Next year's roster

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Next year's roster

Post by Vandy187187 »

So for sure Liam is gone, Ansong is gone, QMB is gone. If I was Wright, I'd be gone. He's proven he can't be "the guy" so why not transfer to a place you can be 6th man of the year and compete for a championship. He will already have the degree. That's 4 gone. Manjon doesn't have to stay as a senior either. Maybe 5 gone.

We have 6 freshman, if the past proves correct probably half of them will leave they don't play anyway and probably have a grudge that they aren't because we are a sub .500 team and inferior players are ahead of them. We can't rebuild with transfers.

What does 2024 (year 5) look like in this scenario?

memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Re: Next year's roster

Post by memphisVUalum »

Unless Wright needs to go elsewhere in order to go to graduate school or something, if he has eligibility here I would think he would stay. If Manjon has eligibility, I would think he would stay as well. I also don't see the freshmen leaving since they know they'll play a lot more or start. Cynical view. Those freshmen weren't going to start ahead of juniors and seniors at any other SEC school and most kids come in understanding seniority and some red shirt.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

memphisVUalum wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:48 pm Unless Wright needs to go elsewhere in order to go to graduate school or something, if he has eligibility here I would think he would stay. If Manjon has eligibility, I would think he would stay as well. I also don't see the freshmen leaving since they know they'll play a lot more or start. Cynical view. Those freshmen weren't going to start ahead of juniors and seniors at any other SEC school and most kids come in understanding seniority and some red shirt.
How many freshman have stayed at VU in the past 4 years? Lots of playing time available the past few years too. I mean honestly who is scared of Thomas and Lawrence for playing time as a freshman they are our only guards with seniority after Pippen left. Same situation as last year and the year before that but everyone left anyway. If they stunk then that's a talent evaluation problem which is also not good for the future.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

Vandy187187 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:52 pm
memphisVUalum wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:48 pm Unless Wright needs to go elsewhere in order to go to graduate school or something, if he has eligibility here I would think he would stay. If Manjon has eligibility, I would think he would stay as well. I also don't see the freshmen leaving since they know they'll play a lot more or start. Cynical view. Those freshmen weren't going to start ahead of juniors and seniors at any other SEC school and most kids come in understanding seniority and some red shirt.
How many freshman have stayed at VU in the past 4 years? Lots of playing time available the past few years too. I mean honestly who is scared of Thomas and Lawrence for playing time as a freshman they are our only guards with seniority after Pippen left. Same situation as last year and the year before that but everyone left anyway. If they stunk then that's a talent evaluation problem which is also not good for the future.
it sounds like you are pretty sure, so maybe I am wrong about anyone staying. I'll read about it in here.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

With "fans" like 187187 we don't need enemies. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, even their agenda, on message boards, so I suppose we will continue to get gloom and doom from 187187 until he is proven wrong or unable to see it. That would be sooner or later - probably later.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Lawrence may prove to be one of the better players in recent VU history if he stays this year and the next two. He has shown vast improvement upon being completely healthy and being given an opportunity that wasn't there with SPJ. Remember he was a higher-rated recruit than SPJ.

Lawrence played last night like he had a little bit of sack and held his own with Alabama. I don't know of any current freshmen who could have unseated him.

Same for Ezra. Now Thomas is a different situation. If he's not hitting shots (and too often he isn't) he should sit in favor of Shelby (who isn't exactly lights out at the moment) or Lewis.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Oh, by the way - ask Dylan Disu and Shane DeZonie how they are enjoying their limited minutes at TX and Temple. Ditto Braelee Albert.

Gabe Dorsey and Isaac McBride are significant contributors a their respective schools, but they are a lesser level of competition, If we lose any of the freshmen, it won't likely be to a "better" program or conference.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:54 pm With "fans" like 187187 we don't need enemies. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, even their agenda, on message boards, so I suppose we will continue to get gloom and doom from 187187 until he is proven wrong or unable to see it. That would be sooner or later - probably later.
The terminus will be loss of ability to type.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

No reason to thing Wright is gone, if he still has a year of eligibility. Stute and Lawrence will be back. Shelby and Dort are going to be studs for us next year. So, right there is a pretty decent group of 5. I haven't mentioned Smith who has been getting significant minutes, or Thomas. So, that's a group of 7, even if we have some attrition further back in the freshman class.

