So Mike White is also on the list …

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

So Mike White is also on the list …

Post by Golddore68 »

The list of SEC coaches who the refs won’t put up with anything from and immediately call technical fouls if they complain about calls.

CJS is also on the list, as we’ve seen in a couple of games this season and in past seasons.

Mike White complained about one block that he thought should have been a foul and got immediately T-ed up. He could have used the F word, but if he didn’t, that’s a short fuse.

There are some coaches who can chew out refs and get in their faces all game and even walk out of the coach’s box to get closer to the refs and they hardly ever get technical fouls. Calipari and Barnes were doing this all through the Kentucky-UT game last Saturday and neither ever got technicals. I’ll bet they could get away with saying F words and not get technicals.

It’s not right that the refs don’t treat all the coaches equally.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: So Mike White is also on the list …

Post by charlestonalum »

Are you complaining about SEC refs: the orignal good ole boys network that the SEC with all its money refuses to professionalize?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Several of the best college officials went to the NBA...Sean Corbin and Mark Lindsay, etc.
Which leaves more crappy officials in the college ranks.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

If CJS is on the list, he would have a technical in every game and a few ejections. I believe the refs give him a lot of slack and if I’m not mistaken, he has only had one technical in SEC play and his actions warranted that one. I think White wouldn’t have been T’ed if he had not been in the refs ear all the way to half court before the ref called the technical. The SEC refs give all the coaches a lot of slack, in my opinion.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Ndorefin wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:47 am If CJS is on the list, he would have a technical in every game and a few ejections. I believe the refs give him a lot of slack and if I’m not mistaken, he has only had one technical in SEC play and his actions warranted that one. I think White wouldn’t have been T’ed if he had not been in the refs ear all the way to half court before the ref called the technical. The SEC refs give all the coaches a lot of slack, in my opinion.
I respectfully disagree. Have you seen how much Calipari gets away with? He walks out of the coach’s box and yells at refs and doesn’t get technicals. Barnes gets in ref’s faces and doesn’t get technicals. Some coaches get more slack than others.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Cal had his toe on the 3-point arc on Saturday, talking to one of his players during a live ball sequence.

Even the play-by-play or color guy said: “Kentucky is playing 6-on-5”
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Golddore68 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:42 pm
Ndorefin wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:47 am If CJS is on the list, he would have a technical in every game and a few ejections. I believe the refs give him a lot of slack and if I’m not mistaken, he has only had one technical in SEC play and his actions warranted that one. I think White wouldn’t have been T’ed if he had not been in the refs ear all the way to half court before the ref called the technical. The SEC refs give all the coaches a lot of slack, in my opinion.
I respectfully disagree. Have you seen how much Calipari gets away with? He walks out of the coach’s box and yells at refs and doesn’t get technicals. Barnes gets in ref’s faces and doesn’t get technicals. Some coaches get more slack than others.
I can’t determine where we disagree?!?
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

So would you rather:
a). Have officials with a shorter fuse but call T's consistently when there is a textbook reason to do so?
or
b). Have officials with a longer fuse, who let coaches do their thing including walking out of the boxes, a couple feet onto the floor and plea for every call and react when they don't get their way?

Remember, there is no c) as that would involve officials using their own subjective discretion based on how offended they are and how much they respect the coaches involved.

I would prefer a) as that would keep the game in a more consistent, controlled fashion. If CJS has 28 T's because of it, he'd adjust because after about the 5th one as the school and conference would get involved. Calipari would just have to sit the whole game or he couldn't stay in the game.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:39 pm Cal had his toe on the 3-point arc on Saturday, talking to one of his players during a live ball sequence.

Even the play-by-play or color guy said: “Kentucky is playing 6-on-5”
Pearl did the same thing. Announcer said he was 15 feet onto th court.
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Two times in a row their 30 year old stud shoved Dia in the back with ref standing right beside him. This guy gets every call. These refs play right to the Kentucky crowd.
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

There was a KY fan sitting close to me who yelled almost every wildcat possession "Come on ref- call a foul."
He got a little quieter after I told him "Hey - this isn't Rupp."

CONQUER!!...., and PREVAIL!!!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Dorewithaflare wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:44 am Two times in a row their 30 year old stud shoved Dia in the back with ref standing right beside him. This guy gets every call. These refs play right to the Kentucky crowd.
IF sheeb-way makes an NBA roster...that's a big IFtoo...there are guys like Steven Adams who will clean his clock if he tries it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic