see he is at FAU. What is his recent track record?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

dallasdore wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:13 pm

Edit: I see he is at FAU. What is his recent track record?

Current record is 21-1, ranked #19
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Stack is a smart guy. He clearly knows the game, but unfortunately he's seen the world through NBA glasses. He simply discounted the difficulty in recruiting a roster like he wanted to Vanderbilt. Take Texas for instance, they also don't have a bunch of shooters, but they can hammer you into the ground defensively with athletes. CJS has spent 4 years thinking he could do that at Vanderbilt. And if he was a stud recruiter coming out the gate, maybe we have that. But that didn't happen. And now, just like CBD, he doesn't have a backup plan. He's just trying to do the best he can with the bed he made. If after two recruiting cycles, he would have figured out this reality, he could have started to shape a ballhandler / long shooter heavy roster to try to outscore opponents, ala CKS. My question is, where the heck were his mentors on the front end when he was taking a college job. My gut says there was a lot of arrogance on CJS' part of how things were gonna go down.

Like most of you, I'd give him this next year. I still don't think he gets it. Look at this. Here's what he had to say about our most recent class of signees:

Isaiah West: 6’2”, 190 lbs., Guard - "We are excited about the versatility, toughness and athleticism he will bring to our perimeter group"
NEED: I need a guy that can absolutely handle the rock, see the floor and move his feet. Isaiah may be that, but being athletic doesn't mean you can move laterally. Being tough is awesome, but only when it means he can keep his handle or push through a screen.

Carter Land: 6’9”, 245 lbs., Forward - "his passing and ball-handling skills for his position are a great fit for our style of play"
NEED: His passing and ball-handling could be the cherry on top, but can the big man impact a dribble drive and get boards? If not, what are we doing?

JaQualon “JQ” Roberts: 6’8”, 210 lbs., Forward - "He has athleticism, skill and the positional size to allow him to play both inside and out"
NEED: I need him to be able to fill it up from three. I don't need athleticism. I need buckets from three. Athleticism and length are a bonus.

It sounds like he's still trying to put together an athletic squad to defend his way to greatness. Except, these are probably middle of the road athletes.
Locked Previous topicNext topic