How bad was it?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

How bad was it?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Even worse than I thought.

[tweet][/tweet]

utahozzie
Commander

Re: How bad was it?

Post by utahozzie »

Ty Lawrence just got blasted for not being serious. Says he’s rooting out guys who aren’t committed. Referred to young guys not buying in either which explains why Shelby isn’t playing.

I can be frustrated with stack but respect his willingness to stick to his laurels if guys aren’t bought in. Losing the battle to win the war…
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Wasn't there a TV commercial a ways back with a tag line that went something like: "Boy, I sure did pick a bad night to give up drinking".
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

geeznotagain wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:34 pm Wasn't there a TV commercial a ways back with a tag line that went something like: "Boy, I sure did pick a bad night to give up drinking".
The classic movie Airplane...

VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

utahozzie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:30 pm Ty Lawrence just got blasted for not being serious. Says he’s rooting out guys who aren’t committed. Referred to young guys not buying in either which explains why Shelby isn’t playing.

I can be frustrated with stack but respect his willingness to stick to his laurels if guys aren’t bought in. Losing the battle to win the war…
Or maybe it truly is a coaching issue that multiple guys aren’t buying into your program and your team is miles away from the NCAA tournament in Year 4….
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

utahozzie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:30 pm Ty Lawrence just got blasted for not being serious. Says he’s rooting out guys who aren’t committed. Referred to young guys not buying in either which explains why Shelby isn’t playing.

Ironic that this is exactly what CKS did but was blasted for throwing players under the bus. I'm a fan of old school coaches - CJS is very similar in many ways to CKS is - I just hope we see similar results soon.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

Well, it was really bad. Only thing I liked was Liam coming back, and even he was ice cold in the first half. This was complete domination by Bama. We looked lost. We were totally out hustled. We cannot create and take a decent shot against a good athletic team. [sigh]

Box Score
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 pm

Ironic that this is exactly what CKS did but was blasted for throwing players under the bus. I'm a fan of old school coaches - CJS is very similar in many ways to CKS is - I just hope we see similar results soon.
What type of results are you looking for? This is a really bad look in year 4. The most disappointing part is how poorly we played in non-conference, this team is very much underperforming.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Not buying in? Ty was one of the few who was hustling the last few games. This reads like a personal beef till me.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Two different teams

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

This wasn't the same team or effort we saw at A&M. Combine the lack of effort, a highly motivated Alabama team playing at home, and a Vanderbilt roster without much depth, and you've got the perfect recipe for a beat down.

Unfortunately, we've seen this type of variance several times this year.

Is it the coach's fault? Is it the roster construction? Is it something else?

Personally, I think there's a lack of leadership on the team. And when the older players aren't ready to play or think the other team is better or has a brand name on the jersey (Alabama/Kentucky), there seems to be a downtick in energy and effort. Unfortunately, that's picked up by the younger players. Not every player falls under that spell, but something is missing, and old-school discipline and decreased playing time don't seem to motivate.

It's a hard road to build a roster these days.

With the transfer portal open and so quickly utilized, most programs/coaches that don't have built-in advantages have a fine line to walk. And let's face it, playing time is more important than the degree to a number of players. Add on NIL money for the better players, and it's a minefield.

Major college athletics is changing. And it's gonna get worse.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Wright and Stute should be the leaders of this team....but they are not leading. There is no one that appears to be doing that or getting team fired up when down. Stute 4 points....Wright zero!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:56 pm Wright and Stute should be the leaders of this team....but they are not leading. There is no one that appears to be doing that or getting team fired up when down. Stute 4 points....Wright zero!
JW had his bell rung. He left the game with lightheadedness per the Tennessean. Likely should not have played again after that collision with Robbins. Just hoping he’s ok.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 861068007/
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 pm

Stack indeed is old school in his approach just like Dean Smith and Bear Beyant. Unfortunately, this is not the good old days. I would put Corbin on the list of old school in today's world who is winning - Sabin, too. What those 2 modern day winners have done better than Stack is recruit. Here's hoping Stack can recruit the kind of players who respond and develop under old time discipline and expectations. I suspect Candice is old school in her philosophy, not sure about Chancellor who has put a lot of skin in the athletics game. We shall see what happens, but my prediction is we get a much better performance Saturday. Hope Wright is ok.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Look on the bright side: in football Vanderbilt only lost by 52 against Alabama
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Maybe there is a reason they are not buying in
Charlie Nickens
Ensign

Post by Charlie Nickens »

as if last night wasn't bad enough, while they were showing the 'handshake' line or whatever a stat was shown on the screen:

'BIGGEST WIN BY AN SEC TEAM IN A LEAGUE GAME SINCE 2003." The losing team in THAT fiasco was none other than Vandy,losing 106-44 to UK.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

When it appears that a majority of the team is not buying in, and you brought in the guys on the team, maybe its time to look in the mirror and reevaluate. I'm so done.
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

It's February and spring baseball is just around the corner...
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

The majority of the team IS buying in. Also- QMB is the leader of the team and not Wright/Stute.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:19 pm The majority of the team IS buying in. Also- QMB is the leader of the team and not Wright/Stute.
QMB is a very solid human being, but he has way too big a role on an SEC basketball team and has regressed materially since last season. Same can be said for Trey Thomas, shooting only 31% from 3pt and still averaging over 23 minutes a game.
Locked Previous topicNext topic