Honest question

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Re: Honest question

Post by doubledore9603 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:17 am
Vandy187187 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:42 pm Stack has admitted that he is learning the college game. He was a pro always coached pros in the G-league. Those guys are under contract. His student athletes can leave at the drop of the hat for the next team. Does Stack realize this?

Just like does he realize that when you lose a game you are less likely to go to the post season? He talked about preseason games, i.e. non SEC games. Does he realize that you need to win as many as you can to go to the post season? He talked about winning championships, does he know you can't win a championship if you don't get to the dance? Does he know that if a player can't transfer they aren't any good? So we can't take transfers in as it's a tight window like Coach Ralph said? If you are about player development to improve your program doesn't that mean that young players have to play?

All I see if conflicting statements, excuses, and a coach that refuses to change his ways because it's his team and he will run it as he sees fit. Maybe that's why the gym is half full of fans. Does he want to alienate the fans he has with what he is doing?

I really think he can win and do well. But in year 4 he needs to do something to show that he is learning. I haven't seen that so far. With Liam out 4-6 weeks, he's in big trouble unless he starts to learn fast how to keep his job
In your case, there is at least one "fan" the program is better off without.

Grand Canyon called. They appreciate your support.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Vandy187187 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:42 pm Stack has admitted that he is learning the college game. He was a pro always coached pros in the G-league. Those guys are under contract. His student athletes can leave at the drop of the hat for the next team. Does Stack realize this?

Just like does he realize that when you lose a game you are less likely to go to the post season? He talked about preseason games, i.e. non SEC games. Does he realize that you need to win as many as you can to go to the post season? He talked about winning championships, does he know you can't win a championship if you don't get to the dance? Does he know that if a player can't transfer they aren't any good? So we can't take transfers in as it's a tight window like Coach Ralph said? If you are about player development to improve your program doesn't that mean that young players have to play?

All I see if conflicting statements, excuses, and a coach that refuses to change his ways because it's his team and he will run it as he sees fit. Maybe that's why the gym is half full of fans. Does he want to alienate the fans he has with what he is doing?

I really think he can win and do well. But in year 4 he needs to do something to show that he is learning. I haven't seen that so far. With Liam out 4-6 weeks, he's in big trouble unless he starts to learn fast how to keep his job

Bryce Drew called. He said thanks but no thanks for all the free space in your head.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Your nephew Will Healy called. He appreciated you urging VU to hire him that time even though he was a horrible choice and failed miserably on the low mid-major level. Most of the VS posters were in on that.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Obviously Vanderbilt can use all the fans it can get. So telling people to take a hike who really are fans just shows what society is today. Disagree with someone and write them off, attack, call them names whatever. I should probably stop donating too I guess to the program every year.

It's ok if we disagree on where we are and what we think needs to change to become a program that wins more than it losses again. One that goes to the NCAA regularly. If you want to sit here and say 9-9 before the rest of conference season is good enough that's your opinion. I like to see winning programs not perennial mediocre to bad teams like we have had for a long time now.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:21 pm

Obviously Vanderbilt can use all the fans it can get. So telling people to take a hike who really are fans just shows what society is today. Disagree with someone and write them off, attack, call them names whatever. I should probably stop donating too I guess to the program every year.

