How old are the people on this board?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Re: How old are the people on this board?

Post by commadore »

66. Been a fan since the early 1960s. Had football season tickets from '67-74, then as a student. Went to as many BB games as I could, when tickets sold out in season tickets. VIT was always a favorite, since tickets were not part of the season ticket package. Missed only 2 games from 1974-78. Raised my Down Syndrome son to be a Vandy Fan and he became a bigger fan than me. He and I went to the Liberty Bowl and he was in heaven... right up until we lost. He cried, but later enjoyed some ribs. He died in 2012 right after the Missouri win. We lost the next week in a close one to Florida, but won the last 7. I credit him lobbying the REAL Big Guy on our behalf. He was buried in a Vandy tie and other VU stuff. Still a huge fan, but living 300 miles away it is tough to make it to too many games. Still, I'll die a DORE!

VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

30. Wish we had more support from student athletes who graduated the last 10 years!
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

76, class of '68
I find that the older I get the less interested I am in college sports. I was a season ticket holder for most of the time from '69 to 2019. The advent of forced electronic tickets, NIL, the NCAA north Carolina ruling, and the transfer portal pretty much soured me on the concept of "student-athlete". I know that it's always been iffy, but a least before the last few years we've been able to pretend that many of the colleges were playing within the rules (with a willing suspension of disbelief). Now it's $$$$$ and every man for himself, and VU will continue to try to educate it's students, making it virtually impossible to compete at the higher levels. Even the professional leagues have some method (salary caps, draft order, etc) to promote a modicum of parity, but the collegiate game has nothing, and is doomed unless some change is forthcoming. I probably won't live to see it, if it happens at all.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

76, class of '70 - too many zero credit hours plus a bit of time overseas between freshman and sophomore years.

Like many here have already commented, the craziness of Memorial in the mid-late '60's was the main hook for me. Due to family ties and my own time at VU, I would probably be a fan anyway - just not quite as invested.

As my signature indicates, I am hopeful that VU finds a way to navigate the new "collegiate" sports environment to become/remain competitive, but I am not terribly optimistic.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

commadore wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:34 pm 66. Been a fan since the early 1960s. Had football season tickets from '67-74, then as a student. Went to as many BB games as I could, when tickets sold out in season tickets. VIT was always a favorite, since tickets were not part of the season ticket package. Missed only 2 games from 1974-78. Raised my Down Syndrome son to be a Vandy Fan and he became a bigger fan than me. He and I went to the Liberty Bowl and he was in heaven... right up until we lost. He cried, but later enjoyed some ribs. He died in 2012 right after the Missouri win. We lost the next week in a close one to Florida, but won the last 7. I credit him lobbying the REAL Big Guy on our behalf. He was buried in a Vandy tie and other VU stuff. Still a huge fan, but living 300 miles away it is tough to make it to too many games. Still, I'll die a DORE!
We old timers do remember VU's biggest fan and certainly shared in your sorrow. God bless !
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

39. Class of 2006. I don't quite live and die with VU wins and losses like I did my first five years after graduating. But I'm a daily visitor to this board.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

64 Graduated from Owen and VLS in 84. Grad assistant baseball from 81 to 84. Spent more time on the field than in the classroom. Should have stayed with coaching :) Never missed a basketball game. Hutch Jones, Jeff Turner etc. Memorial always rocked.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

46...was there in '96 and '97...witnessed some truly horrific football with some of the most tragic losses imaginable and some mediocre basketball
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

48; class of 96 and 03 (grad)
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

PeteFox wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:20 am 76, class of '68 .... Now it's $$$$$ and every man for himself..... the collegiate game has nothing, and is doomed unless some change is forthcoming. I probably won't live to see it, if it happens at all.
Hi Pete: I'm sure this is best left to a separate thread, but I've thought about this a lot. The enormous amount of money will fix this sooner than later. Within 10-15 years, I think we'll have two (2) thirty-two (32) team college pro leagues divided into 4 divisions each. 64 pro college teams with rules, players unions and body of university owners that loosely connects to the NCAAs (still need NCAA for all the little schools). It will look a lot like the NFL. There will be enormous jockeying to see what universities end up in these two leagues. Vandy will no longer be protected as a SEC member, because the conferences will be effectively blown up. Our future will be determined, mostly, by the fortunes and efforts of Clark Lea. If we're competitive enough at that point, we may slip in.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

52 but look and feel 30. :D
sykology
Seaman

Post by sykology »

I'm 28. Class of 2016. Arrived on campus in 2012 and watched two 9-4 football seasons back to back and some good basketball years. Who knew that wasn't the norm? :D
Last edited by sykology on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BWSeven
Chief

Post by BWSeven »

65. Young enough to want to fight but old enough to know better.
VUgearhead
Rear Admiral

Post by VUgearhead »

55, and just arrived on campus as Coach C.M. Newton was getting the Bomb Squad on line. Been through many highs and lows since; the disastrous A.D. Holihan era, watching Billy Mac bring us to unexpected heights, the Ron Mercer debacle, Coach Stallings' ups and downs, and the lowest point CBD took us to.

I'm still hopeful the trajectory is still upwards.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

vandy05 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:53 pm 39. Class of 2006. I don't quite live and die with VU wins and losses like I did my first five years after graduating. But I'm a daily visitor to this board.
None of my business but curious anyway -- why vandy05 if you graduated in 06?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

geeznotagain wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:03 pm
vandy05 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:53 pm 39. Class of 2006. I don't quite live and die with VU wins and losses like I did my first five years after graduating. But I'm a daily visitor to this board.
I'll gladly tell it :)

Came to campus in the fall of 2001, but took five years to graduate :)
MountainDore
Lieutenant

Post by MountainDore »

59, VLS class of ‘88. I grew up a UT fan but got over it pretty quickly after arriving on campus. I too am a Baptist, but not a preacher. I find that familiarity with the book of Job helps.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

vandy05 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:07 pm
geeznotagain wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:03 pm
vandy05 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:53 pm 39.
I'll gladly tell it :)

Came to campus in the fall of 2001, but took five years to graduate :)
Must admit that I, too, graduated late (1976). But I’m still considered a member of the Class of ‘75.
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

I'm 65 and I remember when coach Skinner loved Tommy Gun Hagan so much that he named the new pet dog Hagan in his honor.

Hagan knocked down 44 points one time at Miss St and still holds the highest per game mark in one season at 23.4 ppg. This of course was long before the three point shot. Thanks to Adolph Rupp there was no dunking allowed. No freshmen could play for the varsity. They were just too green.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

A32Win wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:17 pm

Hagan knocked down 44 points one time at Miss St and still holds the highest per game mark in one season at 23.4 ppg. This of course was long before the three point shot.
I've seen some terrific shooters at Vandy over the years (beginning with the 65-66 season): McCaffrey, Jenkins, Cox, Foster and others ..... but if I got to pick my guy for the game-winning shot, it would be Hagan.
Locked Previous topicNext topic