How old are the people on this board?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: How old are the people on this board?

Post by geeznotagain »

ymtn64 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:24 am (somedays being a Baptist Minister doesn't allow me the freedom to travel)
Doesn't being a Baptist minister hinder your Vandy fandom?

Like:

1. Wondering if there is a God, and
2. "Conversing" with the refs (either in person or on the TV) when they make a bad call.

I am a Baptist myself (not a minister), so I speak from experience.

buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

46 years old. VUSE '99.
vandyman24
Petty Officer

Post by vandyman24 »

33. I may win the prize of youngest on the board. I rarely post but am a daily visitor of this board. I didn’t go to Vandy but have been a die hard fan for all 3 major sports. Being a university that values academics and having athletes that have traditionally stayed out of trouble were things that made me a Vandy fan. I also loved that our teams (with the exception of baseball since Corbs took over) had to win by being well coached and playing as a team, rather than winning games by having more talent. Anchor Down!
vandyman24
Petty Officer

Post by vandyman24 »

I will admit, having a baseball team that is talented and well coached is a lot of fun to watch!
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

geeznotagain wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:35 pm
ymtn64 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:24 am (somedays being a Baptist Minister doesn't allow me the freedom to travel)
Doesn't being a Baptist minister hinder your Vandy fandom?

Like:

1. Wondering if there is a God, and
2. "Conversing" with the refs (either in person or on the TV) when they make a bad call.

I am a Baptist myself (not a minister), so I speak from experience.
HAHAHA! Ok that is hilarious, and I might be using this the next time I'm teaching, thank you. Let's say #2 might be a place I have had a few issues with. I believe it was last season, and there was a timeout about the moment I decided to "share" with a ref that I thought his version of what was seen and called by him was not right. It was one of those rare moments without any noise in the gym, and suddenly this ref turned to look and listen to each word I was uummmm "passionately" sharing with him! He actually grinned as I finished, and several fans near us looked at me with jaws dropped. My mom reaches for my arm to suggest I might should sit back down as I finished, and let me know that she was a touch shocked everyone could hear me so well. One of those jaw dropped other fans near us quickly told her, well HE IS RIGHT, THAT WAS AN AWFUL CALL! We had a great laugh, but I decided this ref now knew my opinion so it was probably time for me to not complain anymore. My group still comments on this happening, and I never would say anything with foul language etc, but everyone loves to tease me that the Minister might of got a lil carried away. I always remind them, that ref got LOTS better for the rest of the game, but unfortunately the other 2 refs didn't get the same message :)
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

75 ("previously young" dude)....geez and i were evidently classmates. those skinner/lee/hagen/wallace/et al days are treasured memories.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

69 and no Beevis or Butthead remarks lol....Class of '76 came in with the F-Troop
Last edited by Nashmann on Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

Will be 62 in April.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

:lol: A gentleman never asks, a lady never tells… apparently this board is filled with neither!

42 - VUSE 2003
Mcflash
Lieutenant

Post by Mcflash »

72 at last count. Not a VU grad (Belmont) but did take a couple of classes at Peabody when it was a part of the University. My dad took me to games as a kid and my favorite players were Bill Depp, Bobby Bland, and John Russell. We used to go to the games early and watch the freshman team play with Clyde Lee and Snake Grace and John Ed Miller.

And yes, I was there for the Tennis Ball game, among thousands of others.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nashmann wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:03 pm 69 and no Beevis or Butthead remarks lol....

huhuhuhuh.... he said 69... huhuhuhuhuh
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

46. Peabody '98. My run at Vandy overlapped completely with that of Drew Maddux and never saw us beat UK during my 4 years there ... though I was present for the $@!!*&*)!@ Nazr Mohammed buzzer beater.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

69, Class of ‘75.

Listened to the radio call (was it Paul Eells at the time?) of Collis Temple stomping on VBK at LSU in 1974 then went to Tuscaloosa for our big win at Alabama and later for the NCAA Mideast Regional. Lost twice in that one. 😕
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

Soon to be 41. Didn’t attend Vandy but my dad and uncle sent me down this road as a kid.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:48 pm 69, Class of ‘75.

Listened to the radio call (was it Paul Eells at the time?) of Collis Temple stomping on VBK at LSU in 1974 then went to Tuscaloosa for our big win at Alabama and later for the NCAA Mideast Regional. Lost twice in that one. 😕
It was Paul Eells (VU's voice 1967-1978). "Holy smokes."
I rode the students' bus to that regular season game in Tuscaloosa. The bus's first stop was at Mrs. Mize's on Church Street.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Given the '"faith and football" exchanges concerning our Baptist minister fan, I must recommend a fun and thought-provoking book - God & Football: Faith and Fanaticism in the SEC by Chad Gibbs. Chad visited every SEC school and spent time with people of faith, discussed how it did or did not impact their fandom, and went to a game. Vandy is Chapter 1.

I am 71, going on 72, class of '73 and a 4-year member of the men's swimming team that existed back then.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I win with the most points, oops years. 84 yo, still practicing law and loving it.

Vandy Law, class of '65.

I remember going to the first integrated high school basketball tournament in 1965 and seeing Pearl High, with Perry Wallace, overwhelm the opposition. In 1964 I saw Vandy, wIth Clyde Lee, Snake Grane, John Ed Miller, Keith Thomas, and more, beat Duke, which was at the time ranked 1 or 2 in the country, in overtime. Memorial was crazy loud.
DicksonDore
Seaman

Post by DicksonDore »

I’m 40 soon to be 41 this upcoming weekend. Much like VandyManners, I didn’t attend Vandy but graduated from Austin Peay. I’ve been a lifelong Vandy fan and have been to Omaha twice to watch Vandy in the CWS, attended all the Vandy bowl games since I’ve been alive (with the exception of the Peach Bowl when I was a baby), experienced Memorial Magic, as well as plenty of heartache along the way. I’m often asked why Vandy? In my opinion, Vanderbilt is Nashville’s team. I grew up near Nashville, why would I cheer for UT in Knoxville? Vandy does things the right way (most of the time) which can’t be said regarding a lot of the competition. I hope to see more bowl games, NCAA tourney runs, and CWS appearances understanding that Vandy athletes excel in the classroom as well as against the toughest competition in the country.
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

64 - Tennessee Tech Class of 1980, but Vandy by birth. Hometown team. The tough times have made the good ones all the more SPECIAL AD*
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I find it interesting the gap in fandom ages here. And I salute the old guard on this board for the dedication and longevity in doing so. It appears we need an influx of fans or we are losing the vast majority of those who participate on the board and that's a shame.
Locked Previous topicNext topic