It's ok if we disagree on where we are and what we think needs to change to become a program that wins more than it losses again. One that goes to the NCAA regularly. If you want to sit here and say 9-9 before the rest of conference season is good enough that's your opinion. I like to see winning programs not perennial mediocre to bad teams like we have had for a long time now.
thicken your skin, laddies…..and continue supporting your dores. doctor’s orders.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:16 am
1871, your fandom is tirsesome, incessant criticism of our coach. Vanderbilt hired the coach with no college coaching experience. Recruiting at Vanderbilt is very challenging and especially to someone who has never ever done it. Tonight the players were in the game late against the best team in SEC without arguably the best center in SEC. We were ice cold from 3 and we were there at the end. I like Stack a lot more than Stallings and we will see how his tenure turns out. Find something to like for a change, my friend, or at least throttle back on the continuous crticism that is so repetitive. A suggestion: using your expert analysis, tell us the effect of not having Liam for next 6 weeks and what a good coach can do to make up for that loss.
Ok. I'll give it a shot. So Stack says we are a 3 point shooting team, but yet we shoot 32% from 3 and we miss a lot of open looks. If you say you are a 3 point shooting team then you better have shooters who can shoot the 3. I'm pretty sure 4 years in that if we were a 3 point shooting team we would have recruited more 3 point shooters. He praised the depth of our team and defense and talked about pressing teams and throwing all our bodies at them. I can't remember us pressing/trapping for more than 1 or 2 possessions when we needed a TO all season. Do we switch defenses from zone to man etc to throw off teams with our defensive prowess as a defensive team? Nope. We turn the ball over more than we create turnovers. How about playing time? Shelby, Dia, Dort, Keefe have all played less than 100 minutes in nearly 20 games. Smith has played the most at 277 minutes of all the freshman. Stute, Lawrence and Majon have 450-500 minutes each but Robbins and Wright have 375-400. Our players who play the most score the least and rebound the worst and are our worst defenders.

I'm dumbfounded that Dort hasn't played more. The kid makes his own offense with rebounds, put backs and easy buckets. Plus he is a block machine. On the other hand QMB has played 180 more minutes of much less production per minute in every single stat you can measure. Shelby is our best shooter on the team but his shot selection isn't the best but that's because if you don't play in games you don't improve as much as you otherwise would have. There is no reason why these 2 shouldn't be playing 10-15 minutes a game.

We have out rebounded our opponents by 60! And offensive rebounds we have out rebounded our opponents by 40. Yet we are 9-9 record wise.

We have an offensive identity problem and it stems from our lineups, minutes played and who we are playing.

With so little minutes to our freshman their development is stunted. And when freshman play beginning to end of a season they jump from freshman to sophomore development in season. We aren't getting that development because of a lack of minutes.

What would I do? The exact opposite of what is being done. More aggressive D, less 3's, more playing time for freshman. More structured offense on motion and easy buckets vs jacking up 3's we can't hit.

Our starting lineup needs to change and 2nd half lineup. 1 game it worked. The rest of the time we were down 5-10-15 points in the first 4 minutes of the game or the 2nd half. That's the difference between winning and losing close games that Stack says it's about time we win.
Last edited by Vandy187187 on Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

docdore wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:39 pm
Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:21 pm

thicken your skin, laddies…..and continue supporting your dores. doctor’s orders.
My skin is thick. This guy likes to tell everybody on here to take a hike that he doesn't agree with. That's why I responded like an adult not a child.
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

memphisVUalum wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:45 pm That's a pretty literal and selective cherrypicking of one sentence he once said; now you use it to condemn his abilities with after we just lost to #4 Alabama by 12 after LSU lost by 40 while we were down our best player. As though we were favored to win. Personally, I don't see the situation this way. The chances are low for most teams to beat Alabama this season even with all their players healthy and the best of coaches. I'm still focused on the loss of Liam too much to go through the fan mood swing attack mode right now.
I'm reminded of a story about a group of Confederate veterans which included a few former generals sitting around a table discussing the reasons that they didn't win the Civil War. One man placed the blame squarely on Jefferson Davis while another said it was Gen. Bragg who was at fault and yet another pointed the finger at Longstreet.
Finally, they asked Gen. Joe Johnston why he thought they had lost the war? The former commander of the Army of Tenn looked up and replied, "I always thought that the Yankees had something to do with it."
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

Interesting commentaries. The simple fact is that highly ranked programs excel developing players over the years. Kansas, Purdue, Houston, UCLA, and Gonzaga are led by upperclassmen. It’s rare that freshman contribute unless they are 5 stars like Miller, Amari Bailey, Anthony Black, and Keyonte George. The freshman are typically not physically and more importantly mentally ready. The SEC is loaded with 4 top 25 teams and 10 teams who have win 12+ games. If we win at least 9 games and beat 2 ranked teams we make it to the NCAA tournament being in the 2nd best conference in the nation.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

It's like I have always asked, what is the expectation for Vanderbilt Basketball? Do we think Vandy should be trying to get to a final 4 every year? Or do we want Vandy to just get into the Tourney every year? Or are we satisfied with the Stallings approach and be a competitive team that makes the tourney every few years? As we all know the goals determine the process. I am assuming most fans are like me and would love to see a Vanderbilt program that makes the tourney every year with a shot at a final four ever so often.

It all starts with recruiting. I think Stack is doing an ok job at recruiting, looks like we are consistently getting 4-star caliber players. I would love for him to get a couple of big fish occasionally that would make us consistently good night in and night out. I still think Stack is learning how to be a coach at this level and that is fine with me. My critique of Stack would be we need to find a way to be consistent with playing at a high level every night. That really is what separates great teams and good teams. There are times we look very impressive and then we will follow up with a terrible night. We also need to be consistent from the beginning of the season to the end, seems like we struggle early and get better as the year goes on. If you look at the last 4 games against ranked teams, we really have played well for the most part and that is against ranked opponents. If we had that level of play at the beginning of the season, we probably win most of our non-conference games. I still think the program is heading in the right direction, Rome was not built in a day. I still am willing to support Stack and see how things progress. We need to make the tourney next year 23-24 season. I think that is the next milestone for him and the program. We may still make it this year but I doubt it. We will see.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VandyManners wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:00 am It's like I have always asked, what is the expectation for Vanderbilt Basketball? Do we think Vandy should be trying to get to a final 4 every year? Or do we want Vandy to just get into the Tourney every year? Or are we satisfied with the Stallings approach and be a competitive team that makes the tourney every few years? As we all know the goals determine the process. I am assuming most fans are like me and would love to see a Vanderbilt program that makes the tourney every year with a shot at a final four ever so often.

It all starts with recruiting. I think Stack is doing an ok job at recruiting, looks like we are consistently getting 4-star caliber players. I would love for him to get a couple of big fish occasionally that would make us consistently good night in and night out. I still think Stack is learning how to be a coach at this level and that is fine with me. My critique of Stack would be we need to find a way to be consistent with playing at a high level every night. That really is what separates great teams and good teams. There are times we look very impressive and then we will follow up with a terrible night. We also need to be consistent from the beginning of the season to the end, seems like we struggle early and get better as the year goes on. If you look at the last 4 games against ranked teams, we really have played well for the most part and that is against ranked opponents. If we had that level of play at the beginning of the season, we probably win most of our non-conference games. I still think the program is heading in the right direction, Rome was not built in a day. I still am willing to support Stack and see how things progress. We need to make the tourney next year 23-24 season. I think that is the next milestone for him and the program. We may still make it this year but I doubt it. We will see.
Well stated: agree.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Oddly, we have a particular poster who has been silent since about 2:20 pm.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

commadore wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:52 pm Oddly, we have a particular poster who has been silent since about 2:20 pm.
The one who posted exactly 28 times in 23 hours after the Bama game?

And several other Stack haters have vacated the premises completely.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Actually Vandy 1817... has posted a couple of positive responses to yesterday in a different thread. He acknowledges that Stack coached "a near perfect game" yesterday to paraphrase.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:22 am Actually Vandy 1817... has posted a couple of positive responses to yesterday in a different thread. He acknowledges that Stack coached "a near perfect game" yesterday to paraphrase.
Yeah, but that was well after my post above.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

commadore wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:52 am
charlestonalum wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:22 am Actually Vandy 1817... has posted a couple of positive responses to yesterday in a different thread. He acknowledges that Stack coached "a near perfect game" yesterday to paraphrase.
Yeah, but that was well after my post above.
What are you talking about? I posted several times both in the game thread and in other threads immediately after the game too. I figure no reason to harp on things after a nice road win. Go back and re-read
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

It pains me to say this, but Liam’s 3’s may have been the difference in the game.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Liam Robbins in the post-game radio interview:
“Our confidence is instilled by our coaching staff…we’re confident because they’re confident in us.”

Can we please lay the debate over CJS and staff to rest for a minute? I know it’s easy to say after a good week. But the players are bought in and obviously feel supported.
That matters.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

A hard-fought great game!! Kudos to Stack & the team(and assistants)....GO DORES!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic