Colin Smith/Noah Shelby Injured?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VandyDores15
Ensign

Colin Smith/Noah Shelby Injured?

Post by VandyDores15 »

Neither played a single minute today, did they get injured? I find it very odd Dort goes down reducing rotation and both do not see floor. They both played over 10 minutes against Alabama. No one asked in press conference after game, but Stack’s gotta keep getting young guys minutes to keep them at Vandy. Barring a miracle run and major luck, this team will not see NCAA tournament so I don’t see purpose in completely ignoring the development of younger players.

VandyDores15
Ensign

Re: Colin Smith/Noah Shelby Injured?

Post by VandyDores15 »

I see Colin did play 4 minutes, but my points remain.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I think maybe CJS knows what he is doing.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Are you crazy, huge win: give guys and coach the credit they earned
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Well, we currently have no sophomores and if 2+ freshman decide to transfer bc of lack of development on a basketball team that isn’t remotely close to NCAA tournament, we have big roster trouble ahead without Robbins and most likely Wright next season. But if you’re happy playing older guys so we may have a shot at a 6 seed in NIT, be my guest. You’re overvaluing current situation and thinking a win at UGA is a big resume builder as we sit at 86th in POM with very challenging schedule next 5 games.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Grand Canyon is in 5th place in their little conference today behind Seattle, Utah Valley, Southern Utah...
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:59 pm I think maybe CJS knows what he is doing.
Georgia was undefeated at home and we are 2 big men down and our team and coach made a BIG statement. It does appear that Stack knows what he is doing and the team really is getting his toughness. Oh, and how about Trey at the line at crunch time. Maybe he deserves to play.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Some people just have to find something to nitpick, I suppose.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

I love how we’ve played so far in SEC, very impressive effort and toughness. But we need more input from younger players in day and age of insane transfer activity to keep them in program. If they aren’t good enough, then we’ve got bigger problems and if we were 14-5, I would be very satisfied with strategy and wouldn’t bring up. Our ‘21 freshman class was a disaster and we lose almost all current production/production after this season and next. I think there’s promise in this class, I just really hope they stay.

We aren’t a school who can add 4-5 transfers as a university in offseason. Juniors/Seniors played over 92% of minutes today. I’m glad we got the win and it’s impressive to win in Athens, but it’s a bit concerning when playing such an old team and staring down a mid-range NIT seed at best (barring a miracle run, like I mentioned).
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

In the post game tv interview, Jordan Wright said, “We have one of the best Xs and Os coaches in the nation.” Maybe he knows something the naysayers don’t.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I would like us to continue to add minutes to the frosh too, lots of great flashes. Today, I say hey, great win. I've been very opinionated and critical as many as pointed out. But today you can't take anything away from the performance from the coach and team. It was nearly a complete and perfect effort and I enjoyed watching this brand of basketball from our VU.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Agreed. My hope is we continue the rock solid pure coaching foundation and continue adding/keeping talent to stay highly competitive and consistently flirting with the Big Dance.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VandyDores15 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:37 pm Agreed. My hope is we continue the rock solid pure coaching foundation and continue adding/keeping talent to stay highly competitive and consistently flirting with the Big Dance.
Go to football board and read thread on report that VU has the fewest players going into the portal. The fear that we will lose our good players to portal because of playing time is not grounded in the reality that athletes who choose Vanderbilt understand that they are signing up for a top education in their sport AND one of the better universities in the country. It is overtly clear the players respect and like Stackhouse and the university is as popular as ever with students. I know we have lost players before, but I think the incessant worry that playing time is being inexpertly decided and will result in wholesale portal tranfer out is unwarranted. Let's wait and see what happens.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Glad to see some cooler heads prevailing on the board, including some who have been worried previously. Granted, after losing last years entire class, there is certainly reason for pessimism. However, charlestonalum makes some great points. There is also something to be said for a coach showing players that if you put in the work over the long haul, you will be rewarded for it in due time. I feel like that’s the mentality of a true Vanderbilt student athlete anyway. And not to denigrate all of last year’s players who left, because none of us knows their individual circumstances, but if they didn’t want to be at VU or felt it wasn’t a fit for them, it is better for all parties that they left. We should wait and see what transpires this off-season before we all become Chicken Little.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I tweeted the question about Smith and Shelby yesterday, and got a response from the VandySports guy, Joey Dwyer, about Shelby: "Coach expects more from him on the defensive end, and also his shot selection"

Cannot argue those points at all...

No mention of Smith. Could be just the way things were yesterday. Things were working with the guys on the floor.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I think I saw that Smith got his head banged in the game before Georgia. Maybe they were protecting him?
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

I am resigned to the fact that I, personally, have little understanding of much of this modern world.

If the head coach says, "take better shots, first look for your teammates before you shoot"-Uh, if I want to
play, why wouldn't I do exactly that?

"I want to see you commit to playing better defense"- Why would not I defend like a beast?

Sometimes it is all totally mystifying.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

VandyPhile wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:35 pm In the post game tv interview, Jordan Wright said, “We have one of the best Xs and Os coaches in the nation.” Maybe he knows something the naysayers don’t.
I have noted several SEC coaches comment on the schemes and sets CJS runs and the difficulty in guarding those…. They have nothing but praise for him! Of course, I hesitate to point this out since praising the other coach comes easy when you beat them everytime, but I don’t believe Oates and especially Barnes hand out undeserved compliments.
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

VUaskew wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:15 pm I tweeted the question about Smith and Shelby yesterday, and got a response from the VandySports guy, Joey Dwyer, about Shelby: "Coach expects more from him on the defensive end, and also his shot selection"

Cannot argue those points at all...

No mention of Smith. Could be just the way things were yesterday. Things were working with the guys on the floor.
That is helpful to know, and yes not surprising either. I do think things were working with the guys that were playing, and I get not wanting to change that much, but I would think when so short manned that one of the best shooters on the team could of helped. This is why I'm not the coach, so I will keep cheering and watching this development. Shelby and Dort both seem like they will quickly become two of my favorite players! Smith is very unique to me. He does many things well, and his length give him an advantage that is different than anyone else on the team, but I can see how at times his defense has been an issue as well.

Hopefully both players get to play tomorrow night, and respond well because we will need all the help we can get for this upset victory!
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Keeping players I believe depends a lot on what coaches tell them in order to sign them....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic