Stack post game radio interview.

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Stack post game radio interview.

Post by MemorialMagic »

Wow. He just roasted the team like I’ve never heard. Very calm demeanor but the words he chose were brutal.

Said he’d never been more disappointed in an effort by a team since he’s been here. Made a mockery of the game. Our guys were selfish (particularly the older ones). Our guys each tried to do it all themselves. Completely abandoned the team aspect. And when that didn’t work they sulked on defense.

Stack never holds back.

GoVU
Lieutenant

Re: Stack post game radio interview.

Post by GoVU »

For the first time in a long time I finally witnessed Calipari outcoach someone. They wanted to speed up tempo on every position and we made no adjustments.

Also, the way we came back on the floor after halftime was the saddest things I have seen in memorial gym in the 45 years I have been going to games. I turned to the people I was with and said ‘here comes the blow out”, and it did.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

So you were not at the 40 point loss to unranked and .500 Arkansas on March 6th of 2019?
We were outscored 55 - 23 in the second half.

I guess that would be "I wasn't there" as your answer.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

Yet the older guys will continue to get all the minutes…
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Stute 20 min 3 points (4 RB's)
Wright 17 min 2 points (4 RB's)
QMB 22 Min 0 points (1 RB)
Thomas 18 min 0 points (2 RB's)

Says it all!!

Great game Dia!!
Last edited by Nashmann on Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:37 pm So you were not at the 40 point loss to unranked and .500 Arkansas on March 6th of 2019?

I am sure I was there, and that was bad, but tonight they came out walking, no layup line, no running. The players were not even looking for basketballs to warm up with. I bet less than 20 warm up shots were taken by 12 players. It was sad. You could the “quit” in their body language before the horn sounded. Something I am not used to seeing in that building, but I guess we had better get used to.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Very disappointing how lifeless the team was after such a great performance in Athens, they’ve really played hard every SEC game. It showed all over the court tonight, not good and reminded me of a few December games.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

It was better than 106-44. Losing is relative
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Hope they listen to the coach: this team is inconsistent to accurately describe their performance. Older players have to be better or they won't play if I understand comments. Can someone pist link to Stack's comments.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Here's a link to the press conference via youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMmJhD2ycN8
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

credit to CJS for working through the bench last night; clear the upperclassmen were not having a good night (for a multitude of reasons).

Fundamentals were missing --
Outside shots with feet unset. You might get lucky and hit one, but a drifting 3 isn't going to hit often.
Compare Malik and his completely set form to that of the upperclassmen who were tossing it up from outside. Whether the finish is like Malik with feet grounded or is the more routine jump shot 3, it all starts with solid feet.

BOX OUT. Our guys have to stop with taking shots and hot dogging it backwards and taking themselves out of the rebound equation; if the shot is a miss, there's absolutely no reason for it to end up in the hands of an undefended UK player.

It was obvious that our guys were trying to draw fouls and couldn't get them to commit on many occasions. Unlike the all-freshman teams of recent years, this UK team was disciplined; they backed off on some of our shots to avoid contact, grabbed an often uncontested rebound on the missed shot, and ran their fast break on the ensuing play instead. Add their hustle into the equation, and UK repeatedly had a man or 2 advantage every time down the court which resulted in wide open looks for hot shooters.
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

While I believe UK played a fantastic game, we collectively laid a big egg. Check out this stat:

Combined, Stute, QMB, Thomas, and Wright go 1-16 from the field. The sky is not falling, this was just one of those nights. Happens.
Hutch37
Commander

Post by Hutch37 »

[/quote]

I am sure I was there, and that was bad, but tonight they came out walking, no layup line, no running. The players were not even looking for basketballs to warm up with. I bet less than 20 warm up shots were taken by 12 players. It was sad. You could the “quit” in their body language before the horn sounded. Something I am not used to seeing in that building, but I guess we had better get used to.
[/quote]

i said the same thing to my wife when they walked out of the locker roommate at halftime last night . The body language could not have been more obvious- somebody on the team has to find a way to get them fired up. I think it was a delayed reaction to losing our big guys and knowing that this season very well likely may be another tough one. Our coach is a warrior and we will have to find a way to recapture the passion and drive.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

utahozzie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:39 pm Yet the older guys will continue to get all the minutes…
Did you watch the game? Several starters rode the pine for the majority of the second half.
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

I agree that the older players were pulled in the 2nd half and it was the right things to do it seemed. I may start sounding like a broken record, and my apologies if I do that. Why was Thomas not treated the same as Wright, Stute, or even QMB? He played just as poorly, if not worse than some of them, but from all I saw he was continually put back in the game and seemed to accomplish much of nothing.

My next broken record comment is extremely frustrating to me. He mentioned in his post game comments on the radio about making sure the younger players get minutes when the older players aren't listening/performing as a team and so on....yet I don't believe Shelby was put in the game til there were just over 6 minutes remaining in the game! I know the comment about unhappiness with his shot selection and defense which are very important, but its like CJS holds Shelby to a much different standard that almost anyone else on the team. I know, I'm not the coach, nor should I ever be the coach, and I sure don't go to all the practices. I just don't get this "proving a point" type coaching of a Freshman, when most likely the only chance we had was to get hot from 3, so you don't play the player with probably the best 3pt shot on the team?

I agree with the coach about the frustrations he felt and disappointment with his team and promising that will never happen again. I thought that was right on, but he also didn't perform very well either. I realize mine and his opinion of time outs are not the same, but he waited until we got down by 18 points before he called his first time out!!!! For at least 3 possessions before this, I'm hearing people in the stands all shouting for a time out, I sat behind some very nice KY fans at the game that were from Murray, KY, and even they kept saying, why is your coach not calling a time out before this game gets completely out of reach? If he is going to blame his players, especially his older leaders, then he sure needs to learn to shoulder the blame along with them!
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

GoVU wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:59 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:37 pm So you were not at the 40 point loss to unranked and .500 Arkansas on March 6th of 2019?

Why are you expecting to get used to it? It sounds as if you want it to implode.
Locked Previous topicNext topic