How old are the people on this board?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Re: How old are the people on this board?

Post by EagleDore »

55 - class of 89

I attended some incredible games / wins UNC, IU, UL, and sadly the horrible tennis ball game. Memorial was rocking, and it was crazy, fun, and electric. I recall the campus going crazy after the tournament win over Pitt. We used to camp out for tickets and take turns staying at our spot (we could get 8 student tix). Hopefully, we'll get back to those magical days. My dad & his sister & her husband all attended in the 50's so I started following football when I was a little kid. We didn't live in Nashville, but I started following basketball as a student.

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I'm 48 going on 49 in a few weeks, and looking dang fine for my age. :D :lol: VU class of 1996.

I was there when the #1 lady vols played #2 Vandy women at Memorial. Not many people went to women's games, but they gave away free tickets and the game got major national attention. Well, they gave out so many free tickets that Memorial was crammed and they had to close every exterior door, locking an angry mob outside as well as Vince Gill (who was supposed to sing the national anthem). The place was electric, although ewwwwtee won.

I think that same year, our mens team led by the GOATAV Billy McCaffrey beat #1 UK at Memorial. Myself and one of the football players were in the back row of the student section and it was ear-piercing loud all game long. It was close much of the game but UK never stood a prayer.

I also was unfortunate enough to be at the 65-0 drubbing by the orange team in football. I was one of the sad souls who stayed to the very end. Perhaps the highlight in football during my time there was my freshman year. We barely lost to Bama to open the season, we beat a Duke team that wasn't terrible, then hosted a ranked Ole Miss team and blew them out. After that, there wasn't much to see in football during my time there.

I did drive to the home games from the Dallas area until around 2009-10. Missed maybe one home game a year. Sounds like a lot, but those were fun, fun times. Tunica MS got to know me well.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: DallasDore

Post by Versus75 »

dallasdore wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:49 am
I did drive to the home games from the Dallas area until around 2009-10. Missed maybe one home game a year. Sounds like a lot, but those were fun, fun times. Tunica MS got to know me well.
Do you follow Vanderbilt Baseball? Three big games coming up in Arlington, Texas to start the season.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Versus75 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:01 pm
Do you follow Vanderbilt Baseball? Three big games coming up in Arlington, Texas to start the season.
I'm definitely wanting to go, not sure how to get tix. The games are about 25 minutes from me. Isn't that coming up in a couple weeks?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

dallasdore wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:21 pm
I'm definitely wanting to go, not sure how to get tix. The games are about 25 minutes from me. Isn't that coming up in a couple weeks?
February 17-19.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

dallasdore wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:21 pm
Ticket info here: https://globelifefield.com/event/colleg ... -20230219/
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

dallasdore wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:49 am I'm 48 going on 49 in a few weeks, and looking dang fine for my age. :D :lol: VU class of 1996.

I was there when the #1 lady vols played #2 Vandy women at Memorial. Not many people went to women's games, but they gave away free tickets and the game got major national attention. Well, they gave out so many free tickets that Memorial was crammed and they had to close every exterior door, locking an angry mob outside as well as Vince Gill (who was supposed to sing the national anthem). The place was electric, although ewwwwtee won.
I believe that is the one time I was at Memorial and managed to be in the front row, standing throughout the game and resting my arms on the court - which I could feel vibrate when the players dribbled the ball.

One of the coolest sports experiences I ever had.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Hate to set myself up but what’s with these live beam ads—I trust I’m not the only one getting them. Is it my age or being on a sports board?
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

geeznotagain wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:42 pm
A32Win wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:17 pm

Hagan knocked down 44 points one time at Miss St and still holds the highest per game mark in one season at 23.4 ppg. This of course was long before the three point shot.
I've seen some terrific shooters at Vandy over the years (beginning with the 65-66 season): McCaffrey, Jenkins, Cox, Foster and others ..... but if I got to pick my guy for the game-winning shot, it would be Hagan.
hagan’s so reliable jumpshot was near perfect….and the way he could pull up and fire it on the run is a rarity in my hoops-viewing experience.
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

61. I saw Perry Wallace play and a lot more besides.
Locked Previous topicNext topic