Add to that our incoming freshmen. And possibly someone from the transfer portal. We're fine. Until I hear something solid instead of random meanderings about "well people always leave", I have every expectation that we'll be better next year than this year. Even without Liam.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:36 pm Oh, by the way - ask Dylan Disu and Shane DeZonie how they are enjoying their limited minutes at TX and Temple. Ditto Braelee Albert.

Gabe Dorsey and Isaac McBride are significant contributors a their respective schools, but they are a lesser level of competition, If we lose any of the freshmen, it won't likely be to a "better" program or conference.
Odusipe is up to 1.5ppg at his new school...Kent State.
Max Evans played in 4 games at TCU... 3.8ppg
Oton J. has played in 4 games this season and averages 1.0ppg
Terren Frank is actually averaging 10ppg for Idaho but their schedule includes Walla-Walla and Northwest Indian College. Not sarcastic. They played those "opponents."
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:54 pm With "fans" like 187187 we don't need enemies. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, even their agenda, on message boards, so I suppose we will continue to get gloom and doom from 187187 until he is proven wrong or unable to see it. That would be sooner or later - probably later.
When we get to the NCAA again in say 3-4-5 years at this rate I'll be more positive. Winning/results matter. And right now, we don't have enough of that. If you want to just sit back and be happy about where we are with rose colored glasses be my guest.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

mathguy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:21 pm No reason to thing Wright is gone, if he still has a year of eligibility. Stute and Lawrence will be back. Shelby and Dort are going to be studs for us next year. So, right there is a pretty decent group of 5. I haven't mentioned Smith who has been getting significant minutes, or Thomas. So, that's a group of 7, even if we have some attrition further back in the freshman class.

Add to that our incoming freshmen. And possibly someone from the transfer portal. We're fine. Until I hear something solid instead of random meanderings about "well people always leave", I have every expectation that we'll be better next year than this year. Even without Liam.
No offense but if you think we will be better without Liam, that's like saying we were going to be better without Pippen. There would have to be GIANT leaps in development for this team to be .500 next year too.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I don't think it's about freshmen starting. I think it's just about minutes. And right now they get next to no minutes per game, except Smith who gets 11 minutes a game against <5 for everyone else from a freshman perspective.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:50 pm
VUaskew wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:36 pm Oh, by the way - ask Dylan Disu and Shane DeZonie how they are enjoying their limited minutes at TX and Temple. Ditto Braelee Albert.

Odusipe is up to 1.5ppg at his new school...Kent State.
Max Evans played in 4 games at TCU... 3.8ppg
Oton J. has played in 4 games this season and averages 1.0ppg
Terren Frank is actually averaging 10ppg for Idaho but their schedule includes Walla-Walla and Northwest Indian College. Not sarcastic. They played those "opponents."
Remind me. Who recruited Odusipe, Dorsey, Daniels, Dezonie, etc that transferred out and didn't produce elsewhere either at lower competition? We lost an entire class in 2021.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Remind us who lost 20 games in a row with 5 future pro players?
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:30 pm Remind us who lost 20 games in a row with 5 future pro players?
You keep bring up Drew. Why do you say I'm a Drew guy. Serious question because outside of his initial hiring which seemed like an good fit, his performance I was not too keen of and applauded his firing.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

During his 20 game losing streak, not once did you post on here calling for his removal.

Much less go on massive posting binges about his dismal failing. Ever.

You are not fooling anybody with your anti-Stack histrionics.

28 posts since the end of last night's game. You fool nobody.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

mathguy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:21 pm No reason to thing Wright is gone, if he still has a year of eligibility. Stute and Lawrence will be back. Shelby and Dort are going to be studs for us next year. So, right there is a pretty decent group of 5. I haven't mentioned Smith who has been getting significant minutes, or Thomas. So, that's a group of 7, even if we have some attrition further back in the freshman class.

Yes this is how i was feeling about it. I get worn out from constant drumbeats of doom. I'm not interested in dwelling in gloom. That is not why I follow sports. Sports is to escape the daily politics hell, not get immersed in more melodrama. When a game ends, I dont want to wrap myself in the downside of everything.

Though I am hopeful we can do something next year, I am still devastated about Liam's injury. He had the determination and will to win and that is hard to replace this season.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

If Liam is healthy down the stretch and the team is playing well but the record isn’t good enough for the NIT, I would suggest accepting a bid to the CBIT or whatever.

The players on their last hurrah (especially Robbins) can show their stuff to scouts and Vanderbilt might make a good run to win something for the trophy case.
Locked Previous topicNext topic