Very interesting analysis re: the ability of teams to go on "runs"

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Very interesting analysis re: the ability of teams to go on "runs"

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Vanderbilt fares poorly relative to giving up scoring runs and not being able to go on runs of our own. I'm sure there are likely several possible reasons for this, many of which have been discussed here: resistance to calling timeouts, no reliably consistent shooters, no alphas on the team, etc.
Here's the analysis for all power conference teams:

Jason94
Admiral

Re: Very interesting analysis re: the ability of teams to go on "runs"

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:44 am Vanderbilt fares poorly relative to giving up scoring runs and not being able to go on runs of our own. I'm sure here are likely several possible reasons for this, many of which have been discussed here: resistance to calling timeouts, no reliably consistent shooters, no alphas on the team, etc.
Here's the analysis for all power conference teams:
That is a pretty damning graphic. We are essentially an outlier in a bad way. Hopefully there are elements of luck involved, but looking at teams on the opposite corner of the graphic and I see a bunch of really good teams (UT, Houston, Iowa State, Ohio State, UCLA) while the teams in our corner of graphic for the power conference only tend to be really bad teams - Louisville, USC, FSU, CAL, BC.

I'd put another reason for our inability to go on runs ourselves - relatively poor defense. In the Arkansas game where we scored 60+ points in the 2nd half, we still gave up 84 points, which is not good. Our defense was the 40th most efficient last season and I thought we would be good against this year with such a strong cadre of returning post players, but we have collapsed to 152nd in defensive efficiency. I'd guess that this is showing the pretty wide gap between having Pippen on the court as well as Chatman compared to Thomas and Manjon, who just by their size are going to struggle to be stoppers, and Thomas has other issues like his strength and quickness. Otherwise with Robbins playing a lot more and essentially blocking everything there isn't a reason why we should be so much worse on defense.
Vandy5
Ensign

Post by Vandy5 »

This hammers home our big issue is one a bad defense and two to be touched on later

Team state rankings last year and this

Off Eff last year 178
Now 110

Def Eff last year 78
Now 170

Team rebounds rank last year 203
Now 42

Team Eff FG % last year 166
Now 208

Team FT % last year 248
Now 189

Team Turnovers last year 223
Now 95

So some better this year, some worse. Worse defensive team but I would say slightly better overall.

But this is comparing to a 7-11 team that finished 11th in an overall worse SEC.

I think most of us expect a better standard.

Stack is a good coach, ask the other SEC coaches, could improve sub pattens and TO usage. But this team plays as hard and tough as any I’ve seen in 47 years.

The big issue is point #2, we just need more talented players. Reviewing the years of our incoming freshman don’t see a huge talent infusion.

Need to hit portal. Stack gets the most out of most of his players, he just has to move up in the talent pool to get where we want to go.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I haven't looked up any stats to support this, but it felt like we had two completely different teams last year: VUMBB with Chatman+Robbins and VUMBB without. Looking al last season's stats is going to be an average of these two very different teams.

We have one good game this year without Robbins and Dort. Hopefully we can avoid the Jekyll/Hyde thing with two key players out.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Thanks for posting this. This is neat information. Albeit not very glamorous for Vanderbilt, but cool information.
Locked Previous topicNext topic